Jump to content
IGNORED

Another one leaves us for Ipswich


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

TWTD understands former Bristol City head of sports science Andy Costin is set to be appointed to a similar role at Town.

 
ADVERTISING
 

Costin left Ashton Gate last month having joined the Robins as head of sports science and analysis in March last year. Prior to that he spent seven months at Stevenage as head of sports science.

Born in Gawler, South Australia, Costin was teaching PE before taking his career in its current direction in his late 20s.

He gained a degree in Education and in Health Services at Flinders University, he studied for a post-graduate qualification in Educational Leadership and then a Master’s in High Performance Sport from the Australian Catholic University. Costin then went about looking for a position in English football.

“I got turned down by 35-40 clubs for an internship,” Costin said in an interview with The World Game. “I couldn’t get anyone to give me an internship for the 2018/19 season. Then into the 2019/20 season I couldn’t get anyone to give me a go either. Eventually Stevenage gave me a go and I managed to get an internship there.

“And then, after four weeks, I got made head of sports science. I’m a believer in life-long learning, coming from an education background, so I was always trying to better myself and better my learning. So that took me to Brentford just for a visit.

“And then my real break came, I went to Sparta Prague for a couple of days while I was working at Stevenage. I spent time with Ben Ashworth over there who was a physio at Arsenal for many years and now he’s the director of performance at Sparta Prague.

“It was basically that connection, so after Christmas I got a call from Andrew Rolls [then-head of performance at Bristol City, now director of performance at Town].

"He said, 'I’ve love to have a chat with you', and it kind of went from there. We met up for a coffee and he said, 'show me what you do', so I showed him everything and he was impressed. We just clicked and I started over at Bristol in March [2020].”

Costin, who we understand has already been at the club, joins Rolls at Portman Road with CEO Mark Ashton set to start his job on June 1st when Robins head of operations/club secretary Luke Werhun is also set to move to the Blues.

More good news! Keep shipping them out Nige! 🚕🚕

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet the Arsenal Physio was thinking “I know just the person who’ll employ this roaster”..........

You do wonder why the new Ipswich Owner hasn’t had a look at our “performance” this season before signing off all these performance based appointments!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I bet the Arsenal Physio was thinking “I know just the person who’ll employ this roaster”..........

You do wonder why the new Ipswich Owner hasn’t had a look at our “performance” this season before signing off all these performance based appointments!!

Probably like our owner someone is extolling the virtues of how great he is and hoodwinking him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It tells you something when all our suits, whatever ,are all heading downwards into league one . I could understand them joining a Prem club, or even moving sideways. Did they all jump before being pushed ?

A bit of a push I reckon

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Whilst on one hand, we're all yay, MA's team are going. We're at the same time basically expecting the same thing from NP and lauding it, even though we're 'eff off' to MA's team. 

Im sure there's a paradox or similar in there somewhere mind... 

Isn't that what you put in the bath water to ease aching joints ?

  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, soultrader said:

If you were a player at Ipswich, or the agent of a player there.  You would be bricking next season

 

The best part is a percentage of Ipswich fans believe this is sour grapes from city fans. Boy are they in for a shock!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

TWTD understands former Bristol City head of sports science Andy Costin is set to be appointed to a similar role at Town.

 
ADVERTISING
 

Costin left Ashton Gate last month having joined the Robins as head of sports science and analysis in March last year. Prior to that he spent seven months at Stevenage as head of sports science.

Born in Gawler, South Australia, Costin was teaching PE before taking his career in its current direction in his late 20s.

He gained a degree in Education and in Health Services at Flinders University, he studied for a post-graduate qualification in Educational Leadership and then a Master’s in High Performance Sport from the Australian Catholic University. Costin then went about looking for a position in English football.

“I got turned down by 35-40 clubs for an internship,” Costin said in an interview with The World Game. “I couldn’t get anyone to give me an internship for the 2018/19 season. Then into the 2019/20 season I couldn’t get anyone to give me a go either. Eventually Stevenage gave me a go and I managed to get an internship there.

“And then, after four weeks, I got made head of sports science. I’m a believer in life-long learning, coming from an education background, so I was always trying to better myself and better my learning. So that took me to Brentford just for a visit.

“And then my real break came, I went to Sparta Prague for a couple of days while I was working at Stevenage. I spent time with Ben Ashworth over there who was a physio at Arsenal for many years and now he’s the director of performance at Sparta Prague.

“It was basically that connection, so after Christmas I got a call from Andrew Rolls [then-head of performance at Bristol City, now director of performance at Town].

"He said, 'I’ve love to have a chat with you', and it kind of went from there. We met up for a coffee and he said, 'show me what you do', so I showed him everything and he was impressed. We just clicked and I started over at Bristol in March [2020].”

Costin, who we understand has already been at the club, joins Rolls at Portman Road with CEO Mark Ashton set to start his job on June 1st when Robins head of operations/club secretary Luke Werhun is also set to move to the Blues.

Ooo roo 👋

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Whilst on one hand, we're all yay, MA's team are going. We're at the same time basically expecting the same thing from NP and lauding it, even though we're 'eff off' to MA's team. 

Im sure there's a paradox or similar in there somewhere mind... 

I’m more annoyed that much of this will have been plotted on City’s time.  I totally get people follow other people from club to club, but that’s normally manager and his backroom staff.

This feels different, with a CEO taking people with him….whilst (allegedly) still working here.  Feels wrong….but hey-ho, he’s gone (going) and I’m happy about that.

As Slarti says (not the radox pun!) the fact they’ve had to go down a division gives me a wry smile.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

They could all go on a group ticket via MegaBus or National Express.....(other coach transportation companies are available...)

coach one is redundant,give it a run out to east anglia,plenty of seats still available for half the squad

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What did our Head of Sports Science actually do? Sit at his desk with a Bunsen Burner stuck up his arse?

He stole living of BCFC whilst being a part of the worst medical team ever employed here.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m more annoyed that much of this will have been plotted on City’s time.  I totally get people follow other people from club to club, but that’s normally manager and his backroom staff.

This feels different, with a CEO taking people with him….whilst (allegedly) still working here.  Feels wrong….but hey-ho, he’s gone (going) and I’m happy about that.

As Slarti says (not the radox pun!) the fact they’ve had to go down a division gives me a wry smile.

Exactly, can you imagine if they where any good at their jobs? We would be livid to say the least, I'm glad they are all gone but what a stunt pulled by MA and I bet Steve is feeling a little violated by all this..

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hmmmm

Head of Sports Science. Appointed March 2020. Ridiculous injuries here since.

He’s not looking like a huge loss. 

Yep ..... not exactly John Lennon leaving The Beatles is it...

 

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Whilst on one hand, we're all yay, MA's team are going. We're at the same time basically expecting the same thing from NP and lauding it, even though we're 'eff off' to MA's team. 

Im sure there's a paradox or similar in there somewhere mind... 

No matter what you think of Nigel Pearson, City over the last 2/3 years have got progressively worse with calamity on and off the pitch, overseen by Mark Ashton. 

You’re allowed to be full of ‘yays’ too, it doesn’t mean you like Nigel Pearson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dance Dancing GIF by Carnival Cruise Line

Think the whole things more to do with the fact that we've been so poor throughout the club recently, rather than "it's so and so's fault and all his mates".

Mind you the latter also does seem to apply as well, but it is nice to see a real shakeup. Just need to get the people in place to take over - and quickly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andy Costin’s CV.... Just WOW. How on earth was he even allowed in the door?? Agh that’s right Rolls & Ashton were the bouncers.

This story paints an awful picture of how we have ended up where we are & makes it clearer than ever before just how incompetent Ashton was - to the point where some might conclude that our club was corrupt & negligent in some quarters.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm not on the it was all down to Ashton blame train. and Im sure this has anything to do with liking or disliking anyone. Celebrate a load of departures because of MA  but celebrating NP appointments should it go the same way seems odd. Naff all to do with liking anyone involved.. 

The main difference being that the people NP has been targeting are proven successes. 
McKenzie, Shakespeare, Walsh, Rennie etc may all be from the ‘old pals club’, that’s football, but they’ve at least got CV’s that say they were successful in their roles. 
Ashton and his cronies are littered with incompetence. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Daniro said:

Don't know whether to be delighted that Ashton is taking his useless recruits with him or outraged that he's been allowed to. 

Just reading that bio of Costin, that he did 7 months at Stevenage then came here, makes me quite angry that Ashton was given cart blanche to bring in people with such little track record. What on earth were the powers that be thinking. 

Look at Rolls, left carnage behind apparently at Arsenal and West Ham.

Werhun? I know nothing about this fella but would not be at all surprised of his CV is far from what City should have been recruiting to get us promoted.

Ashton? The mere fact he recruited them tells you all you need to know about him.

I feel genuinely sorry for Ipswich. That said, they do say plenty of practice and you reach your goals. 

But just why was Ashton allowed to use City as a guinea pig club? There is no retort from the board to say 'power of hindsight and all that' . They had the cv's. 

How many of us would have recruited that litany of disasters? 1-2% of us? 

10 hours ago, Fiale said:

Our head of sports science only had seven months experience at Stevenage before joining us ?  Is that common for multi million pound set ups ?

Well, precisely.

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I bet the Arsenal Physio was thinking “I know just the person who’ll employ this roaster”..........

You do wonder why the new Ipswich Owner hasn’t had a look at our “performance” this season before signing off all these performance based appointments!!

Ssshhhhhh.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m more annoyed that much of this will have been plotted on City’s time.

Some have said he is not coming into work. I would certainly hope not.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

The main difference being that the people NP has been targeting are proven successes. 
McKenzie, Shakespeare, Walsh, Rennie etc may all be from the ‘old pals club’, that’s football, but they’ve at least got CV’s that say they were successful in their roles. 
Ashton and his cronies are littered with incompetence. 

Do we actually know he has been targeting said persons though Harry? 

Whoever he targets though will indeed be experienced and winners.

We all of us disliked Ashton years ago to be fair to us fans. We called him out. Is there a City fan on the board? I am guessing no longer! Damn well needs one and with some teeth.

Ashton, Werhun, Rolls, Costin.

 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Is there a City fan on the board? I am guessing no longer! Damn well needs one and with some teeth.

 

The chairman. I assume the the owner would also class himself as a fan these days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Just reading that bio of Costin, that he did 7 months at Stevenage then came here, makes me quite angry that Ashton was given cart blanche to bring in people with such little track record. What on earth were the powers that be thinking. 

But just why was Ashton allowed to use City as a guinea pig club? There is no retort from the board to say 'power of hindsight and all that' . 

 

I’m led to believe, that despite maybe making the final say on a lot of things, Ashton pulled the wool over Lansdowns eyes on various issues/things at the club

 Not helped by Lansdowns covid enforced time away from the club 

as said numerous times now this club is well rid 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

The chairman. I assume the the owner would also class himself as a fan these days. 

Is there a City fan on the Board, yeh the chairman, son of the owner!
FFS, where is the independent guy to ask if the management are fit for purpose?

Its been a cozy closed shop for years - and here are the results. All now unraveling to expose the mess. Any biz I have worked for would have never allowed this to happen.

Edited by GasDestroyer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I’m led to believe, that despite maybe making the final say on a lot of things, Ashton pulled the wool over Lansdowns eyes on various issues/things at the club

 Not helped by Lansdowns covid enforced time away from the club 

as said numerous times now this club is well rid 

Extraordinary if true.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

The chairman. I assume the the owner would also class himself as a fan these days. 

Arrghh yes, so not such a good idea having a fan on the board then. 🤭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...