IGNORED

Bradford City fire 11/05/85

Barry Sheene

Mum’s side of my family is from Bradford and I have two cousins who were at the match that day.

They witnessed people messmerised by the flames and walking into, rather than away from the danger. Tried to save some but to no avail. 

A terrible tragedy. 

23 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Terry Yorath says he had PTSD after being there that day.

An awful situation. Wooden seats in a wooden-framed stand with a build-up of litter beneath the rows, and a bitumen-clad roof above it.  Smoking on the terraces. Took 4 minutes for the entire stand to be ablaze.

I can't remember watching it live at the time, but it was one of the blazes we examined when I was doing a course as a fire marshal once. Absolute accident waiting to happen (leaving aside the arson rumour). 

I have a feeling City were home that day, so wouldnt have actually seen it live. Sure I remember listening on my little radio in the ground as events unfolded.

edit. Just checked , we were home to Reading.

10 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

should get more coverage. horrible. RIP54. so sad, im sure there all watching the games still !

Incidentally it’s 56, 54 from Bradford and 2 from Lincoln 

Martin Fletcher who lost his Granddad Dad and Brother in the fire and was in the forest end during the Hillsborough Disaster wrote a very powerful book detailing that day and the aftermath and is a recommended read although it’s obviously not the easiest 

Archived