IGNORED

25! Is this our worst number of defeats in a season?

Curr Avon

19 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Our relegation seasons of 1981/82 (Ashton Gate Eight) and 1998/99 (Ward to Benny and straight back down) produced 22 losses, but this term appears to have trumped that. And we still stayed up!

Can anybody confirm this?

27 losses in 2012/13

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Crikey. I forgot to check that one. Second worst? ?

How could you forget that season?

Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Brian Howard, Brendan Moloney, Martyn Woolford, Stephen McManus, Matthew Bates.

Names to conjure with...  :laughcont:

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Brian Howard, Brendan Moloney, Martyn Woolford, Stephen McManus, Matthew Bates.

Jody Morris, Lewin Nyatanga..

It was worse than this one, actually so was 81/82 as although we lost fewer games once the league made us give back our loan players & the old company sold off Moller & Harford, we got 2 points in 11 games..

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Or have nightmares about. I'll have to settle for worst number of defeats in a season - when we stayed up.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Our relegation seasons of 1981/82 (Ashton Gate Eight) and 1998/99 (Ward to Benny and straight back down) produced 22 losses, but this term appears to have trumped that. And we still stayed up!

Can anybody confirm this?

On the match day thread I said this feels worse than some relegations and those 2 you’ve mentioned were the ones I had in mind.

One we had just gone bust and a team of kids were trying their best on a paltry wage.

The other we actually played some good football at the end of that season without luck, including the final home game v Brum.

This lot, one players wage is probably the same as the whole clubs wage back in 82 and they can’t be arsed to work for it. Shame on some of them

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Wish we could have conjured up a disappearing act for them.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

With names like that, I can see how anyone could want to forget it.....

Strange thing is, the squad this season is miles better than that one, and we've actually played worse football at times (the words played and football in the loosest of terms may I add!!) So, does that make this seasons squad worse than that one that got us relegated?

If both squads played each other though, I'm pretty sure that both would lose to be fair.....

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

With names like that, I can see how anyone could want to forget it.....

Strange thing is, the squad this season is miles better than that one, and we've actually played worse football at times (the words played and football in the loosest of terms may I add!!) So, does that make this seasons squad worse than that one that got us relegated?

If both squads played each other though, I'm pretty sure that both would lose to be fair.....

Yup. Apart from dear old Uncle Albert, McInnes was attempting the Championship with a L1 side. Or maybe a Scottish Championship side!

Our players this season have more ability, but injuries to key creative players, poor tactics and morale collapse sunk them into a mire the like of which I've rarely seen.  We did at least batter Barnsley with that 2012/13squad 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes, indeed. And some fans say this is the worst season they’ve seen and the worst team...

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This season it`s either been win or lose with not many draws which is why we have an (almost) record number of losses but still managed to stay up.

Indeed.

I wonder when we last had a season with so few draws?

10 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Yes, indeed. And some fans say this is the worst season they’ve seen and the worst team...

Undoubtedly the worst season in my 34 years of following City.

11 hours ago, firstdivision said:

The only difference is this seasons side had a lot more luck with so called better players 

1910-11; only 38 games then, but City managed to lose 22.     Well over 50%, but we weren't bottom, Forest were.                                                                        1921-22, 42 games and City lost 21 only 50% that season.

2020/21 Club Records Broken

Most home league defeats in a season - 13 (previously 11 in 2012/13)

Lowest number of home league goals scored - 18 (previously 19 in 1923/24 and 1980/81)

Most league defeats without being relegated - 25 (lost more league games in 2012/13 and 1959/60 and the same number in 1931/32 - all relegation seasons)

Not a record this but after never previously having had a better away record than home in 106 football league seasons, we have had a better away record in all of the past 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Indeed.

I wonder when we last had a season with so few draws?

Undoubtedly the worst season in my 34 years of following City.

Especially with the massive injury list and the number of players that did not give a flying F about performing for the team!

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

Not a record this but after never previously having had a better away record than home in 106 football league seasons, we have had a better away record in all of the past 3 seasons.

All shocking but that last one is remarkable.

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

2020/21 Club Records Broken

Most home league defeats in a season - 13 (previously 11 in 2012/13)

Lowest number of home league goals scored - 18 (previously 19 in 1923/24 and 1980/81)

Most league defeats without being relegated - 25 (lost more league games in 2012/13 and 1959/60 and the same number in 1931/32 - all relegation seasons)

Consecutive home games without a win??

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You remember it very clearly?

A waking nightmare.

What made it worse was that many of us held out high hopes for Derek McInnes when he came here. I even bought one of those "McInnes Is Good For You" t-shirts.

What it made explicit is the gulf in quality between Scottish and English football.  I mean, I realised it was there, but I had no idea that players who had featured regularly in the Scottish Prem would look such nondies in the English Championship. During our glory years, our side had numerous talented Scots, but it was clear that those days were long gone.

McInnes's reign at Aberdeen has ended, but in his 8 years there he recorded an impressive 53% win rate. Double what he got here. That reinforces my point about the gulf in quality. 

17 hours ago, italian dave said:

Consecutive home games without a win??

Now I'm at work and have a PC I can answer this question ?

10 home league games without a win in one season equals the previous club record set in the 1931/32 season although that was 6D, 4L rather than this teams current form of 1D, 9L.

Over 2 seasons the club record is 11 home league games without a win which was unsurprisingly set in 2013 when we were relegated from the Championship and took ages to win in League One.

Earlier in that relegation season we also went on a run of 9 home league games without a win (after beating Palace and Cardiff and going top of the league if I remember correct, the only time 9 games has been done by the club).

18 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Now I'm at work and have a PC I can answer this question ?

10 home league games without a win in one season equals the previous club record set in the 1931/32 season although that was 6D, 4L rather than this teams current form of 1D, 9L.

Over 2 seasons the club record is 11 home league games without a win which was unsurprisingly set in 2013 when we were relegated from the Championship and took ages to win in League One.

Earlier in that relegation season we also went on a run of 9 home league games without a win (after beating Palace and Cardiff and going top of the league if I remember correct, the only time 9 games has been done by the club).

Thanks. Well, let's hope we don't beat any of those records! I'm not overly concerned about the last few, because I think NP has been tinkering. But if we don't win at home in August it will start to get worrying.

Archived