IGNORED

Kalas

sh1t_ref_again

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Timeline slightly out there mate - it was Holden that gave Kalas the captaincy just prior to the Cov game (IIRC Holden made a big deal that he’d decided on his captain and would reveal it on the first day).

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/captain-kalas-to-lead-robins/

Post Webster going, it’s correct to say Bailey Wright was club captain. The armband bounced around a bit - I think Pack had it for the first (Leeds) game and then it was mainly Brownhill pre lockdown and Smith post. TK had on a couple of occasions but couldn’t have been linked to Webster’s leaving

Cheers for clarifying mate ??

21 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Amusing the level of debate about what is a ceremonial position. Peter Crouch was pretty funny talking about being captain, described it as a "massive ball-ache" ?

Basically collecting fines and dishing out match ticket iirc.

18 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Amusing the level of debate about what is a ceremonial position. Peter Crouch was pretty funny talking about being captain, described it as a "massive ball-ache" ?

A very modern take on things, and one I don't agree with.

Having a proper, respected Captain makes a big positive difference imo.

Are you saying Crouch was ever a Captain? Makes a mockery of the position if so.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Are you saying Crouch was ever a Captain? Makes a mockery of the position if so.

Why? He was a proper pro, respected in the profession. No less qualified than, say, Beckham. 

Think he was only Captain for a couple of occasions, he didn't want the job full time.

13 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Why? He was a proper pro, respected in the profession. No less qualified than, say, Beckham. 

Think he was only Captain for a couple of occasions, he didn't want the job full time.

Yep, some players just don’t want it for a variety of reasons. I’d rather that than a player do the job because he feels he has to.

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree, this season aside Scott Brown as captain was a huge factor in Celtic lifting so many trophies. He dragged an extra 10% out of his team mates, wound up and scared opposition players in equal measure and influenced referees. A good captain can give teams the edge in closely fought encounters.

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I agree, this season aside Scott Brown as captain was a huge factor in Celtic lifting so many trophies. He dragged an extra 10% out of his team mates, wound up and scared opposition players in equal measure and influenced referees. A good captain can give teams the edge in closely fought encounters.

Couldn't agree more. I remember Bobby Hutchinson as captain at AG.

He was never the greatest player, but an absolute leader of men who drove us on and led by example in every way.

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

5 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

Couldn't agree more. I remember Bobby Hutchinson as captain at AG.

He was never the greatest player, but an absolute leader of men who drove us on and led by example in every way.

Neither achieved what they did through wearing a bit of cloth on their arms and being in charge of dishing out tickets.

They did it through inherent leadership ability. That doesn't need to be recognised with the captaincy, you can have more than one leader. Look at Gary Neville, at ManUre. Never really captain, but a leader, vocal and clearly a major voice. Similarly, you pick out Hutch at City, but see also David Moyes, who also played. No-one doubts he was also a leader. 

13 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Neither achieved what they did through wearing a bit of cloth on their arms and being in charge of dishing out tickets.

They did it through inherent leadership ability. That doesn't need to be recognised with the captaincy, you can have more than one leader. Look at Gary Neville, at ManUre. Never really captain, but a leader, vocal and clearly a major voice. Similarly, you pick out Hutch at City, but see also David Moyes, who also played. No-one doubts he was also a leader. 

When I moved to live in Shrewsbury in 1987, for work, the centre half pairing was Moysie and someone unknown to me named Pearson. I wonder what he's doing now?

53 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

They did it through inherent leadership ability. That doesn't need to be recognised with the captaincy, you can have more than one leader.

Ideally of course you'd have several leader types in the team, but we have all seen that is not always the case, particularly with modern players.

Even then a leader of the leaders is required, who is also the managers' voice on the pitch who has the RESPONSIBILITY to cajole the players to ensure the managers' plans are put into action and that there is total commitment from his team mates.

It's much more than 'wearing a bit of cloth and dishing out tickets' - again this is belittling the importance and positive influence of a well chosen and widely respected Captain imo.

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ideally of course you'd have several leader types in the team, but we have all seen that is not always the case, particularly with modern players.

Even then a leader of the leaders is required, who is also the managers' voice on the pitch who has the RESPONSIBILITY to cajole the players to ensure the managers' plans are put into action and that there is total commitment from his team mates.

It's much more than 'wearing a bit of cloth and dishing out tickets' - again this is belittling the importance and positive influence of a well chosen and widely respected Captain imo.

Bang on the money. Seems to be modern thinking that to be a Captain you must be a bully and that it's an overrated thing. I think top managers will tell you something different.

I still think there's a difference between leadership and being captain. 

But @Nogbad the Bad's point about a 'leader of leaders' is very important - just as no leadership is bad, if you've ever seen a team of 'leaders' trying to get something done....the results can be truly catastrophic.

One voice, one version of the truth, etc - that's what's needed. Decisiveness, influence and setting the standard. 

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I personally think who the captain is makes no difference.

Steven Gerrard was captain of Liverpool but was very quiet. Carragher did all the shouting.

Give Carragher the armband and nothing changes.

All about a team who can help each other for me.

The only flaw in that logic is that our team didn’t have a Carragher either.
I agree that the influence of the captain is reduced if you already have multiple other leaders within the team. The problem is we don’t!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I personally think who the captain is makes no difference.

Steven Gerrard was captain of Liverpool but was very quiet. Carragher did all the shouting.

Give Carragher the armband and nothing changes.

All about a team who can help each other for me.

I'd disagree with that mate.

Being a Club captain isn't purely about what happens on the pitch match day. It's every day. You lead by example...you garner respect, or you have respect before and the captaincy is given you.

You can be the strong silent type and still give an energy of ' be professional, play for the shirt, show respect'....being loud doesn't mean that. Empty vessels etc....

A captain is an extension of the manager and the fans...someone both respect and trust.

I don't think we employ anyone right now that other players would look up to and respect at another level. 

17 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I still think there's a difference between leadership and being captain. 

But @Nogbad the Bad's point about a 'leader of leaders' is very important - just as no leadership is bad, if you've ever seen a team of 'leaders' trying to get something done....the results can be truly catastrophic.

One voice, one version of the truth, etc - that's what's needed. Decisiveness, influence and setting the standard. 

Hello Boris! Wondered which team you supported.

On 09/05/2021 at 18:13, ncnsbcfc said:

If Baker signs a new contract, then that's that's end of Kalas i think.

By all accounts, the falling out between them has been immense.

On that basis, and with TK under contract for another 2 years. There is no way that the two of them can play together again.

Just seen on Instagram, Dan, COD and Kalas on holiday... with their respective partners...Kalas is with someone new. Kalas’ last girlfriend is, and continues to be very close to Baker’s partner. Who knows what has happened but with Baker not here next season we don’t have to worry about this! Roll on next season.

28 minutes ago, DOZZYBCFC said:

Just seen on Instagram, Dan, COD and Kalas on holiday... with their respective partners...Kalas is with someone new. Kalas’ last girlfriend is, and continues to be very close to Baker’s partner. Who knows what has happened but with Baker not here next season we don’t have to worry about this! Roll on next season.

So did Kalas nob Baker’s missus, or Baker nob Kalas’ missus? 

Archived