IGNORED

Louis Britton

Bainsey

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I thought he was a decent player... obviously struggled with injury but put it about and troubled and unsettled defenders.

He's not a goal machine, but I'd rather have that style of player and made it difficult, allowing others to contribute than how we play with Fam.

I really liked him, I'd have him back in a heart beat.

Clearly far fitter now, 30+ games a season for the last 2 years. Who were the medical team when he was here?

I've mentioned in a couple of matchday threads about giving him a go in the first team and was pleased to see him get some minutes and notch on Saturday. He has been picked up late from non-league football. He was catching the eye of a few league clubs at Mangadoo. He isn't the quickest, but he knows where the back of the net is. For a young lad he has strength and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Decent in the air and has good positioning.

He needs a few good workouts pre-season and needs to work on fitness levels, but he is definitely an option to consider for next season. He will score goals and we'll need those next season. 

2 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

I've mentioned in a couple of matchday threads about giving him a go in the first team and was pleased to see him get some minutes and notch on Saturday. He has been picked up late from non-league football. He was catching the eye of a few league clubs at Mangadoo. He isn't the quickest, but he knows where the back of the net is. For a young lad he has strength and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Decent in the air and has good positioning.

He needs a few good workouts pre-season and needs to work on fitness levels, but he is definitely an option to consider for next season. He will score goals and we'll need those next season. 

Well if you've just scored in the Championship what more impetus do you need to focus on being fit and ready work work your nuts off for a lucrative professional career? As with all the recent debutants, I hope he maximises his potential (with us).

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Imo...looking at his legs...he just isn't one of those players that you will ever get quick, regardless of training.

Genetics can be a real ball ache and hold back natural talent in other parts. Seen it so many times with various players.

How many absolutely brilliant technical natural footballers have we seen over the years, let down at certain levels due to physical fitness ability...

It's a shame football has come down to speed and fitness over technical ability, flair and imagination. I know which I'd prefer to watch.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Imo...looking at his legs...he just isn't one of those players that you will ever get quick, regardless of training.

Genetics can be a real ball ache and hold back natural talent in other parts. Seen it so many times with various players.

How many absolutely brilliant technical natural footballers have we seen over the years, let down at certain levels due to physical fitness ability...

It's a shame football has come down to speed and fitness over technical ability, flair and imagination. I know which I'd prefer to watch.

I'm involved in grassroots football; and have quite a lot of dealings with Academies through JPL etc.

The first rule for these academies seems to be nowadays athletic ability; Strength, power, height, speed. They always say that you can then coach the player based on these raw attributes.

As you say, a shame; because if you are small; you have to be so much better than your counterparts to get picked up.

It all comes down to what they believe a modern day footballer should look like in the end.

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I'm involved in grassroots football; and have quite a lot of dealings with Academies through JPL etc.

The first rule for these academies seems to be nowadays athletic ability; Strength, power, height, speed. They always say that you can then coach the player based on these raw attributes.

As you say, a shame; because if you are small; you have to be so much better than your counterparts to get picked up.

It all comes down to what they believe a modern day footballer should look like in the end.

And imo...it's been detrimental to football.

They used to call it the beautiful game.

I honestly believe from watching, that the quality of football in the Championship has gone down hill massively. The athletic ability on the other hand, has increased massively. I cringe at some of the basic footballing errors I see. Even to play at a decent amateur level you could cross a ball to a player...either front, middle or near post. It was a given...and easy. I find it incredulous how poor crossing is...it's totally embarrassing for professionals, let alone amateurs. Yet they Ponce about like they are god's gift. That's just one example...but it's across all skills in football. Like you say...they are athletes first that they try to coach football too. I know far more gifted amateurs that would never compete athletically.

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Do they still look at age ' brackets'?

I remember reading a while back that most professional sports people were born between September and January. Basically the oldest in your year at school. You developed quicker.

I can remember coming back from school holidays as a kid and being astonished at how quickly in that 6 weeks some had developed.

It happened to myself. I went from being very average, to having a growth spurt and full of energy and testosterone. Literally a different player basically overnight so to speak. 

I was professional in another sport, and saw the same thing happen with kids. I was constantly fighting with coaches to keep an eye out for kids who'd been discarded for late development, but had natural attributes. 

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

I remember reading a while back that most professional sports people were born between September and January. Basically the oldest in your year at school. You developed quicker.

I can remember coming back from school holidays as a kid and being astonished at how quickly in that 6 weeks some had developed.

It happened to myself. I went from being very average, to having a growth spurt and full of energy and testosterone. Literally a different player basically overnight so to speak. 

I was professional in another sport, and saw the same thing happen with kids. I was constantly fighting with coaches to keep an eye out for kids who'd been discarded for late development, but had natural attributes. 

I know there is evidence…..but won’t that development even out in adulthood?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

https://thecorrespondent.com/406/the-curious-tale-of-the-football-international-nobody-ever-heard-of-because-he-was-born-in-the-wrong-month/956291182-abe2ca3e

This is a great article I read on the subject. Really interesting. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They get overlooked more as they get older Dave. Not sure why...but it seems ingrained. Same as Pro footballers last contract being approx 29. People are fitter and younger physically at a later age these days. Mid 30s should now become more normal. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And imo...it's been detrimental to football.

They used to call it the beautiful game.

I honestly believe from watching, that the quality of football in the Championship has gone down hill massively. The athletic ability on the other hand, has increased massively. I cringe at some of the basic footballing errors I see. Even to play at a decent amateur level you could cross a ball to a player...either front, middle or near post. It was a given...and easy. I find it incredulous how poor crossing is...it's totally embarrassing for professionals, let alone amateurs. Yet they Ponce about like they are god's gift. That's just one example...but it's across all skills in football. Like you say...they are athletes first that they try to coach football too. I know far more gifted amateurs that would never compete athletically.

Linking these comments to another thread just created re Semenyo. 
He’s exactly what you describe. He looks like a superb specimen, strong, athletic. 
But at present, he rarely gets a decent first touch and when dribbling he hardly seems to have the ball under control, and when shooting he seems to have a rush of blood. 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s huge potential with Semenyo, but he’s definitely one who is ‘athlete first’, ‘footballer second’. 

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Linking these comments to another thread just created re Semenyo. 
He’s exactly what you describe. He looks like a superb specimen, strong, athletic. 
But at present, he rarely gets a decent first touch and when dribbling he hardly seems to have the ball under control, and when shooting he seems to have a rush of blood. 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s huge potential with Semenyo, but he’s definitely one who is ‘athlete first’, ‘footballer second’. 

I'm literally shouting composure when he gets an opportunity to score.

He really is an odd ball imo...strong and unorthodox. 

But he's definitely not a ' natural' footballer. 

Imagine how good Weimann would be if he had natural football ability. I've never known someone use shins as a way of controlling a ball as him. 

You look at natural footballers we've had...Tommy Doc, Noble, Jackie, Jet, Trundle...some of the best natural footballers ever...but physically beyond standard. 

So frustrating....

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Teams would still take on technically gifted players at all ages, academies can play a player down an age group so they're playing against kids of a more similar physical stage of development 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

They get overlooked more as they get older Dave. Not sure why...but it seems ingrained. Same as Pro footballers last contract being approx 29. People are fitter and younger physically at a later age these days. Mid 30s should now become more normal. 

Malcolm Gladwell talked about the impact in ice hockey in Outliers. The broad principle being that 12 months is huge when you’re 5/6/7, so kids born in September (or January, depending on the country/sporting year) get into teams, that then get the best coaches and everything after that is a self fulfilling prophecy. 12 months age gap at 18 maybe irrelevant, but the September kid has had 13 years of the best coaching, the August kid may have given up on sport altogether. Obviously none of this is binary, but some of the stats, as in the article @Selred linked above, are pretty startling. 

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Malcolm Gladwell talked about the impact in ice hockey in Outliers. The broad principle being that 12 months is huge when you’re 5/6/7, so kids born in September (or January, depending on the country/sporting year) get into teams, that then get the best coaches and everything after that is a self fulfilling prophecy. 12 months age gap at 18 maybe irrelevant, but the September kid has had 13 years of the best coaching, the August kid may have given up on sport altogether. Obviously none of this is binary, but some of the stats, as in the article @Selred linked above, are pretty startling. 

It's what I've observed first hand.

Archived