IGNORED

Nathan Baker

Rossi the Robin

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hadn’t caught him saying that, ta.

As you and @JonDolmanknow, I think Zak could be best at RB, 6’2”, athletic, decent on the ball, can get his head up….even if he has been a bit too anxious to hit channel / diag in the past.

If NP started the summer, extending Simpson and having Vyner as his 2x RBs, that’s one position solved very quickly….at least when his phase 2 transitioning can address Simpson next summer.  Defensively he can then just focus on CBs.

Thats perhaps him being “creative”, and using “what he’s got”.

Absolutely, plus if we work on the basis that Dasilva is going to be our first choice LB (if he can stay fit, of course) then Vyner at RB does compensate for his lack of height.

Once we see the retained list we will have a better idea, but it may be that we concentrate on bringing in a centre back or two.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, plus if we work on the basis that Dasilva is going to be our first choice LB (if he can stay fit, of course) then Vyner at RB does compensate for his lack of height.

Once we see the retained list we will have a better idea, but it may be that we concentrate on bringing in a centre back or two.

Vyner at rb next season ticks lots of boxes, if simpson is kept on as his deputy then fine, but vyner is one of the few players to come through this season with any credit.

On 09/05/2021 at 05:23, JonDolman said:

Was a very good performance yesterday in his defensive work. Looked really up for it.

I'd let him go. He's been out all season and when he does start you never know if he will walk off the pitch in the first half. We can't be building a defence with someone who does that imo.

He is so poor on the ball, which isn't the end of the world but other options out there offer so much more in bringing the ball out.

And he's performed badly and made lots of mistakes in spells for us. In many ways he isn't at all reliable.

It's not that he's not got the ability, so if Nige does give him a new deal then he must believe he can get the best out of Baker. If that's the case then fair enough.

Looking really up for it should be a given. It's the other stuff you rightly point out that we have to consider.

On 09/05/2021 at 08:40, GrahamC said:

Still trying to understand the logic of him & Mariappa both starting yesterday if we are then going to release both of them this week.

Up until then I was convinced both would be let go, but that makes a bit less sense now.

Mariappa is 35, on very low wages apparently & had a decent availability record this season.

Baker is 30, on top 4 wages & was only available 3 times.

I’m struggling to work out the plan here, maybe we will take the gamble (because that’s what it would be) on offering Baker a contract on half his current amount, but I would be looking elsewhere myself. 

I'm guessing that NP put them in for the sake of the balance of the team?? They were surprisingly solid too.

15 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Moore Error prone. I know you have been watching for the last few months. 

Remind me which players haven't been error prone?!!!!

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

, I think Zak could be best at RB, 6’2”, athletic, decent on the ball, can get his head up….

Not sure if Moore's six two! but I'm feeling he could also be decent at rfb/wb??? - get's his chin up & can play out/pass the ball..just a thought!

7 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Not sure if Moore's six two! but I'm feeling he could also be decent at rfb/wb??? - get's his chin up & can play out/pass the ball..just a thought!

He can pass, but I’m not convinced he’s agile another against wingers.  You never know.  Played there for Cheltenham and Bury.

I'm torn between keep and not keep Baker. Solid defender but fitness bothers me.

As for Moore, he's the type of player we want, committed, works hard, not afraid to lead and has pace. I see right back as a good place for him. On the he downside must improve on reducing silly mistakes. But with the shambolic defence we've had for two years, are his goofs all down to him or a collective failing? He wants to succeed!

RB for Moore would allow Vyner to be CB. So long as he is alongside a dominant ball winning centre half. Which would leave Kalas where? Kalas is a very good international quality defender. Yet there is something about him that I keep seeing. Not a leader, is he actually a good team player? He seems at times to be the only defender because he tries to do everyone's job and his own. 

Not criticising Kalas but sometimes a better team player is one who is not at Kalas standard as an individual but blends with others to make a more solid unit.

Glad I'm not manager. NP will get criticised whatever he does.

It wouldn’t a surprise to see Nige completely rebuild the defence. He’s said several times that City concede too many ‘soft’ goals and to me that suggests that he’s unhappy with the CBS in particular 

He and Kalas recently had a bust up and whilst that kind of thing happens regularly at football clubs it might be an indication that Kalas will be on his way.

Baker is a very capable CB but his injury record is dreadful particularly as he leaves the pitch during the match so often and that really effects the team balance and substitutions later in the game. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he moved on.

Moore, lots of promise but hasn’t yet quite yet fulfilled his potential - should Nige stick with him?  With the right coaching and guidance Moore may well flourish under Nige’s tutelage.

The more I think about it the more anticipation I have about the upcoming changes on and off the pitch that Nige says he’s going to make.

On 09/05/2021 at 00:17, Rossi the Robin said:

Hopefully the new medical and performance team can help this guy to play week in week out, he amplifies the right attitude and full blown commitment we require going forward - sign him up, keep him fit, just what we need ?⚪

I hope he stays 

To me, the problem is that Moore, Kalas and Vyner are all too similar - not dominant, "Incoming!" type gung-ho defenders (see Flint), but more the footballing CB. More error prone, but with more all-round game. 

I suppose a lot depends on whether NP is going to play 3 or 4 at the back - similarly with full backs; Sessegnon would be fine as a RWB, but at RB he's a bit lightweight. Vyner's probably the other way round.

I have a suspicion that both Kalas AND Baker will go.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wouldn’t a surprise to see Nige completely rebuild the defence. He’s said several times that City concede too many ‘soft’ goals and to me that suggests that he’s unhappy with the CBS in particular 

He and Kalas recently had a bust up and whilst that kind of thing happens regularly at football clubs it might be an indication that Kalas will be on his way.

Baker is a very capable CB but his injury record is dreadful particularly as he leaves the pitch during the match so often and that really effects the team balance and substitutions later in the game. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he moved on.

Moore, lots of promise but hasn’t yet quite yet fulfilled his potential - should Nige stick with him?  With the right coaching and guidance Moore may well flourish under Nige’s tutelage.

The more I think about it the more anticipation I have about the upcoming changes on and off the pitch that Nige says he’s going to make.

Got a link on the OS for that one?  ??‍♂️

It’s a no from me for the following reasons:

Injury prone 

His ‘commitment’ often involves him making challenges that result in injuries or cards 

Expect better distribution / link up play from a defender 

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Which of course was EXACTLY my point!

Moore must be one of our longest serving players now (5 years by the start of the new season) and really hasn't noticeably improved. 

The days of the nice- but not very good - guys are over at NP's Bristol City, I hope.

I can see us signing at least 1, maybe 2, huge, ultra competitive, hard as nails, and - on field at least - thoroughly unpleasant CB's this close season.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Moore must be one of our longest serving players now (5 years by the start of the new season) and really hasn't noticeably improved. 

The days of the nice- but not very good - guys are over at NP's Bristol City, I hope.

I can see us signing at least 1, maybe 2, huge, ultra competitive, hard as nails, and - on field at least - thoroughly unpleasant CB's this close season.

Yes I hope you are right about the signings. As for Moore I don’t know. He was always the whipping boy under LJ. Pearson will at least give him a chance

On another note I had a dream Aiden Flint was on the roof of AG by August. No really I did. We will see who is CBs are I guess. 

45 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I hope you are right about the signings. As for Moore I don’t know. He was always the whipping boy under LJ. Pearson will at least give him a chance

On another note I had a dream Aiden Flint was on the roof of AG by August. No really I did. We will see who is CBs are I guess. 

We'll see - but unless NP can somehow instil more aggression and aerial competitiveness in Taylor - characteristics that apparently do not come naturally to him - I suspect he will not be NP's type of player.

As I say, he'll go for hard men, and pleasant chaps under contract will be loaned out if they can't be sold imo. 

Flint was an outstanding player for us, but the task now is to find the next Aden Flint now, not bring back the old one!

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We'll see - but unless NP can somehow instil more aggression and aerial competitiveness in Taylor - characteristics that apparently do not come naturally to him - I suspect he will not be NP's type of player.

As I say, he'll go for hard men, and pleasant chaps under contract will be loaned out if they can't be sold imo. 

Flint was an outstanding player for us, but the task now is to find the next Aden Flint now, not bring back the old one!

Mmm I’m not sure I agree with your assessment of Moore’s failings. I always found that when he was beaten it was a positional issue. 

As far as hard center backs are concerned who is available at what cost will be the issue. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

I know he's done very well in league one. Is that the reason or do you know Nige plans on using him?

He certainly seems the kind of character Pearson would like. Worked very hard on his game to go from non league to now possibly being a championship player.

Logically he has to be in the squad. He's under contract and has done well in the league below.  What was the purpose of signing him otherwise?  He's got a year left and so we need to see if he has what we need.   The fact that he's not tarnished with the same brush as most of the squad is an advantage I would've thought.

Baker when fit is a decent defender who I rate. The problem is, and always has been, his availability. 

Taylor Moore seems to divide opinion, but I thought he looked very good at the start of the 2019-2020 season and was very unlucky to get loaned out.  

Both Baker and Moore are good central defenders. While Baker has been unlucky with injury watching him on Saturday against Ivan Toney was interesting ?he made a few hard tackles which we have missed in defence this season, Baker is a solid no nonsense CB hope he is given a new contract. 
As for Moore he has the talent to be a good CB under the right management he needs to be trusted which has been lacking over the last couple of seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Offside said:

Baker when fit is a decent defender who I rate. The problem is, and always has been, his availability. 

Taylor Moore seems to divide opinion, but I thought he looked very good at the start of the 2019-2020 season and was very unlucky to get loaned out.  

I thought it was a ridiculous loan, bearing in mind LJ then didn’t pick Benkovic.

Ooh, ooh, new shiny toy.  Bored of it now!

Archived