IGNORED

Excited or worried?

citywest30

How do you feel about next season?  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've not enjoyed watching for a while, it had got to where I was going because of the social side. When NP joined I was surprised and pleased. Things were a mess, our ex CEO didn't help and players OOC in the summer had nothing to play for , and it showed. The injury crisis hasn't eased yet, we are losing (possibly) 14 players and have had to rely on Academy players to inject interest. 
Now for an attempt at optimism
We now have an experienced manager that the Fan base seems right behind. He looks to have been given the go-ahead to sort his staff, big plus. We have according to our owner, some leeway to rebuild. For my money the new staff HAS to come first. 
And reality
It is a massive job that is bigger than one or two windows. The first part starts now, but I am concerned.

1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

Feeling flat.... Is it just me or does Nige send you to sleep when talking? When Steve Cotterill spoke I listened. Hope the players don’t feel the same.

Yeah...it's just you.......Ha!  ?

I am genuinely worried.

I thought Nigel Pearson was a good appointment - even thought the positive effect of a new manager might push us close to the play offs. But the way we have performed since his appointment has been very disappointing to say the least.

Like most clubs, I don't see us doing much in the transfer market in the summer so going into next season I think the squad will be much the same as it is now. Hopefully our injured p[layers will be back but Nigel will have to get them performing way better than he has so far. In reality, and I hate to say it, Dean Holden kept us up because since he was sacked we have been in relegation form.

I really hope Nigel gets the squad playing to their potential but a good start is essential.

My one comfort is how ever bad this season has been for us just imagine being a Rovers fan.

45 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I am genuinely worried.

I thought Nigel Pearson was a good appointment - even thought the positive effect of a new manager might push us close to the play offs. But the way we have performed since his appointment has been very disappointing to say the least.

Like most clubs, I don't see us doing much in the transfer market in the summer so going into next season I think the squad will be much the same as it is now. Hopefully our injured p[layers will be back but Nigel will have to get them performing way better than he has so far. In reality, and I hate to say it, Dean Holden kept us up because since he was sacked we have been in relegation form.

I really hope Nigel gets the squad playing to their potential but a good start is essential.

My one comfort is how ever bad this season has been for us just imagine being a Rovers fan.

I know it’s a forum but seriously, you thought Pearson’s appointment might push us close to the playoffs?

We had just lost our previous 7 games and regularly had 10-12 players missing for every game, so what on earth made you think that?

No denying results have been terrible but we were in relegation form well before Pearson arrived..

There is no way next season’s squad will be “much the same” either.

There is a lot of naivety going on here.

Just dont get your hopes up. The signs are not good at all. Not only do we have to try and overhaul our squad but the incumbent has so far shown nothing. 

I cant see how he can perform miracles in 3 months. Next season will be a long and turgid one imo. 

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I know it’s a forum but seriously, you thought Pearson’s appointment might push us close to the playoffs?

We had just lost our previous 7 games and regularly had 10-12 players missing for every game, so what on earth made you think that?

No denying results have been terrible but we were in relegation form well before Pearson arrived..

There is no way next season’s squad will be “much the same” either.

I like most people thought our form would improve and we would move up the table. We were 12 points off the play offs and with a good run (which a new manager usually brings) we could have come close not necessarily into but close to the play offs. I don't think there are many fans who thought we would drop from 13 to 19 and from 12 to 26 points off the play offs.

I just don't see us spending much in the close season. We haven't got a big name to sell so funds will have to come from revenue or our owner. Yes I'm sure a few new names will be added but I'm not expecting a huge influx of quality players.

16 hours ago, Atticus said:

Just dont get your hopes up. The signs are not good at all. Not only do we have to try and overhaul our squad but the incumbent has so far shown nothing. 

I cant see how he can perform miracles in 3 months. Next season will be a long and turgid one imo. 

Tortured metaphor alert!

It's been rather a case of trying to fix the plane when it was in the air. Now it's back in the hangar we'll see the results of a refit soon enough.

• Admin
23 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I guess it’s the huge state of flux we’re in at the moment that is unnerving everyone. Clearly there are going to be big changes with OOC players and a manager who is almost completely new to the club in terms of bringing in his own players. The relative stability we’ve had in recent years has gone and it feels like this could be good (new broom) or bad / worse (recent form). Time will tell I guess and it may ultimately depend on the old half full / empty glass perspective.

Very similar to the first summer Steve Cotterill was in charge.

Let's hope Pearson builds a team that at least compete for 90 minutes 

19 hours ago, Atticus said:

The general consensus next season from most is if we see signs of improvement, better performances where we actually compete in most games rather than getting bummed week after week and stay in the division that will be ok. What is naive about that?

I see very few people banging on about top half finishes and play offs. Without needing to perform miracles he will have Williams, O’Dowda, Dasilva, Martin and Weimann (if signed) available to him for a start. It’s undeniable that those five will improve us.

From what I’ve seen of Nige in his interviews he’s impressed me with his insight and candour. He’s like no other manager that I can remember in that regard. He fills me optimism and like others I’m looking forward to next season - but first I can hardly wait to see what changes he makes over the summer both on and off the pitch.

I’m not excited about next season as it’s likely to be one spent in the lower half of the table and fans need to understand that this is a reset, a rebuild. Give a Nigel next season to get his staff in place and to start assembling his squad together. Hopefully a top half finish the following season and then a proper go at promotion/reaching the play offs in season 3. It’s where we could be in 3-4 seasons time that excites me. Just got to trust the process and give the guy time and freedom to do things his way. 

3 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

I’m not excited about next season as it’s likely to be one spent in the lower half of the table and fans need to understand that this is a reset, a rebuild. Give a Nigel next season to get his staff in place and to start assembling his squad together. Hopefully a top half finish the following season and then a proper go at promotion/reaching the play offs in season 3. It’s where we could be in 3-4 seasons time that excites me. Just got to trust the process and give the guy time and freedom to do things his way. 

It sounds boring but it's far better than the baseless, false hope that supporters have suffered for years now. I think it may have finally hit home to many that clubs like ours just don't arrive on quick fixes. We have to build the house properly.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It sounds boring but it's far better than the baseless, false hope that supporters have suffered for years now. I think it may have finally hit home to many that clubs like ours just don't arrive on quick fixes. We have to build the house properly.

True. Sadly we already have fans that think Nigel Pearson isn’t good enough because he hasn’t won every game with this shower of poop he’s inherited. And there will be more next year that will turn on him if we spend most the season in the bottom half. Give Nigel time to do what he needs to do and we’ll be heading in the right direction in a year-18 months time

Excited.

Quite simply we have a proven Manager in NP. I think as he is 'The Manager' and not Head Coach that should tell us something. I believe SL will have said, 'Dont care what you do within reason, Get us there, might be 1/2/3/4/ windows, but just get us there '

After 6 decades of supporting City, every few years I have been excited about the next season..............................................or is it the tablets I'm on ? ?‍♂️

I think it just feels good that for the first time in what seems like ever - and possibly is ever if you discount those 42 days - we’ve appointed someone proven. 

SL’s appointments over the years have been spectacularly miss rather than hit,  but I’ve got no complains with this one. Let’s see how we get on...

Archived