IGNORED

Semenyo

Kid in the Riot

Only player we have that can shift the ball and run past players and has shown his eye for setting up teammates. Goals will come with more game time.

How much does £3-5m get you nowadays in terms of getting creative players? unless its a shot at a fairly unknown foreign player, not a lot.

English premium will prop him up value wise if he improves in the next season which I'm sure he will under NP if he buys in to what he wants.

Pearson has already said don't get ahead of ourselves in terms of an instant rebuild and in these financial circumstances I would keep and wait and see how this young man improves in our side.

This boy has big potential. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Only player we have that can shift the ball and run past players and has shown his eye for setting up teammates. Goals will come with more game time.

How much does £3-5m get you nowadays in terms of getting creative players? unless its a shot at a fairly unknown foreign player, not a lot.

English premium will prop him up value wise if he improves in the next season which I'm sure he will under NP if he buys in to what he wants.

Pearson has already said don't get ahead of ourselves in terms of an instant rebuild and in these financial circumstances I would keep and wait and see how this young man improves in our side.

This boy has big potential. 

I'm also inclined to say keep him. However It's going to be an unusual market this summer - there are a lot of out of contract players and I guess you could argue £3m + freeing up a squad space allows you to put that money towards the wages of an out of contract player we might not be able to afford otherwise. I guess it all depends on who NP wants this summer. But just to emphasise again I'd rather we kept him I think he could really develop the difference between last season and this is already huge. 

• Like 1

I’d be inclined to keep him to be honest. Granted the jury is most certainly out on his goalscoring ability at this level however we did see glimpses last season of his potential, if NP can get him to add some more composure in front of goal your looking at £15 million plus for him and in the meantime we have a good striker to call on. 

• Like 1

Keep, he’s gone from a 3 or 4/10 player last season to a 5 or 6/10 this and that’s in a woeful performing team with the most embarrassing attacking threat ever seen in the Championship. Can you honestly see him not getting more goals/assists if he’s in a squad that creates 25/30% more chances next season? This year he was our outlet because nobody else was taking responsibility. I genuinely believe he’s been taken out of the team towards the end of this season due to what Pearson said about the detrimental effects suffered by the youngsters being overplayed.

• Like 2

The main factor in deciding whether to keep or sell should be does NP think he will ever deliver an end product on a regular basis. For all his undoubted talent, at present he doesn’t. Getting him to change won’t be easy as, at present, when in a shooting or crossing position he tends to panic and just blasts the ball as hard as he can. 

• Like 1

I'd be looking at £6 mil personally. 

My issue with Semenyo is where does he fit into our team. He's not an out and out striker, and we know Nigel wants to play wingers which he isn't one either. 

I'd rather move Semenyo on for a decent wedge and look to get players in for a style of football we want. Always seems forced with Antoine. 

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Ah, Semenyo...

He’s one of those players and at his age, it’s difficult to weigh up because he could be so so good. I wouldn’t like to be in the board room for this one...

Nah, nor me. 

I'm gonna phone in sick!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Palace interested apparently. Want him for £3m.

We want £5m.

Don't shoot the messenger ?

And, in anticipation of the "hahaha bite their hands off for £3m" posts, I don't necessarily disagree. However, word of caution: we all said the same regarding one Yannick Bolasie.

I’d not sell him for either of those figures, if he can be coached to finish better then he will be worth a hell of a lot more than that 

9 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Strange one isn't he?

That goal against Millwall in the cup, i thought "wow he has the ability to do that". Plus the 5/6 assists that he got in the first half of the season.

I didn't rate him at all, based on the evidence of the 19/20 season. But i thought i would have to reevaluate my thinking around him.

However, second half of the season (like everyone else), his overall performances were not of the same standard.

His two league goals consist of 2 x chasing down the keeper, and the ball coming off his ass. He's not a natural goalscorer, in the way that Conway and Britton have demonstrated for the under 23s, and first team.

In that case, what sort of player is he?

In the current climate £4-5m affords us the capability to get 3/4 other players in to help with the rebuild.

I have no problem with him going for that figure. But a lot will depend on how we replace him.

That will be the indication of whether we've learned from our previous mistakes; and that the new processes/talent id process is working in the way we hope it will.

Good post.

Maybe I am getting more generous in my old age but I would see his form in the second half of the season in this light;

Prior to the season just ended he had started 4 games at this level with a few sub appearances too.

We both were pretty underwhelmed by what we had seen then & so his transformation in the first half of the season was impressive.

However at 21, in a side that consistently failed to score or even create opportunities being expected to form most of our pitiful attacking “threat” was a hell of a burden for him to shoulder.

Our 2 main strikers by this time consisted of a guy who started phoning it in because he was off & one who is far happier to point out to Antoine that his pass was poor than to encourage him.

He is, to use one of Nige’s favourite phrases, robust, and had been involved in every single game bar one (which he missed due to a bereavement, not an injury) up until the very last game.

I think it is fair to consider him physically & mentally knackered by the end of the season, therefore.

You are right, the replacement bit is key here, all bar the relegated clubs will have no money to spend & if we can get the right appointment in to improve this area, as I said before £4m would get you a lot this summer, when you factor in the expected huge reduction in the wage bill by releasing 9 or 10.

Personally I would take the chance on him for at least the first part of the season. Palace are not buying him to go straight into their team so they won’t be n a rush. 
if he clicks and does start scoring goals his value will rocket up. 
Plus I’m looking forward to seeing him play in person. It’s been fun watching him scare defenders when he charges at them like a raging bull on TV. 
His form dipped towards the latter part of the season but so did everyone’s also was he not playing with knocks as well? 
Hopefully Nige sees potential and wants to work with him. 

• Like 1

I’m inclined to agree with those who say he’ll be worth a lot more in a year. He’s one of the few players I actually look forward to watching. He’s developed a lot this season. Good youngsters can make leaps forward.

Also, if we’re just going to use the money to bring in players like Angela or Danny Simpson, then definitely keep him.

There needs to be a clear plan of bringing in strong, athletic, fit players around the age of 23-26. The transfer money would have to be used judiciously.

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Pretty sure he has multiple years left on his deal. Risk it and if he scores 10-15 he is worth more than 3-5m even with a year left. He isn’t a great finisher at the minute and may never be. That said, he gets into good positions often and a bit more composure his goal return could easily go up. We have finally developed him into a championship player, so why sell him? We sell too early too often. Let’s build around some of these players for once. 

We sell because we can get a better replacement, in the current market. Maybe more than one. Players who aren't learning on the job and who can fill a specific role immediately - what is Semenyo? A winger, a wide forward, a centre forward? Right here, right now we don't have the time to wait and found out, given the mess we're in.

In a way, he would be a victim of our circumstances if we decided to sell him, although moving to the Premier League would hardly be a hardship.

Personally, I'd sell because I find the idea of Semenyo ever scoring 10-15 goals fanciful in the extreme. 

• Like 4

Lets just remember that Conway and Brittain have scored as many league goals in their combined minutes (200?) as Semenyo has in two years and were keeping him out of the side at the end of the season, appreciate there is more to his game than that but if the £5m can be used to sort out other area's of the team then I would be happy enough to see the likes of Brittain, Conway and Bell be blooded next season in a more settled team.

• Like 4

We have to consider the player in this. He’s from London and was only brought into our set up relatively recently. He’s got the opportunity for a bump in salary and to move back “home”. A chance to train and play in the premier league.(Granted he doesn’t look ready yet). It feels difficult/ wrong to stand in his way. Only issue is negotiating a fee that is acceptable to all sides. £5M + add ons + sell on clause doesn’t seem far off the mark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I would like to see AS play in a side that is a lot better than the one we saw this season. He looks like he could become a very special player, and 3/4 M is not selling a player Brentford style is it. We need to get him to the £10m plus. Players like AS should be forming a good core of a team that gets to the Prem. 

If we continue selling any talent we have, keep signing journeymen, we will end up... well where we are. A total pile of crap. 

Anyway, who is negotiating for City and worse still, who is out there finding replacements ? If it is anyone from the Aston recruitment team (or was it just him alone) then we are in a big mess. Nige without a recruitment team is going to fail, and badly. Selling one of the few talents we have, will make his job almost impossible. 

Final paragraph is the worry. Although my feeling on it is slightly more nuanced. If Ashton is still involved then you’d worry about the recruitment. On the other hand, his track record of extracting maximum value when we sell is pretty good. I realise it’s sinful on here to suggest that he’s anything other than a complete idiot, but I wouldn’t mind if he was still involved in negotiating any sale. Just not to Ipswich! 

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We sell because we can get a better replacement, in the current market. Maybe more than one. Players who aren't learning on the job and who can fill a specific role immediately - what is Semenyo? A winger, a wide forward, a centre forward? Right here, right now we don't have the time to wait and found out, given the mess we're in.

In a way, he would be a victim of our circumstances if we decided to sell him, although moving to the Premier League would hardly be a hardship.

Personally, I'd sell because I find the idea of Semenyo ever scoring 10-15 goals fanciful in the extreme. 

What’s happening to Semenyo happens to lots of young players.  Take Ivan Toney, huge promise but for his first six seasons he scored about 35 goals in total.  In the last three seasons he’s scored over seventy, playing in sides that understand him and with the benefit of growing experience.  Put Semenyo in the right set up and I think he’s quite capable of scoring 20 goals next season.  I wouldn’t consider selling him for a moment, but if he did go I would be very disappointed if he went for anything less than £10m.  But what I’d really like to see is us build a team around him, because I believe he’s going to surprise a lot of you.

26 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Chelsea, offered a few million for him years ago.

If he has a good season, he will rise in value again.

I

I think this is it. If he doesn’t show improvement then we don’t lose too much value, however the upside of keeping him and him progressing next season could be huge and vastly outweigh any downside.  All a punt of course and lots of factors to consider not least as to what he wants himself and how he would react to any move being turned down, but that’s why we’ve appointed a serious manager - to make these decisions and hopefully have trust in the ones he makes.  

I reckon Semenyo will flourish under Nige. He’s pacy and if he can utilise that ability to its full benefit he’ll become quite an asset.

He’s been learning from the likes of Wells and Martin on when to make runs and find space and work on his finishing.

Next campaign could be his breakthrough season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Final paragraph is the worry. Although my feeling on it is slightly more nuanced. If Ashton is still involved then you’d worry about the recruitment. On the other hand, his track record of extracting maximum value when we sell is pretty good. I realise it’s sinful on here to suggest that he’s anything other than a complete idiot, but I wouldn’t mind if he was still involved in negotiating any sale. Just not to Ipswich! 

Done deal, sold to Ipswich for £1 who will then sell him to Palace for £15m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Put Semenyo in the right set up and I think he’s quite capable of scoring 20 goals next season.  I wouldn’t consider selling him for a moment, but if he did go I would be very disappointed if he went for anything less than £10m.  But what I’d really like to see is us build a team around him, because I believe he’s going to surprise a lot of you.

I completely disagree but there we are, that's life ?

As others here have said, he's not actually a natural footballer. He's an athlete with a well developed physique for his age who happens to play football. So he's just not my type, I'm afraid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1