IGNORED

Semenyo

Kid in the Riot

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I reckon Semenyo will flourish under Nige. He’s pacy and if he can utilise that ability to its full benefit he’ll become quite an asset.

He’s been learning from the likes of Wells and Martin on when to make runs and find space and work on his finishing.

Next campaign could be his breakthrough season.

I think the overall vibe from the forum is that at £4M then thats about right and will give NP more room elsewhere...

Thing is with Sem have we really seen him reproduce that form from a year so back when playing for Newport  in front of match day cameras and the pundits were drooling over him then... and i recall watching him  those televised cup games when he terrorised M'boro and was it Leicester ?   Martin Keown the pundit was drooling over how good he was..  But he was being used wider and deeper, getting the ball deep and then motoring...the thing stuck to him.  He walked past players like they weren't there...

Perhaps I feel he is still not being played to his strengths here.  I for one hope he stays as he has another 2 years to run on his deal. Let him have a great season next year and that value might rocket still.

Edited by DT The Optimist
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

40 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Deffo, I'm still bemused we let him go...

You're bemused why we let go someone who had 12 months left on their contract, no intention of signing a new deal and as a club using a system which didn't involve wingers? Add being offered a couple of million at a time where the club had very limited income for months

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Semenyo's better off staying here for at least another season............rather than warming the bench at Palace?   Playing for us regularly will improve his profile, and he is still young enough to delay moving to the Prem.  Also i just hate the fact, that yet again, as soon as we have a young player with ability, the first thing on the agenda is.............how much can we get for him?.   How about just enjoying his playing ability and   hopefully his  contribution to us improving and actually  entertaining our long suffering supporters?  I am a realist, but I am sick of our ongoing profile of being a selling club.  We need to hold on to our best players, not sell them as soon as they begin displaying  their potential.....otherwise, why bother?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Palace interested apparently. Want him for £3m.

We want £5m.

Don't shoot the messenger ?

And, in anticipation of the "hahaha bite their hands off for £3m" posts, I don't necessarily disagree. However, word of caution: we all said the same regarding one Yannick Bolasie.

Bye bye  ?

3 hours ago, Redstart said:

Think I'd be happy to get £3m-£4m for Semenyo, give Louis Britton a go at the striker role but look to bring in a decent winger then with the monies.  Think we dropped a bollock letting Elliason go as a provider. 

Given it is likely Nimes are going to get relegated, we might be able to buy him back - for a cut-price fee ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Semenyo's better off staying here for at least another season............rather than warming the bench at Palace?   Playing for us regularly will improve his profile, and he is still young enough to delay moving to the Prem.  Also i just hate the fact, that yet again, as soon as we have a young player with ability, the first thing on the agenda is.............how much can we get for him?.   How about just enjoying his playing ability and   hopefully his  contribution to us improving and actually  entertaining our long suffering supporters?  I am a realist, but I am sick of our ongoing profile of being a selling club.  We need to hold on to our best players, not sell them as soon as they begin displaying  their potential.....otherwise, why bother?

Or is it just reality that if a prem club comes knocking there’s not a lot you can do about it.

49 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, cos look how well that worked out.. in terms of us creating assists, scoring etc prize money and ooh, we're also losing Fam for nowt too sooo worked wonders for us didn't it ? Sold fam, kept Elliason, would have been better. 

I'm sure the what was it 1.7mill we got wasnt entirely wasted on other players who made us worse either. 

So, yes, bemused. 

Had it been a straight choice that Eliasson would sign a new contract if you sold Fam, I’d have been all over it like a rash.  But it wasn’t.  As it happens neither player wanted to sign a contract, we managed to get £2.25m for Eliasson and saved a year’s wages.  In Fam’s case we blew £800k in wages and any transfer fee we might’ve got.

In terms of Eliasson’s output (very good number of assists - understatement?), in terms of the influence of results when he played versus when he didn’t was no different.  He didn’t make the 19/20 side better nor worse.  From my point if view we played more one dimensional with him in the team that without…especially when he played RW, cutting in on his left.  Statistically he assisted more per game playing LW than he did RW….I’m not sure why he continually played RW?

Having said all that, I wouldn’t mind having him back. LW in a 4231….I quite fancy that.

11 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Prem still has money, been long confirmed that they dont 'need' fans to attend to have money

So if he wants to go 7-10m seems about correct (plus add ons) Eze was just shy of 20m iirc

The big problem with this situation is that any player is going to have their head turned by a contract offer that could set them up for life and that’s before you add in the prospect of playing in the ‘ best ‘ league in the world. 

Could a player get his  head down and give his  all for a club who have effectively crushed his dreams ?

These lads are human after all. 

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, cos look how well that worked out.. in terms of us creating assists, scoring etc prize money and ooh, we're also losing Fam for nowt too sooo worked wonders for us didn't it ? Sold fam, kept Elliason, would have been better. 

I'm sure the what was it 1.7mill we got wasnt entirely wasted on other players who made us worse either. 

So, yes, bemused. 

The actions on transfers afterwards have no bearing on the decision of selling Eliasson, hindsight on the face of the deal at the time Brunt was really the only poor transfer and he was a free transfer as it was. Had we kept Eliasson he'd have been off now for nothing as well, Famara seemingly was leading City on that he'd sign a new deal, Eliasson not it seemed so we do what we do (usually) when an asset's contract is running down, get what value we could for him. I don't think Eliasson would have added much to this season, you need to be on the pitch to be involved with goals and Holden wouldn't have played him until he started tinkering with formations but that took quite a while. Who says we weren't offering Famara out as well? However as said he was seemingly leading City on a merry chase of his own. >£2m in is better than losing him for free given how much he probably would have added this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

In fairness, a lot of posters are not asking how much can we get for him, but are asking whether he can improve sufficiently to justify not selling him now, given the pressing need for funds to re-develop the team.

He’s strong and has great pace, but he’s a striker that doesn’t score goals - something we’ve a track record of developing well at AG! The unknown element is whether he would perform better in a proper Pearson team and under Pearson’s management, but I suspect that holds true for quite a few of our underperforming players, based on the last 12 months. He’s a non-scoring striker, is not a winger and isn’t a number 10 so it then becomes a bit difficult to see exactly what his role would be in a Pearson team.

This is one time we might regret Ashton’s departure, as if he was dealing with Palace we’d be guaranteed £25m minimum with add ons!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

See i always had Elliason pegged as this mercurial midfielder that we were forever harping on about. Had vision, could shoot, could cross etc. Think I dunno Pulisic but our version of and then he could stay. 

Issue is wing back or winger and im still not convinced that that was his best position. 

4231 as you stay would be delicious 

Eliasson, Massengo and Nagy/, with a Werner type (Weimann)  

Would actually work If we were to revert to First team only type things

Get DM sorted. Vyner / Williams possibly on current squad

And suddenly it doesn't look at all bad. 

Please tell me you’re writing that left to right (looking up the pitch)! ?

And if you’re not, why not? ???

On 11/05/2021 at 20:58, Davefevs said:

I think both clubs are in the right ball-park, he’s in that £3-5m range imho.  Few appearance based add-ons and a sell-on and I think you have to take it.

I think there are players out there that will suit Nige’s team system better.

Wise words as always Dave 

9 hours ago, Redstart said:

Think I'd be happy to get £3m-£4m for Semenyo, give Louis Britton a go at the striker role but look to bring in a decent winger then with the monies.  Think we dropped a bollock letting Elliason go as a provider. 

Eliasson and Semenyo pushed high and wide- albeit different type of wide players- left to right, in a 4-3-3...wonder if that could have worked if we still had the former?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Or is it just reality that if a prem club comes knocking there’s not a lot you can do about it.

Had it been a straight choice that Eliasson would sign a new contract if you sold Fam, I’d have been all over it like a rash.  But it wasn’t.  As it happens neither player wanted to sign a contract, we managed to get £2.25m for Eliasson and saved a year’s wages.  In Fam’s case we blew £800k in wages and any transfer fee we might’ve got.

In terms of Eliasson’s output (very good number of assists - understatement?), in terms of the influence of results when he played versus when he didn’t was no different.  He didn’t make the 19/20 side better nor worse.  From my point if view we played more one dimensional with him in the team that without…especially when he played RW, cutting in on his left.  Statistically he assisted more per game playing LW than he did RW….I’m not sure why he continually played RW?

Having said all that, I wouldn’t mind having him back. LW in a 4231….I quite fancy that.

Wide left, 4-3-3? Think a player like Eliasson- and we have had a few like that- may need that extra player- true CM- behind ie a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 to allow him to express himself with a little less risk, bit more leeway out of possession with the extra man in the centre.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Eliasson and Semenyo pushed high and wide- albeit different type of wide players- left to right, in a 4-3-3...wonder if that could have worked if we still had the former?

I don’t want them high and wide….I want them fluid, playing close to the striker at times, playing close to their respective full-back team-mate at others, filling the whole left by the channel-running striker, etc, etc.

I grew up playing 433 in junior football where the RW and LW played wide and were never closer than 30 yards from the CF. I don’t want to see that at City.  I think we already see that with whoever plays wide (bar Adelakun and Palmer), and it is so easy to stifle.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t want them high and wide….I want them fluid, playing close to the striker at times, playing close to their respective full-back team-mate at others, filling the whole left by the channel-running striker, etc, etc.

I grew up playing 433 in junior football where the RW and LW played wide and were never closer than 30 yards from the CF. I don’t want to see that at City.  I think we already see that with whoever plays wide (bar Adelakun and Palmer), and it is so easy to stifle.

I think the massive frustration for me is the lack of movement and fluidity. It is not just that players stick wide and it's not just - although it is a large part of it - the massive gaps between midfielders and wingers and between wingers and forwards. It's the fact that whoever is in possession always seems to only have a range of statues to pass to, which inevitably means possession gets lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the massive frustration for me is the lack of movement and fluidity. It is not just that players stick wide and it's not just - although it is a large part of it - the massive gaps between midfielders and wingers and between wingers and forwards. It's the fact that whoever is in possession always seems to only have a range of statues to pass to, which inevitably means possession gets lost.

Bang on, are movement is so bad, we go nowhere fast.

On 12/05/2021 at 18:36, Lrrr said:

You're bemused why we let go someone who had 12 months left on their contract, no intention of signing a new deal and as a club using a system which didn't involve wingers? Add being offered a couple of million at a time where the club had very limited income for months

Offcause he had No interest to sign a contract. He was not in Citys plan, We dont need No wingers and he was not good enough to be a startingplayer in Bristol City. He was not in LJ or DH plans. Offcause he want to play. He is happy in Nimes and score and assist for his team. 

On 12/05/2021 at 19:23, Davefevs said:

Other teams hold onto players with interest in their players. Brentford put a high valuation on their players and tend to keep them for 2 good seasons. Preston held onto a lot of their best players for years. There is a better balance to be had with selling players at Bristol City.

Selling Semenyo is very short sighted imo. He had a very good first full season at championship level. Factor in all the positions he played and the level of play around him, it makes it even more impressive. We have wages to offer. I’d offer him a new deal on much better terms similar to the contract we gave Brownhill. No guarantee he improves but selling for 3-5m now is not much different to our club as selling him for 2-3m next summer. There is value on the pitch we rarely take into account and Semenyo can offer that 3-5m next season and that may be the difference between relegation and midtable for example. 

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Other teams hold onto players with interest in their players. Brentford put a high valuation on their players and tend to keep them for 2 good seasons. Preston held onto a lot of their best players for years. There is a better balance to be had with selling players at Bristol City.

How many did they keep hold of under PL interest?  Or even relegated PL clubs (Sawyers to West Brom).  When a player can treble / quadruple their wages it’s not an easy task trying to keep them.  I can’t think of any Brentford / PNE players off the top of my head that stayed a season under genuine offer from a PL club.  I’m sure there are examples, but Maupay, Benrahma, Watkins, Konsa, Mepham all went.  Even Egan and Woods (Stoke PPs) couldn’t be persuaded to stay.  For PNE, Hugill, Robinson and…..Cunningham, plus we’ve seen Ben Pearson go to Bournemouth (PPs).

What we’ve seen with these two clubs is great recruitment / succession planning that makes the impact of being a selling club less revealing!  They still are at the mercy of PL clubs like us.

Selling Semenyo is very short sighted imo. He had a very good first full season at championship level. Factor in all the positions he played and the level of play around him, it makes it even more impressive. We have wages to offer. I’d offer him a new deal on much better terms similar to the contract we gave Brownhill. No guarantee he improves but selling for 3-5m now is not much different to our club as selling him for 2-3m next summer. There is value on the pitch we rarely take into account and Semenyo can offer that 3-5m next season and that may be the difference between relegation and midtable for example.

Without trying to come across rude, what you are doing is taking Semenyo in isolation.  No one is saying he’s crap (ok, the odd one on OTIB might).  You can offer him an improved contract, and Palace just come in and gazump it.  What is short-sighted imho is not being able to recruit 3/4 players this summer because we can’t afford to.  If selling Semenyo is the way to improve the squad with the likes of Bell, Conway, Britton and Pearson waiting in the wings, then I accept that.  I’d rather we didn’t have to, but that’s the reality of the situation.  What we must strive for in future is not letting the sale of one player hit us so hard.  At current levels, my personal view is that it isn’t the biggest loss, not like Brownhill.  But there is the likelihood of improvement this season and therefore that’s disappointing if he leaves.  But it is what it is.  Paying for past failures in recruitment I’m afraid.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brentford got 2 years from Watkins, 3 years from Sawyers, 2 years of Egan, Mepham batted off interest until January and 2-3 seasons each from Benrahma and Maupay. 

I think you are mint at what you do Dave. But you can’t constantly look at players as assets. Sometimes you need to look at what they bring to the pitch. The money being offered up may get 3-4 players but of what quality? We have a good player who achieved some pretty good things in his first proper season as a pro(time at Bath and half a season at Newport and Sunderland). Plenty of examples of what one player can bring a side. Pukki at Norwich, Toney at Brentford, Armstrong at Blackburn. Someone who can bring that bit of magic and Semenyo is about the only one contracted to us at the minute who can do that. There is no guarantee a nee signing can do that. I am all for generating funds but we do not need to lose our best asset every season. 

Of course I agree about better planning. Maybe NP does that. There is still a very real season in front of us that we need to get through first before that can come to fruition. Semenyo makes us better next season. Any money for him is a gamble. The thought of extending him on better terms is to buy an extra season or two while giving him some more financial security. We have some good young ones coming through but not sure I have seen enough from any of them that makes me think they can be difference makers over an entire championship season like Semenyo can. Of course he nowhere near Brownhill level importance based off last season but we are now 18 months on from Brownhill and in a much more dire situation. Semenyo would be a big loss in his own right. 

And to reiterate, I have a problem with selling him for under 5m. Everyone has a price. If the guarantees are over 5m I change my stance on this a bit. We have very few saleable assets at present so we need to try and hold on as much as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Brentford got 2 years from Watkins, 3 years from Sawyers, 2 years of Egan, Mepham batted off interest until January and 2-3 seasons each from Benrahma and Maupay.

the point I was making was how long did it take Brentford to “buckle” when a PL team came in….not how long were they at the club….that’s completely different.  They didn’t fight if PL interest for 2-3 seasons for Maupay did they?

I think you are mint at what you do Dave.  But you can’t constantly look at players as assets.

I don’t actually, but I feel I have to consider the financial side because we’ve pissed a huge proportion of £70-80m of transfers brought in up the wall.  Until we break that cycle, we can’t afford to keep players we’d ideally like to keep.  We spent £24m (plus wages, plus agent fees, etc) on players in the season we sold Webster (summer) and Brownhill (winter).  That’s why we are having this discussion.  We’ve just let £13m of players walk on free transfers.

when you have an owner that rules by financial compliance, it sets the tone for how we operate as a club.  I’d love nothing more than to have a bit of a gamble.  I wish we’d stop gambling on transfer due-diligence though.

Sometimes you need to look at what they bring to the pitch. The money being offered up may get 3-4 players but of what quality?

If I said that for Semenyo’s £5m, you could buy Eliasson back, get Alex Mowatt on decent wages for free and get Leo Ostigard from Brighton, would you think differently?  Because if you could attract them, you could do exactly that with those funds….probably have change too.

We have a good player who achieved some pretty good things in his first proper season as a pro(time at Bath and half a season at Newport and Sunderland). Plenty of examples of what one player can bring a side. Pukki at Norwich, Toney at Brentford, Armstrong at Blackburn. Someone who can bring that bit of magic and Semenyo is about the only one contracted to us at the minute who can do that.

that’s fine….I don’t think he offers what those have….he might in future.  I hope we get to see it.  But Palace can just bully us financially, and turn Antoine’s head if they like.  That’s the reality.

There is no guarantee a nee signing can do that. I am all for generating funds but we do not need to lose our best asset every season.

we do if we want to comply with FFP by wasting money recruiting players who aren’t good enough / don’t improve us, and pay over the odds wages.

Hopefully this summer is a bit of a cycle breaker….11 players gone, wage bill reduced, amortisation reduced.  

Of course I agree about better planning. Maybe NP does that. There is still a very real season in front of us that we need to get through first before that can come to fruition. Semenyo makes us better next season. Any money for him is a gamble. The thought of extending him on better terms is to buy an extra season or two while giving him some more financial security.

It all depends on how strongly Palace want him.  It might’ve been a “test the waters” approach, nothing more.

We have some good young ones coming through but not sure I have seen enough from any of them that makes me think they can be difference makers over an entire championship season like Semenyo can. Of course he nowhere near Brownhill level importance based off last season but we are now 18 months on from Brownhill and in a much more dire situation. Semenyo would be a big loss in his own right.

my issue is I can’t predict Semenyo’s upside.  It’s easy to say, he’s good at 21, he’ll be better at 22, 23.  But I’ve seen plenty of 20/21 year olds who can’t possibly fail to improve….but they don’t.  In some cases it’s because their opponents suss them out.  We’ve even seen that with Semenyo in the back third of the season.  Can he overcome that?  Some players don’t.  Is it because the team he was in were crap in that period?  So many variables.

And to reiterate, I have a problem with selling him for under 5m. Everyone has a price. If the guarantees are over 5m I change my stance on this a bit. We have very few saleable assets at present so we need to try and hold on as much as possible.

I haven’t really made a stance, I’ve reacted to Kids post and said I think valuation and bid are in the right ballpark.  If NP needs to generate funds to play on the transfer market, and Semenyo is the trading card, it is what it is.  I’d rather he stayed, hopefully gets better, and City do.  Nor am I suggesting we rollover and have our tummy tickled at £3m.  It appears from Kid we’ve said £5m (probably and some options too), so we haven’t just accepted it either.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think you are mint at what you do Dave. But you can’t constantly look at players as assets. Sometimes you need to look at what they bring to the pitch. The money being offered up may get 3-4 players but of what quality? We have a good player who achieved some pretty good things in his first proper season as a pro(time at Bath and half a season at Newport and Sunderland). Plenty of examples of what one player can bring a side. Pukki at Norwich, Toney at Brentford, Armstrong at Blackburn. Someone who can bring that bit of magic and Semenyo is about the only one contracted to us at the minute who can do that. There is no guarantee a nee signing can do that. I am all for generating funds but we do not need to lose our best asset every season. 

Of course I agree about better planning. Maybe NP does that. There is still a very real season in front of us that we need to get through first before that can come to fruition. Semenyo makes us better next season. Any money for him is a gamble. The thought of extending him on better terms is to buy an extra season or two while giving him some more financial security. We have some good young ones coming through but not sure I have seen enough from any of them that makes me think they can be difference makers over an entire championship season like Semenyo can. Of course he nowhere near Brownhill level importance based off last season but we are now 18 months on from Brownhill and in a much more dire situation. Semenyo would be a big loss in his own right. 

The biggest problem is not that the club want to sell but when a Prem club shows an interest in a player then it is nigh on impossible to keep that player and stop him downing tools if he doesn’t get his dream move . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I can remember Brentford batting away interest in Mepham and Watkins for sure. See if they do not go up what the situation is with Toney. I expect a 35-40m valuation(unless there is some sort of clause) and see if they buckle to less. My only point is we seem to have only fought once in these last 5 seasons to keep a key player and that was Brownhill. Think a few clubs have a bit more fight in that. Publicly stating we won’t stand in players way was a poor choice imo. 

We also have been starting far too in the red so maybe that is why. Today a great start bringing the wage bill down. Starting at an estimated 15m down compared to 25m will be a huge step in the right direction for example. We have to draw a line somewhere though. 

I guess my point is, we have gotten to this point by constantly selling our best. Now that it is bare, I can’t fathom letting more talent go. We can’t predict Semenyo’s development but he is being looked at by prem clubs. Recruitment could(hopefully does) make losing another one manageable. At the minute Semenyo is about the only one in the side that can pick up the ball and drive us forward. The only one with the bravery to get a shot away. The only one with true pace and power. I’d be holding on as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The biggest problem is not that the club want to sell but when a Prem club shows an interest in a player then it is nigh on impossible to keep that player and stop him downing tools if he doesn’t get his dream move . 

Everything is a gamble. Would be just as much a gamble to not sell as this may be the best valuation we ever get. My point is we have not fought enough to keep good players. Selling is inevitable. I know that but I’d like us to try and have a good season and follow it up with a better one. Possible I am arguing this at the wrong time ? just think weneed to add to the talent cupboard before selling any more out. Surely there is some wiggle room for fees this summer @Davefevs? Also, I’d be more into selling Bentley, Kalas and Janneh before Semenyo. Can only sell what you get offers for but I’d be more keen in that order. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can remember Brentford batting away interest in Mepham and Watkins for sure. See if they do not go up what the situation is with Toney. I expect a 35-40m valuation(unless there is some sort of clause) and see if they buckle to less.

They can play more hardball than us, because they recruit well, succession plan well, etc.  They achieved the playoffs last season giving a bit of a carrot this year too.

My only point is we seem to have only fought once in these last 5 seasons to keep a key player and that was Brownhill. Think a few clubs have a bit more fight in that. Publicly stating we won’t stand in players way was a poor choice imo.

In fairness LJ fought to keep at least one of a Bryan, Reid and Flint in Jan 2018, gambling on promotion.  It didn’t happen, so he had to sell.  That was the point we really started wasting money, and it’s come home to roost 3.5 years later.

We also have been starting far too in the red so maybe that is why. Today a great start bringing the wage bill down. Starting at an estimated 15m down compared to 25m will be a huge step in the right direction for example. We have to draw a line somewhere though.

It is indeed.  You can’t ignore the finances can you! ?

I guess my point is, we have gotten to this point by constantly selling our best. Now that it is bare, I can’t fathom letting more talent go.

I see your point Joe, however if the value of the squad was consistent with the cost of the squad it would be easy.  But it’s cost us 2 to 3 times as much to run this squad as it did the one 3 years ago.

So I turn it around and say we aren’t selling our best through lack of ambition, but inept recruitment and re-contracting.  You’d be happy to sell Semenyo if like selling Maupay, you had Watkins waiting to convert from RW to CF.  You’re looking at the effect, not the cause.

We can’t predict Semenyo’s development but he is being looked at by prem clubs.

Yes, very fair point.

Recruitment could(hopefully does) make losing another one manageable. At the minute Semenyo is about the only fit one in the side that can pick up the ball and drive us forward.

hopefully the likes of Weimann, Williams, O’Dowda, etc will be helping us do that.

The only one with the bravery to get a shot away.

a combo of bravery and poor decision making ???

The only one with true pace and power. I’d be holding on as long as possible.

let’s see who joins some of the injured players returning.

Everything is a gamble. Would be just as much a gamble to not sell as this may be the best valuation we ever get. My point is we have not fought enough to keep good players. Selling is inevitable.

….if you don’t progress as a club, don’t achieve, waste money!

I know that but I’d like us to try and have a good season and follow it up with a better one. Possible I am arguing this at the wrong time ? just think weneed to add to the talent cupboard before selling any more out. Surely there is some wiggle room for fees this summer @Davefevs?

probably some, but not a huge amount I’d guess.

Also, I’d be more into selling Bentley, Kalas and Janneh before Semenyo.

I’d like to keep Bentley and Kalas over Semenyo if I had a choice, but that’s me.

Can only sell what you get offers for but I’d be more keen in that order.

too true.  How much is Janneh gonna bring in, even if Norwich want him?

• Like 2

On 11/05/2021 at 20:31, Kid in the Riot said:

Palace interested apparently. Want him for £3m.

We want £5m.

Don't shoot the messenger ?

And, in anticipation of the "hahaha bite their hands off for £3m" posts, I don't necessarily disagree. However, word of caution: we all said the same regarding one Yannick Bolasie.

Hahaha wow. 

Palace could've had a bargain there....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

5 million would have been clueless by City. Surely they would have demanded more than that.

Tbf last season he scored two league goals in 45 odd appearances (appreciate many were from the bench, but still). The covid situation was still in the balance and well, look at our finances. Bearing in mind that would've been £5m profit. Still, it wouldn't look a great deal retrospectively! 

I'd say his value has dramatically increased in the past few months since he returned from injury. 

With a year + option left on his contract we are in a strong position. Don't need to sell unless the offer is big, and now it would have to be bloody big... pace, power, can assist and score with both feet. A rare commodity.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Looks the real deal now @JonDolman . Lovely attitude and personality too . We do need to get to the prem to keep these talents . That eternal catch 22 hey .  I am an old romantic and want to see us grow with the players . Players like Antoine justify going to games . It’s just so exciting to watch . We lost this as we know . Lost the plot as a club . Yet we have these young players , so exciting , thrilling , that cost us the academy . Makes the folly of signings like Palmer look just like that , folly. If we can add in hungry players such as @harry suggest , then for me I am happy . We were successful when we had hungry players with something to prove . I love the club direction right now . When the manager says he is fully integrated with the academy we have made huge progress . This is a strategy I am totally with .  I might be feeling too optimistic, but I can see something very very good building . 

I feel the same way; takes me back to the way we felt as AD brought the young ones in around 1970. After four seasons of fighting relegation, it was like a massive breath of fresh air.

Now with a manager who has been there and done it getting Leicester up to the Prem and some exciting Academy and young recruits with talent and a determination to succeed, I look forward again to every match because the desire is there again.

• Like 1