IGNORED

The Worst Performance?

ExiledAjax

It is done. This risible season is done. In it we set a record low 'shots for' number, and allowed a wonderfully apt 666 shots against our goal. Some contemptuous performances littered our season and I am sure most would love to move on.

But not me! Which of the many, many poor performances was the worst? I thought about this and decided, in my own humble and possibly incorrect opinion, on the following 'top' 3:

At 3.

Bristol City v Huddersfield (2-1)

A win, but one that should be as infamous as the Hatton Garden heist or the Great Train Robbery.

Huddersfield peppered our goal 27 times, the most of any team this season. In response we shot 4 times and had 36% possession at home. Diedhiou and Palmer started, and yet somehow we scored more goals than the opposition. The first through a Huddersfield error, the second an example of the clinical finishing we've seen recently. 

An embarrassing win that prolonged the agony of the Holden era by granting an unwelcome stay of execution. Honestly dreadful.

At 2.

Watford v Bristol City (6-0)

Perhaps many would expect this to be top, but for me there is one worse. A 6-nil drubbing that would prove to be Holden's penultimate game. At what was possibly the peak of our injury crisis we were soundly outclassed, outworked and outplayed. Watford have proven their class and had a simply wonderful time against us.

At 1.

Bristol City v Barnsley (0-1)

The nadir of this horrendous season. Two games after the Watford debacle we had sacked our head coach. A new dawn was upon us, albeit under caretaker charge. The "shackles were off" and we were promised a performance free from the drudgery of the preceding weeks.

We instead got a lesson in football and effort. Barnsley passed around us with ease as Dike and their Palmer had the run of Ashton Gate. Our single shot - a speculative long-range strike from Diedhiou - was easily saved and we registered a cumulative xG of just 0.03. 

The 1-0 was our 6th consecutive loss and hammered home the notion that the failings were perhaps more truly those of the players rather than the coaching staff.

Three truly unacceptable performances here, laid out in the hope that by assessing the failures we can move on with a more positive outlook. 

Any others that stand out to people?

All games that I saw were far beyond Championship standard level. I don't want to be mean but most of the wins were cause the opponents treated us with too much respect and we scored lucky low effort goals or by errors.

I am talking about football not wins. It we talk about football, this is the worst since I watch Bristol City, in 15,16 years. Yes, we relegated at some point but by having worse players, not playing worse footbal.

Hope this can change next season.

35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm trying to forget this season ever happened, don't make me live through some of it again!

Honestly, I found it cathartic to write the OP. Found some closure in going back through and recalling these diabolical games. Maybe I'm odd.

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Cardiff at home by a total distance. Big local derby, somewhat of a big play off race game too and we looked like we’d rather be anywhere else than playing. Holden was a dead man walking after that

I toyed with the away Cardiff game actually, the one we won. Another  win that went against all the odds.

With the home game, honestly I felt Watford away had to be in the top 3, I then didn't want to pick two consecutive matches. But yeh it's probably up there with some of the worst.

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Rotherham away and Millwall at home in the space of 4 days was like a competition to see how bad we could be.

Very true. Rotherham was particularly dire.

Honestly there are many that could be argued to be the worst, but I felt the three that I highlighted had extra significance beyond what occurred on the pitch.

After a season with that many shocking performances you cannot include the Huddersfield game - we ruddy won!!! Apart from anything else we were quite decent first 30 minutes, and we had so many other 90 minute non performances you can include.

But otherwise fair enough ?

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Derby at home. If we hadn`t laid down and let them roll over for us they would have been relegated.

Ah but if we hadn't rolled over for Rotherham and Sheff Wed then there'd have been no jeopardy at all. We were at least an equal-opportubnies capitulator.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is done. This risible season is done. In it we set a record low 'shots for' number, and allowed a wonderfully apt 666 shots against our goal. Some contemptuous performances littered our season and I am sure most would love to move on.

But not me! Which of the many, many poor performances was the worst? I thought about this and decided, in my own humble and possibly incorrect opinion, on the following 'top' 3:

At 3.

A win, but one that should be as infamous as the Hatton Garden heist or the Great Train Robbery.

Huddersfield peppered our goal 27 times, the most of any team this season. In response we shot 4 times and had 36% possession at home. Diedhiou and Palmer started, and yet somehow we scored more goals than the opposition. The first through a Huddersfield error, the second an example of the clinical finishing we've seen recently. 

An embarrassing win that prolonged the agony of the Holden era by granting an unwelcome stay of execution. Honestly dreadful.

At 2.

Perhaps many would expect this to be top, but for me there is one worse. A 6-nil drubbing that would prove to be Holden's penultimate game. At what was possibly the peak of our injury crisis we were soundly outclassed, outworked and outplayed. Watford have proven their class and had a simply wonderful time against us.

At 1.

The nadir of this horrendous season. Two games after the Watford debacle we had sacked our head coach. A new dawn was upon us, albeit under caretaker charge. The "shackles were off" and we were promised a performance free from the drudgery of the preceding weeks.

We instead got a lesson in football and effort. Barnsley passed around us with ease as Dike and their Palmer had the run of Ashton Gate. Our single shot - a speculative long-range strike from Diedhiou - was easily saved and we registered a cumulative xG of just 0.03. 

The 1-0 was our 6th consecutive loss and hammered home the notion that the failings were perhaps more truly those of the players rather than the coaching staff.

Three truly unacceptable performances here, laid out in the hope that by assessing the failures we can move on with a more positive outlook. 

This was one of the hardest competitions to judge in history. Far too many candidates. I would watch and think ‘this is the worst of the season’ and then there’d be another one and another one and another one...

Coventry (a), Derby (a), Birmingham (h), Millwall (a). Think I’ll just stop. The list is so long.
There were games when we literally did not have a chance. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

At 3.

At 2.

At 1.

Thanks for the memories.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Rotherham away and Millwall at home in the space of 4 days was like a competition to see how bad we could be.

Yes, Rotherham for me.

We were piss poor & made them look like Real Madrid.

Watford was truly shit, Holden’s brilliant idea to play Moore on the left of a 3 to support Ryley Towler who was then being asked to mark a £30m player was genius, but realistically we aren’t in their league anyway, whereas Rotherham outclassing us was just desperate.

I would add the home match with Wycombe and the two Coventry matches. Out played by two League One type teams (and I mean them no disrespect. Rotherham outplayed us as well. Okay, you can point to the crippling injury situation and playing the U23's but the possession stats and shot statistics are damming and reveal a deeper rooted problem running through the club.

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would add the home match with Wycombe and the two Coventry matches. Out played by two League One type teams (and I mean them no disrespect. Rotherham outplayed us as well. Okay, you can point to the crippling injury situation and playing the U23's but the possession stats and shot statistics are damming and reveal a deeper rooted problem running through the club.

As per Huddersfield above I don’t think you should allowed to include wins! 

In the same way we gave player of the season to the entire squad when we got promoted the only right answer to this one is "all of them".

No one embarrassment deserves to be elevated above any other, we have assembled an endless catalogue of ineptness and disinterest.

It would be unfair on any single ninety minutes of compete disarray if we are to promote one to be more hopeless than any of the others.

Blowing a 2-0 lead at home to Luton is still the funniest mind.

Looking at the score line alone then Watford away must have been the worst performance last season but personally I don’t see any merit in doing a post-mortem after the season has ended.

To me this hugely disappointing season is over and City survive to face another Championship campaign starting in August but ‘under new management’ - that’s what I’m looking forward to.

21 minutes ago, Olé said:

Blowing a 2-0 lead at home to Luton is still the funniest mind.

There's always one that gets forgotten. The academy apologises for the oversight. In general "recent results against Luton" should maybe get some sort of fellowship or lifetime achievement award.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never.

What’s the purpose of it?  

It achieves nothing so why bother..........:dunno:

Well as I said. It's cathartic for me, a little light-hearted retrospective. It you don't enjoy it then you crack on and enjoy your Sunday.

Lots of strong candidates.

The 6-0 obviously a strong contender. However, as some have pointed out, at least Watford have a much more expensive squad than us. Perhaps feels more embarrassing being absolutely battered by clubs like Rotherham. Barnsley (H) also a good option - feels like a game that summarizes our season well, and 0.02xG at home must be some kind of record.

The difficulty is that the consistency of truly dreadful performances is what's most embarrassing. Being utterly dominated *every* *single* *week*. 

3 hours ago, Mihai said:

All games that I saw were far beyond Championship standard level. I don't want to be mean but most of the wins were cause the opponents treated us with too much respect and we scored lucky low effort goals or by errors.

I am talking about football not wins. It we talk about football, this is the worst since I watch Bristol City, in 15,16 years. Yes, we relegated at some point but by having worse players, not playing worse footbal.

Hope this can change next season.

It might be the red wine talking but I ******* love that out of all the teams in England, you chose us!

You poor bastard!

Much love. 

Another honourable mention, from early on in the season. Middlesbrough at home. We lost 1-0, had no shots on target, and Taylor Moore handed Boro their single goal on a silver platter, which they scored with their only shot on target.

Oh and it was also the game that saw Mawson stretchered off.

What a beauty.

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Another honourable mention, from early on in the season. Middlesbrough away. We lost 1-0, had no shots on target, and Taylor Moore handed Boro their single goal on a silver platter, which they scored with their only shot on target.

Oh and it was also the game that saw Mawson stretchered off.

What a beauty.

A poor performance, I agree, and an unfortunate mistake by TM, but it was actually at Ashton Gate.

There is always something positive to look for; the good thing about all of this is that none of us are under any illusion about how far we have regressed as a club. It very much looked like the wheels had come off when Ashton took six weeks to appoint Holden. We have been listing badly ever since.

It will take a monumental effort to start to turn the tide on and off the pitch before August. At least NP has the credentials and is very refreshingly forthright.

We definitely needed to clear the decks and have a new direction. If this dreadfully disappointing season has taught us one thing it is to not take the likes of Luton or Coventry lightly and approach these games with the same intensity as if we were playing a Sheffield United or West Brom.

Nobody has mentioned whether the football will be pleasing on the eye. I will be the first to say I want to see us at the very least compete and hopefully that will pave the way for a better football spectacle.

13 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Was going to plump for Rotherham away, but as we had an utterly gargantuan two shots on target in that game, I’ll have to revise my view.

That was the beginning of the end for Holden and the start of the real slump on the pitch for me. Everything after that game merged into a never ending malaise of absolute crapness and incompetence.

Whilst we are on the subject of performances the worst performer over the last five years has been TEFLON. A total amateur who was only able to fool about 5% of the fanbase but crucially was unbelievably able to get one over the rest of the sleeping Boardroom and Owner. However, 95% of the fanbase know that for his contribution as CEO he was an abject, bullshit fuelled, empire building, structure hogging, mate employing, money leeching, under/non-achieving charlatan. It's all unravelling in spectacular fashion now, Teflon's performance was shit, he didn't fool us fans for a second and the best thing is he and the rest of the Board/Ownership 100% know that we know it too!! 

Archived