Jump to content
IGNORED

Louis Britton


Bainsey
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, spudski said:

From what I've watched of him, he reminds me a little of Robbie Turner and Milan Duric.

The latter won promotion to Serie last night.

 

Was never as bad as people made out either i didn’t think 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Was never as bad as people made out either i didn’t think 

I thought he was a decent player... obviously struggled with injury but put it about and troubled and unsettled defenders.

He's not a goal machine, but I'd rather have that style of player and made it difficult, allowing others to contribute than how we play with Fam.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Duric's first touch and ability to bring others  into play was light years ahead of Fam,not to say Fam doesn't have other strengths.

I remember when we played Cardiff at home a few seasons ago and Sol Bamba couldn't handle him. Not sure he won any duel they had.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I remember when we played Cardiff at home a few seasons ago and Sol Bamba couldn't handle him. Not sure he won any duel they had.

Remember that so well….Bamba was a beast too, never seen anyone boss him like Djuric did.

Great to see Bamba playing at the weekend.

  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I thought he was a decent player... obviously struggled with injury but put it about and troubled and unsettled defenders.

He's not a goal machine, but I'd rather have that style of player and made it difficult, allowing others to contribute than how we play with Fam.

I really liked him, I'd have him back in a heart beat.

Clearly far fitter now, 30+ games a season for the last 2 years. Who were the medical team when he was here?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've mentioned in a couple of matchday threads about giving him a go in the first team and was pleased to see him get some minutes and notch on Saturday. He has been picked up late from non-league football. He was catching the eye of a few league clubs at Mangadoo. He isn't the quickest, but he knows where the back of the net is. For a young lad he has strength and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Decent in the air and has good positioning.

He needs a few good workouts pre-season and needs to work on fitness levels, but he is definitely an option to consider for next season. He will score goals and we'll need those next season. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

I've mentioned in a couple of matchday threads about giving him a go in the first team and was pleased to see him get some minutes and notch on Saturday. He has been picked up late from non-league football. He was catching the eye of a few league clubs at Mangadoo. He isn't the quickest, but he knows where the back of the net is. For a young lad he has strength and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Decent in the air and has good positioning.

He needs a few good workouts pre-season and needs to work on fitness levels, but he is definitely an option to consider for next season. He will score goals and we'll need those next season. 

Well if you've just scored in the Championship what more impetus do you need to focus on being fit and ready work work your nuts off for a lucrative professional career? As with all the recent debutants, I hope he maximises his potential (with us).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I've mentioned in a couple of matchday threads about giving him a go in the first team and was pleased to see him get some minutes and notch on Saturday. He has been picked up late from non-league football. He was catching the eye of a few league clubs at Mangadoo. He isn't the quickest, but he knows where the back of the net is. For a young lad he has strength and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Decent in the air and has good positioning.

He needs a few good workouts pre-season and needs to work on fitness levels, but he is definitely an option to consider for next season. He will score goals and we'll need those next season. 

Imo...looking at his legs...he just isn't one of those players that you will ever get quick, regardless of training.

Genetics can be a real ball ache and hold back natural talent in other parts. Seen it so many times with various players.

How many absolutely brilliant technical natural footballers have we seen over the years, let down at certain levels due to physical fitness ability...

It's a shame football has come down to speed and fitness over technical ability, flair and imagination. I know which I'd prefer to watch.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Imo...looking at his legs...he just isn't one of those players that you will ever get quick, regardless of training.

Genetics can be a real ball ache and hold back natural talent in other parts. Seen it so many times with various players.

How many absolutely brilliant technical natural footballers have we seen over the years, let down at certain levels due to physical fitness ability...

It's a shame football has come down to speed and fitness over technical ability, flair and imagination. I know which I'd prefer to watch.

I'm involved in grassroots football; and have quite a lot of dealings with Academies through JPL etc.

The first rule for these academies seems to be nowadays athletic ability; Strength, power, height, speed. They always say that you can then coach the player based on these raw attributes.

As you say, a shame; because if you are small; you have to be so much better than your counterparts to get picked up.

It all comes down to what they believe a modern day footballer should look like in the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I'm involved in grassroots football; and have quite a lot of dealings with Academies through JPL etc.

The first rule for these academies seems to be nowadays athletic ability; Strength, power, height, speed. They always say that you can then coach the player based on these raw attributes.

As you say, a shame; because if you are small; you have to be so much better than your counterparts to get picked up.

It all comes down to what they believe a modern day footballer should look like in the end.

And imo...it's been detrimental to football.

They used to call it the beautiful game.

I honestly believe from watching, that the quality of football in the Championship has gone down hill massively. The athletic ability on the other hand, has increased massively. I cringe at some of the basic footballing errors I see. Even to play at a decent amateur level you could cross a ball to a player...either front, middle or near post. It was a given...and easy. I find it incredulous how poor crossing is...it's totally embarrassing for professionals, let alone amateurs. Yet they Ponce about like they are god's gift. That's just one example...but it's across all skills in football. Like you say...they are athletes first that they try to coach football too. I know far more gifted amateurs that would never compete athletically.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I'm involved in grassroots football; and have quite a lot of dealings with Academies through JPL etc.

The first rule for these academies seems to be nowadays athletic ability; Strength, power, height, speed. They always say that you can then coach the player based on these raw attributes.

As you say, a shame; because if you are small; you have to be so much better than your counterparts to get picked up.

It all comes down to what they believe a modern day footballer should look like in the end.

Do they still look at age ' brackets'?

I remember reading a while back that most professional sports people were born between September and January. Basically the oldest in your year at school. You developed quicker.

I can remember coming back from school holidays as a kid and being astonished at how quickly in that 6 weeks some had developed.

It happened to myself. I went from being very average, to having a growth spurt and full of energy and testosterone. Literally a different player basically overnight so to speak. 

I was professional in another sport, and saw the same thing happen with kids. I was constantly fighting with coaches to keep an eye out for kids who'd been discarded for late development, but had natural attributes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Do they still look at age ' brackets'?

I remember reading a while back that most professional sports people were born between September and January. Basically the oldest in your year at school. You developed quicker.

I can remember coming back from school holidays as a kid and being astonished at how quickly in that 6 weeks some had developed.

It happened to myself. I went from being very average, to having a growth spurt and full of energy and testosterone. Literally a different player basically overnight so to speak. 

I was professional in another sport, and saw the same thing happen with kids. I was constantly fighting with coaches to keep an eye out for kids who'd been discarded for late development, but had natural attributes. 

I know there is evidence…..but won’t that development even out in adulthood?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know there is evidence…..but won’t that development even out in adulthood?

They get overlooked more as they get older Dave. Not sure why...but it seems ingrained. Same as Pro footballers last contract being approx 29. People are fitter and younger physically at a later age these days. Mid 30s should now become more normal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And imo...it's been detrimental to football.

They used to call it the beautiful game.

I honestly believe from watching, that the quality of football in the Championship has gone down hill massively. The athletic ability on the other hand, has increased massively. I cringe at some of the basic footballing errors I see. Even to play at a decent amateur level you could cross a ball to a player...either front, middle or near post. It was a given...and easy. I find it incredulous how poor crossing is...it's totally embarrassing for professionals, let alone amateurs. Yet they Ponce about like they are god's gift. That's just one example...but it's across all skills in football. Like you say...they are athletes first that they try to coach football too. I know far more gifted amateurs that would never compete athletically.

Linking these comments to another thread just created re Semenyo. 
He’s exactly what you describe. He looks like a superb specimen, strong, athletic. 
But at present, he rarely gets a decent first touch and when dribbling he hardly seems to have the ball under control, and when shooting he seems to have a rush of blood. 
 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s huge potential with Semenyo, but he’s definitely one who is ‘athlete first’, ‘footballer second’. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Linking these comments to another thread just created re Semenyo. 
He’s exactly what you describe. He looks like a superb specimen, strong, athletic. 
But at present, he rarely gets a decent first touch and when dribbling he hardly seems to have the ball under control, and when shooting he seems to have a rush of blood. 
 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s huge potential with Semenyo, but he’s definitely one who is ‘athlete first’, ‘footballer second’. 

I'm literally shouting composure when he gets an opportunity to score.

He really is an odd ball imo...strong and unorthodox. 

But he's definitely not a ' natural' footballer. 

Imagine how good Weimann would be if he had natural football ability. I've never known someone use shins as a way of controlling a ball as him. 

You look at natural footballers we've had...Tommy Doc, Noble, Jackie, Jet, Trundle...some of the best natural footballers ever...but physically beyond standard. 

So frustrating....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Do they still look at age ' brackets'?

I remember reading a while back that most professional sports people were born between September and January. Basically the oldest in your year at school. You developed quicker.

I can remember coming back from school holidays as a kid and being astonished at how quickly in that 6 weeks some had developed.

It happened to myself. I went from being very average, to having a growth spurt and full of energy and testosterone. Literally a different player basically overnight so to speak. 

I was professional in another sport, and saw the same thing happen with kids. I was constantly fighting with coaches to keep an eye out for kids who'd been discarded for late development, but had natural attributes. 

Teams would still take on technically gifted players at all ages, academies can play a player down an age group so they're playing against kids of a more similar physical stage of development 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spudski said:

They get overlooked more as they get older Dave. Not sure why...but it seems ingrained. Same as Pro footballers last contract being approx 29. People are fitter and younger physically at a later age these days. Mid 30s should now become more normal. 

Malcolm Gladwell talked about the impact in ice hockey in Outliers. The broad principle being that 12 months is huge when you’re 5/6/7, so kids born in September (or January, depending on the country/sporting year) get into teams, that then get the best coaches and everything after that is a self fulfilling prophecy. 12 months age gap at 18 maybe irrelevant, but the September kid has had 13 years of the best coaching, the August kid may have given up on sport altogether. Obviously none of this is binary, but some of the stats, as in the article @Selred linked above, are pretty startling. 

  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Malcolm Gladwell talked about the impact in ice hockey in Outliers. The broad principle being that 12 months is huge when you’re 5/6/7, so kids born in September (or January, depending on the country/sporting year) get into teams, that then get the best coaches and everything after that is a self fulfilling prophecy. 12 months age gap at 18 maybe irrelevant, but the September kid has had 13 years of the best coaching, the August kid may have given up on sport altogether. Obviously none of this is binary, but some of the stats, as in the article @Selred linked above, are pretty startling. 

It's what I've observed first hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...