IGNORED

On this day in 2008. Possibly the greatest night at Ashton Gate, ever.

kmpowell

Sorry ,it was a good night .But doesn’t compare to 20th April 1976,that those of us of a certain age will remember well. Whitehead’s goal that took us up to the promised land and the elation of over 27k cramming the terraces,lives long in the memory.

What a night.

19 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Sorry ,it was a good night .But doesn’t compare to 20th April 1976,that those of us of a certain age will remember well. Whitehead’s goal that took us up to the promised land and the elation of over 27k cramming the terraces,lives long in the memory.

What a night.

Absolutely right. The only I ever that I’ve ever been on the pitch at AG. If/when City reach the PL I’ll do it again.

It’s quite sobering to think that just about all City supporters under the age of 45 have never seen us in the top flight.Considering some of the clubs that have been up and down over those years that is a pretty sad indictment of the poverty of our club since 1980.

I missed the Hartlepool game as it was the night before my last day at school, so we had a big house party. I remember seeing the score whilst we were losing and thinking it was over, obviously this was before the time many of us had smart phones so I didn't know we'd won until the next day.

So for me, this was the biggest (United game pushes it very close). I remember speaking to someone in the toilets at the end of the 90 and I said dont worry, Trundle's gonna get us a goal and send us to Wembley.

Get goosebumps watching that back, unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, Redpool said:

For 1 season 

Was he bollocks.

Ever present in 2010/11 with 8 goals, no penalties or free kicks, can’t remember the last central midfielder to do that for us in The Championship. Excellent the season before that, too.

He was a very good servant over quite a number of years until hampered by injury.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was he bollocks.

Ever present in 2010/11 with 8 goals, no penalties or free kicks, can’t remember the last central midfielder to do that for us in The Championship. Excellent the season before that, too.

He was a very good servant over quite a number of years until hampered by injury.

It was echoed by many before he was decent for 1 season. Even Millwall fans warned he had 1 good season with them and dropped off. Our midfield was not great following the play-off campaign. The only real decent midfielder we had was Paul Hartley. What I'd give to have a midfielder of his quality in the squad right now. 

1 hour ago, Redtrojan said:

What a night.

Hmmm, Pompey was great,BUT we knew it was coming........the other two games were shit or bust ! I still can't make up my mind which was the most emotional, atmospheric night, CP or HU .

I have a photo somewhere that I took in the last 5 mins where everyone was stood at the side of the pitch getting ready for the full time pitch invasion, was such a good atmosphere that night, that and the Hartlepool game are my favourite memories of AG. Quality goals by both Trundle and McIndoe but overall it was a real team effort that season.

1 hour ago, Redtrojan said:

What a night.

Doesn’t compare at all?  Wow

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

I have a photo somewhere that I took in the last 5 mins where everyone was stood at the side of the pitch getting ready for the full time pitch invasion, was such a good atmosphere that night, that and the Hartlepool game are my favourite memories of AG. Quality goals by both Trundle and McIndoe but overall it was a real team effort that season.

Didn’t Warnock claim he took a little slap that night?

To his credit I don’t think he actually made much of it

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I was right behind the McIndoe free kick in the EE. The wave of arms of pure jubilation in the Atyeo stand when it went in was a brilliant sight.

Wonderful night!

I think I actually recorded it on my phone at the time but stopped the recording when the ball went in so missed the limbs!

As I much as I enjoyed that season, it was such a golden opportunity lost.

How the fates contrived against us for the play off final against a team we were comfortably better than, still sticks in my craw.

the 13 years since have done nothing to ease it.

42 minutes ago, 054123 said:

As I much as I enjoyed that season, it was such a golden opportunity lost.

How the fates contrived against us for the play off final against a team we were comfortably better than, still sticks in my craw.

the 13 years since have done nothing to ease it.

That entire season was special, just riding a wave from start to finish, whenever we lost, it was just onto the next one. 

As fans you can't ask for more than the players gave that season and there was a connection because of it. (not just effort, not just winning, but magic + memories) 

But we just fell short over 46 games and just fell short in the play offs. 

I really went to Wembley 100% convinced we were winning, just as I saw frazer Campbell get pulled wide and thought danger had passed. 

Ps. Wow we scored some great goals over the 2 legs

Archived