IGNORED

Baker's dozen: who's in, who's out? Your assessment

SecretSam

1. Baker - No contract offer
  2. Mariappa- No contract offer
  3. Rowe- No contract offer
  4. Hunt- No contract offer
  5. Watkins- No contract offer
  6. Walsh- I think a contract will be offered but he’ll leave to go elsewhere. 
  7. Simpson- I think Pearson will keep him as backup - 1 year deal. 
  8. Gilmartin- No contract offer
  9. Lansbury- No contract offer
  10. Diedhiou- won’t sign contract offer
  11. Weinmann- New 2+1 deal
  12. Paterson- No contract offer (I certainly hope)
  13. Adelakun - No contract offer

so I only see us keeping Weimann & Simpson, although I’ll be surprised if we don’t offer Walsh a new one. 

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:
  1. Baker - Keep
  2. Mariappa- Gone
  3. Rowe- Gone
  4. Hunt- Gone
  5. Watkins- Gone
  6. Walsh- Keep
  7. Simpson- Keep
  8. Gilmartin- Gone
  9. Lansbury- Gone
  10. Diedhiou- Gone
  11. Weinmann- Keep
  12. Paterson- Gone
  13. Adelakun - Gone

I’d be ecstatic if we kept those 4 players. 

1. Baker - Gone - 15 games per season isn't enough.
  2. Mariappa- Keep - Solid enough for cover.
  3. Rowe- Gone
  4. Hunt- Gone
  5. Watkins- Gone
  6. Walsh- Keep - Potential.
  7. Simpson- Keep - Cover RB.
  8. Gilmartin- Gone
  9. Lansbury- Gone
  10. Diedhiou- Gone
  11. Weimann- Keep - Versatile, hard-working, eye for a goal.
  12. Paterson- Gone
  13. Adelakun - Gone                       

If it was up to me anyway. Which is very much isn't. Squad needs a good trim!

Baker - Gone
Mariappa - Gone
Rowe - Gone
Hunt - Gone
Watkins - Gone
Walsh - Gone
Simpson - Keep
Gilmartin - Gone
Lansbury - Gone
Diedhiou - Gone
Weimann - Keep
Paterson - Gone
Adelakun - Gone

Is what I would do

1. Baker - Gone - Too costly to keep around with his availability. I think we will look elswhere
  2. Mariappa- Gone - I know he's worked with NP in the past, but he's getting on now, he's got next to no pace & hasn't been great recently.
  3. Rowe- Gone - He's done a reasonable job when standing in for Dasilva, been a decent signing on a free, didn't expect much at all but getting on and I think we can improve on him.
  4. Hunt- Gone - This season he's not looked great, he's not managed to get his 5/6 assists he usually gets either to offset his poor defensive ability. 
  5. Watkins- Gone - Never really had a run at City, stuck up for him quite a bit these past couple of years, didn't think he was great, but wasn't as bad as people made out but little point in keeping him, had a few spells out injured as well.
  6. Walsh- Gone - Not sure how happy he's been with his treatment this season, heard a few little bits. Not too sure if Rolls leaving will mean he considers staying, but a few weeks ago I heard he could be off to Derby if they stayed up.
  7. Simpson- Keep - Pearson will want a few players he 'trusts' to use a LJ phrase. Expect it'll only be a 1 year deal.
  8. Gilmartin- Gone - Never played, he's assistant manager in the U23's though, so perhaps offered terms for that role.
  9. Lansbury- Keep - I get a feeling NP likes him, he's stuck up for him in a couple of interviews. Could be dependent on Walsh staying/going
  10. Diedhiou- Gone - I think he's had a move lined up for a while. All the best to him.
  11. Weinmann- Keep - Year option, 100er, think he's a decent character to keep around but hopefully not a guaranteed starter. 
  12. Paterson- Gone - I think he will go because NP hasn't seen him, and I don't think he's consistently good enough to be offered a deal either. 
  13. Adelakun - Keep - As Gregor mentioned in his article the other day, he has a year option & there will surely be a market for him in League 1, perhaps we extend to make some money rather than losing for nothing?

OK! Personal prejudices to one side.

Who do people think is a Pearson ‘type’ player?

Then go through your list again, taking into account age and injury history and value to a Pearson style team and then review your list and see what happens.

Then look at who we may get offers for that the club would accept

Then when that’s done. Its a matter of who looks good preseason and who consequently gets told they are not in the managers plan....remember form is nearly everything along with doing what Pearson wants!

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Then go through your list again, taking into account age and injury history and value to a Pearson style team and then review your list and see what happens.

Then when that’s done. Its a matter of who looks good preseason and who consequently gets told they are not in the managers plan....remember form is nearly everything along with doing what Pearson wants!

All the players on this list are out of contract. Offers aren't relevant and neither is pre-season as they will only be around then if offered a deal.

There's obviously a further question about what happens to under contract players but we have to decide one way or another on these 13 this week...

1. Baker - gone
  2. Mariappa- gone
  3. Rowe- Gone
  4. Hunt- Gone
  5. Watkins- Gone
  6. Walsh- gone
  7. Simpson- gone
  8. Gilmartin- Gone
  9. Lansbury- gone
  10. Diedhiou- Gone
  11. Weinmann- Keep
  12. Paterson- Keep
  13. Adelakun - gone

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

I’m hoping the meeting goes a little like this.

I’d be offering deals to Weimann, Walsh and Baker. Though I suspect that Simpson will be offered one too. 

16892E62-0250-4BA2-A159-3A28C4A22DEA.jpeg

I'm hoping it is more like this:

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That sort of was the question I asked...it's a tricky one, looking into the mind of Nige...?

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

More importantly, lets say 9 or 10 of those go - how many players from other clubs / OOC are already lined up as replacements. Nerve wracking to let so many go without replacements in place. Interesting summer coming up!

That’s what you get if you let Mark Ashton have too much control.

Baker - Offer reduced terms or pay-as-you-play
Mariappa - Release
Rowe - Release
Hunt - Release
Watkins - Release

Walsh - Keep, two-year deal
Simpson - Unsure, one-year player/coach role? Are we really going to sign two new RBs? Cant' see it
Gilmartin - Release
Lansbury - Release
Diedhiou - Release

Weimann - Trigger one-year extension and keep
Paterson - Release
Adelakun - Trigger one-year extension and sell

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

All the players on this list are out of contract. Offers aren't relevant and neither is pre-season as they will only be around then if offered a deal.

Really! You just said OFFERS are not relevant as they will only be around then if OFFERED a deal! The point was who on that list is a Pearson player as I think there is at least one that everyone thinks has no chance does in fact have a chance dependent on fitness.

There's obviously a further question about what happens to under contract players but we have to decide one way or another on these 13 this week...

Obviously  the out of contract situation is paramount. The under contract players, guess what, have contracts! What happens with them is a factor of offers, pre season training and any unwanted players then are advised they are not in the managers plans, at which time they and the club try and find them football and/or let them run down their contract.......But thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

More importantly, lets say 9 or 10 of those go - how many players from other clubs / OOC are already lined up as replacements. Nerve wracking to let so many go without replacements in place. Interesting summer coming up!

I think another question is how many we actually need?

Eight of those players - Walsh, Baker, Watkins, Weimann, Gilmartin, Simpson, Paterson and Adelakun have all not featured that much for different reasons. 

Pearson has said he wants a smaller squad and, with players back from injury, we'd arguably be better off with four quality replacements rather than directly replacing everyone. 

21 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

That sort of was the question I asked...it's a tricky one, looking into the mind of Nige...?

Exactly! To put myself in Pearsons mind as best as I can, he will want Weimann. Walsh is everyone’s pick here but he does have Williams and I keep hearing Walsh will not sign. 

Baker keeps getting mentioned, I reckon is 50-50, Pearson still sleeping on that! The wildcard for me is Watkins....Not sure what he will do there!

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think another question is how many we actually need?

Eight of those players - Walsh, Baker, Watkins, Weimann, Gilmartin, Simpson, Paterson and Adelakun have all not featured that much for different reasons. 

Pearson has said he wants a smaller squad and, with players back from injury, we'd arguably be better off with four quality replacements rather than directly replacing everyone. 

A quick peek on the city website shows we have 38 players in the squad. Wasn't there a ruling to cap the squad size to 25, or has that been canned?

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

A quick peek on the city website shows we have 38 players in the squad. Wasn't there a ruling to cap the squad size to 25, or has that been canned?

With that I think we'ed struggle to find 11 fit players 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

No - that is right. I think players under a certain age don't count. Possibly 21, but quite a few of our young players are 22 or 23 so I think players like Pring, Bakinson and Cundy, for example, would have to be registered as part of the 25 to be used next year. 

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s what you get if you let Mark Ashton have too much control.

Do we know though if it was MA who made the decision not to offer contracts. I can see SL looking at a season with no revenue last summer and predicting a massive drop in wages this summer. It would be the kind of financial strategy I can see being very much driven by him. 

1. Baker - Gone
  2. Mariappa- Gone
  3. Rowe- Gone
  4. Hunt- Gone
  5. Watkins- Gone
  6. Walsh- Keep
  7. Simpson- Keep 1 year
  8. Gilmartin- Gone
  9. Lansbury- Gone
  10. Diedhiou- Gone
  11. Weimann- Keepn 1 year
  12. Paterson- Gone
  13. Adelakun - Gone

I’d be disappointed if we kept more than 3 of that list. 

Baker - no point as usually injured. Not paying him 20k a week to be available 60-70% of the time in a good year. Pass

Mariappa - I am all for experienced players but he will be 35 during next season. Pass

Simpson - same as Mariappa pass

Rowe - not a good enough backup at any position even though versatile. He really regressed after his injury. 33 next season so pass

Hunt - I have stuck with him for a long time but this season was a big regression on what was at best slightly above average RB. Pass

Watkins - I think he is useful but often injured and probably on a surprisingly high wage. Not paying that for backup. Pass

Lansbury - I can see merit to it. Think he started to show some signs of life. Played as a holding midfielder which I don’t think he is though. So I’ll pass and look for a more suitable type to that position who can run a game like NP seems to want. 

Gilmartin - pass

Walsh - I’d pass personally. Could regret it but I get the feeling he expects to play week in and week out but has never shown enough consistency with us for it. However, if NP offers him a deal then I’ll trust his judgement. 

Fam - think he has been gone for awhile now. I think the stick he is receiving is a bit OTT as he is a striker in the worst attacking team in championship history(could tell it that way with the shots stat). But anyway pass

Weimann - extending. I used to hate the excuse about weimann being a worker when his quality let us down. I also had some expectation of football being played. Now, I think we need that graft and experience over the next 2 seasons. Keep

Paterson - when pato and weimann went down injured is when our season really went up into flames. I’ll get the he isn’t consistent but he hasn’t been in a consistent position to get the best from him. 5 goals and 7 assists in half a season central with Bobby Reid. Hell he was at a goal contribution every 4 games (2 goals 3 assists in 20 compared to Palmer 3 goals 2 assists in 35) this season in a bad attacking side. He is a Bristol City level attacking player. If he was any better he’d be at a better club. I am keeping as a squad option. 

Adelakun - pass. Could regret it but think less chance than Walsh that we’d regret. 

So for me I’d keep Weimann and Paterson 100%. Can be persuaded into Walsh and a lesser extent Lansbury. Everyone else can just go and we rebuild with what is here. 

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Decisions this week. Whom do you think Nige will keep?

1. Baker - Keep
  2. Mariappa- Keep
  3. Rowe- Gone
  4. Hunt- Gone
  5. Watkins- Gone
  6. Walsh- Keep
  7. Simpson- Keep
  8. Gilmartin- Gone
  9. Lansbury- Keep
  10. Diedhiou- Gone
  11. Weinmann- Keep
  12. Paterson- Keep
  13. Adelakun - Gone

I can't for one second believe he'd want to keep over half of those. I think it'll be 3 or 4 at most. This is his chance to build his own wage budget and some of those are serious earners. 

As for the Walsh issue, I don't get it. What has he done to make so many want him to stay? I'm fairly sure Pearson will know the type of midfielders he wants and that is the one area where a lot of the current ones are in contract so he won't have as much wiggle room. I think he'll want to clear out those he cam and get his own in. I'd like to see Matty James and Barry Bannan in personally.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly! To put myself in Pearsons mind as best as I can, he will want Weimann. Walsh is everyone’s pick here but he does have Williams and I keep hearing Walsh will not sign. 

Baker keeps getting mentioned, I reckon is 50-50, Pearson still sleeping on that! The wildcard for me is Watkins....Not sure what he will do there!

I’m not sure NP eventually finding Marley Watkins hiding in the HPC after a hunt for him, followed by “go and tell your effin agent agent to start finding you a new club” correlates with wildcard and that he might still be here. ???

Rumoured conversation ⬆️

51 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

No - that is right. I think players under a certain age don't count. Possibly 21, but quite a few of our young players are 22 or 23 so I think players like Pring, Bakinson and Cundy, for example, would have to be registered as part of the 25 to be used next year. 

U21 at start of season must be registered but do not need to be in the 25 man squad.  Massengo for example is not in the 25 man squad list.

Pring was over 21 anyway, but was not included in the 25 man squad as injured with little chance of being fit….hence u23 apps only of late.  Nor was Weimann either.

51 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Do we know though if it was MA who made the decision not to offer contracts. I can see SL looking at a season with no revenue last summer and predicting a massive drop in wages this summer. It would be the kind of financial strategy I can see being very much driven by him. 

Board / owner decision….so SL very much culpable.

46 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

On another not to related note. The lad who scored on Saturday is he out of contract? I seem to remember interest from WBA as he was! 

Anyone know the score there?

Club exercised their year option.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they opened talks on a longer deal this summer.  Expecting deals for Towler and Pearson too this summer.

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

I can't for one second believe he'd want to keep over half of those. I think it'll be 3 or 4 at most. This is his chance to build his own wage budget and some of those are serious earners. 

As for the Walsh issue, I don't get it. What has he done to make so many want him to stay? I'm fairly sure Pearson will know the type of midfielders he wants and that is the one area where a lot of the current ones are in contract so he won't have as much wiggle room. I think he'll want to clear out those he cam and get his own in. I'd like to see Matty James and Barry Bannon in personally.

Pearson talked very enthusiastically about Walsh, so good chance he may want him to stay.  Whether he does or not is a different matter.

Matty James looking like he’s staying at Coventry.  Which might in a funny way lessen Walsh’s options!

I prefer to ignore your other suggestion ???

Why would we keep Mariappa? He's a second centre half and not the dominating ball winner. If NP keeps Baker, he could be the ball winner but he is not the organising type.

We have enough second centre half's with Vyner, Moore, Kalas. And I'd keep Cundy here as centre half back up.

A defensive right back plus aforementioned ball winner are the two we need.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not sure NP eventually finding Marley Watkins hiding in the HPC after a hunt for him, followed by “go and tell your effin agent agent to start finding you a new club” correlates with wildcard and that he might still be here. ???

Rumoured conversation ⬆️

U21 at start of season must be registered but do not need to be in the 25 man squad.  Massengo for example is not in the 25 man squad list.

Pring was over 21 anyway, but was not included in the 25 man squad as injured with little chance of being fit….hence u23 apps only of late.  Nor was Weimann either.

Board / owner decision….so SL very much culpable.

Club exercised their year option.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they opened talks on a longer deal this summer.  Expecting deals for Towler and Pearson too this summer.

Well if that rumor has a grain of truth then that is that then! L M F A O! Would love to have seen it!

Good to know about the extension...! 

Archived