IGNORED

Potential New Head of Recruitment...

petehinton

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

If we recruit anyone before someone who has the correct skill set is appointed I fear we are in for another shambles of a transfer window. Why are we talking with anyone until the right person/people are in place?

Hopefully he’s just in early discussions as to x or y players’ availability, to then take back to his video analyst team to clip some footage and crunch some data. 
I certainly wouldn’t want him conducting any negotiations. 

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Because if we don't act now with who we have in place at present then we are going to be miles behind on recruitment?

I don't see the club has any other option than to use who we have until appropriate appointments are in place.

Ashton has shafted the club, fans and the Lansdown's. It will take a bit of time to rebuild the club on and off the pitch and remove the sour taste from our mouth's he has left us with..

I agree, and to play devil's advocate a little bit:

I'd imagine that if he was previously reporting to MA as part of, or head, of player recruitment - he was likely doing >a lot< of the preparation work, and MA then lead the negotiation process as the executive figure.

Lets face it, MA did NOT run the player analysis software himself, or uni-laterally decide on players, or edit all the legal contracts (probably done by the club lawyer), or prepare cost and salary analysis (probably done by finance staff) - MA would have had other people doing this, and in many cases these people will still be at the club. Asumming Gillespy knows how to contact the finance and legal people - its not imposible he could do a job as part of a "team effort" until a new CEO or DOF arrives (hopefully soon).

How many people here feel they could do a good job filling in for their boss? - I know I could. I also have four teams that work for me, and if I am away ANY of the four team leads are more than capable of filling in for me - its called succession planning and its how good businesses are run.

I know that Ashton was CEO, and Gillespy isn't a CEO, but in terms of recruitment many on here felt a "proper football man" could do better, so i am willing to give the guy benefit of the doubt before doom-saying. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No, it’s the one from Primal Scream.

One day I need to start a thread along the lines of which 90s musicians would you like to work at the club and in what role?!

22 minutes ago, cityal said:

I agree, and to play devil's advocate a little bit:

I'd imagine that if he was previously reporting to MA as part of, or head, of player recruitment - he was likely doing >a lot< of the preparation work, and MA then lead the negotiation process as the executive figure.

Lets face it, MA did NOT run the player analysis software himself, or uni-laterally decide on players, or edit all the legal contracts (probably done by the club lawyer), or prepare cost and salary analysis (probably done by finance staff) - MA would have had other people doing this, and in many cases these people will still be at the club. Asumming Gillespy knows how to contact the finance and legal people - its not imposible he could do a job as part of a "team effort" until a new CEO or DOF arrives (hopefully soon).

How many people here feel they could do a good job filling in for their boss? - I know I could. I also have four teams that work for me, and if I am away ANY of the four team leads are more than capable of filling in for me - its called succession planning and its how good businesses are run.

I know that Ashton was CEO, and Gillespy isn't a CEO, but in terms of recruitment many on here felt a "proper football man" could do better, so i am willing to give the guy benefit of the doubt before doom-saying. 

His job is running a team of analysts who clip footage for the “proper football men” to look at. It’s to scour databases to find out who the guy is who’s completed the most crosses in the Belgian 3rd division. 
His job is not to speak to agents about “premier league strikers” and whether Bristol City might be interested in talking to him. It’s not part of a succession plan - it’s a totally different role of which (from what I’ve heard of this chap) is not qualified or capable of. 
I’m not disrespecting the guy - I’m sure he knows his analytics - but I know a few people who know him and he’s not cut out for this role. 
As I said earlier. We need to act last month on this. 

1 hour ago, Blockb said:

Did not know where to post this but did anyone see Craig Shakespeare at the villa game tonight probably was there I just missed him 

Yea he was there and very visible on the touch line. We’ve got no chance with him I’d imagine.  

Ok. Bit of an update from a couple of agents - they’re not very impressed. Nothing against Gilhespy but he’s an analyst, not a recruiter. The fact they’re having to deal with him is not making their job very easy. They hope things change quickly as it’s not building their hopes up. 

To add - the Bristol Post article is an embarrassment and doesn’t show the club in a very good light whatsoever. 

Not my words......... 

I’ll stress again - we need someone in last month!! Every day that passes...... 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ok. Bit of an update from a couple of agents - they’re not very impressed. Nothing against Gilhespy but he’s an analyst, not a recruiter. The fact they’re having to deal with him is not making their job very easy. They hope things change quickly as it’s not building their hopes up. 

To add - the Bristol Post article is an embarrassment and doesn’t show the club in a very good light whatsoever. 

Not my words......... 

I’ll stress again - we need someone in last month!! Every day they passes...... 

I would hope he was but the fact that the club have said he wasn’t on garden leave, does this mean that Ashton actually is? Surely, if he’s here until 31 May & to quote JL the trust is there so no need for Garden leave, so would assume talks with agents would be his last act?

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not my words......... 

I’ll stress again - we need someone in last month!! Every day they passes...... 

I guess it's not easy when you approach people (Villa bod) and they turn you down.

Hope Nige has a long list of contacts. He said himself if this didn't get sorted until the summer it would be too late! 

7 minutes ago, Merrick&#x27;s Marvels said:

I guess it's not easy when you approach people (Villa bod) and they turn you down.

Hope Nige has a long list of contacts. He said himself if this didn't get sorted until the summer it would be too late! 

@Harry Surely Nige would get involved with meeting the agents, given that we are without a CEO and Head of Recruitment?

19 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I would hope he was but the fact that the club have said he wasn’t on garden leave, does this mean that Ashton actually is? Surely, if he’s here until 31 May & to quote JL the trust is there so no need for Garden leave, so would assume talks with agents would be his last act?

Ashton left a few weeks ago. The ‘trust is there’ comment is just spin. He’s long gone 

2 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

it just seems like everything takes so long with this club to appoint or plan out what’s happening in regards to the whole back room staff and players. So unorganised from an outside perspective 

We act and react so slowly. NP talked about the whole club on board in aiming for the improvement needed to move up the table and aim for promotion of in the future. Well SL and his cronies need to get a move on.  They seem to act as if there was no urgency required.They have had time to get their plans in to place but again it looks like they have been caught napping yet again. Do they never learn.

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

@Harry Surely Nige would get involved with meeting the agents, given that we are without a CEO and Head of Recruitment?

Previous interviews seem to indicate Pearson doesn't like to deal with agents. However I do wonder if there could be a possibility of the club using an agent themselves in their meetings. Gilhespy in there as the football guy and an (independent) agent in there to act like a recruiter knowing how agents want to deal? Just until we appoint someone.

15 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

@Lrrrbeat me to it ⬆️⬆️⬆️

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Gilhespy is reporting directly to Pearson. 

In some ways, even if temporary, that might be a good thing.  No opportunity for “lost in translation”, so going through the CEO middle-man in terms pure “talent id”.

NP: here’s what I want

SG: here’s what I’ve found (and how they fit with what you want)

NP will soon work out whether he gets the brief or not.

You’d hope BT is involved too.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

His job is running a team of analysts who clip footage for the “proper football men” to look at. It’s to scour databases to find out who the guy is who’s completed the most crosses in the Belgian 3rd division. 
His job is not to speak to agents about “premier league strikers” and whether Bristol City might be interested in talking to him. It’s not part of a succession plan - it’s a totally different role of which (from what I’ve heard of this chap) is not qualified or capable of. 
I’m not disrespecting the guy - I’m sure he knows his analytics - but I know a few people who know him and he’s not cut out for this role. 
As I said earlier. We need to act last month on this. 

Don't get me wrong I do agree we could do with someone with experience in the role ASAP, its very likely going to be the best way to success, and this off season the squad needs a lot of rebuilding - as I mentioned I was merely playing "devils advocate" in my previous post.

I was just trying to give someone who accoridng to GMcG is clearly a bristol city man, and who has been thrust into a role (possibly reluctantly) the benefit of the doubt. People can swim as well as sink in these situations - if as you say agents are "not impressed" it may not be a good sign though. ?

Whilst we all want immediate results, Nige has said that it will take time and this is a point in question. Getting a new man on board should be a considered one and not a knee jerk reaction.

With such relatively short notice and limited pool to fish in, getting a top rated recruiter, for want of a better job description, could take time, but in the long run it will be better to take our time than get a second rate person (MA) 

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Not my words......... 

I’ll stress again - we need someone in last month!! Every day that passes...... 

Ahh diddums we have upset Mr 10% they are leaches to our game and not worried in the slightest that maybe, just maybe they won't get all their own way

8 hours ago, cityal said:

Don't get me wrong I do agree we could do with someone with experience in the role ASAP, its very likely going to be the best way to success, and this off season the squad needs a lot of rebuilding - as I mentioned I was merely playing "devils advocate" in my previous post.

I was just trying to give someone who accoridng to GMcG is clearly a bristol city man, and who has been thrust into a role (possibly reluctantly) the benefit of the doubt. People can swim as well as sink in these situations - if as you say agents are "not impressed" it may not be a good sign though. ?

While I have no idea how good or qualified he is for this role, he’s a local lad who has no desire to leave the area. He’s a Coventry fan. 

21 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ahh diddums we have upset Mr 10% they are leaches to our game and not worried in the slightest that maybe, just maybe they won't get all their own way

Yes. In the current climate I would imagine that agents will be less than impressed with negotiations across the board.

Shame.

34 minutes ago, frenchred said:

That's all very well, but unfortunately they are a necessary evil and without their buy-in it'll be difficult to recruit the players we need.

40 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Diddums indeed. No matter what you think of the role of agents, they exist. And without dealing with them properly, having a trust, a confidence and a relationship, you won’t get the players you want. 
It’s a necessary evil I’m afraid french. 

37 minutes ago, tin said:

While I have no idea how good or qualified he is for this role, he’s a local lad who has no desire to leave the area. He’s a Coventry fan. 

I thought he was a Leeds fan, tin. Not that it matters, but he’s not someone cut out for this role - he may well be a very good analyst, so nothing against the guy, but it’s like the receptionist at the Dr’s taking your bloods. 

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Diddums indeed. No matter what you think of the role of agents, they exist. And without dealing with them properly, having a trust, a confidence and a relationship, you won’t get the players you want. 
It’s a necessary evil I’m afraid french. 

I thought he was a Leeds fan, tin. Not that it matters, but he’s not someone cut out for this role - he may well be a very good analyst, so nothing against the guy, but it’s like the receptionist at the Dr’s taking your bloods. 

You might be right, actually. That's rings a bell. I was often wrecked when turning out for that Sunday team with him a long time ago. 

I'm totally with you, though. SL should've got someone senior in to take care of this a while ago. All it says to me is that a) he didn't know Ashton was conspiring behind his back, b) once again, there's no succession or contingency plan in place. It's embarrassingly amateur, IMO. 

Archived