IGNORED

11 Gone

Dolman_Stand

Losing Walsh is the one that really irks me. Seems there's some disagreement about it on here, but I felt he looked really promising and could comfortably do a job for us in the championship.

More frustrating is the poor planning is shows. Signed a young player for a million or so - invested years of time, money and effort in developing him - get next to no value out of him on the pitch - lose him for free once he's up to championship standard.

1 minute ago, WirralRobin said:

Disappointing. I really don't get the logic re-Walsh

In NP we trust though.....

Very disappointing, but as you say we have to get behind NP and his decisions - although I doubt this outcome was what he wanted.

Very interested to see how Walsh gets on at his next club, especially when playing against us next season. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do people still think we only need 5 or 6 new players through the door then????

I said 8 minimum weeks ago and I'm sticking with that.

Pearson said he likes working with a reduced squad, 5/6 added to the 18 listed below would leave you with a 23/24 man squad before any of the younger players may be sticking around the first team squad like Scott, Conway, Pearson etc, any departures from the list of 18 would obviously mean an incoming but I don't think 5 or 6 is an unrealistic number atm as Pearson said it wouldn't be a 1 summer fix. 

Edit - And that's before Weimann and Simpson added as well so 25/26 man squad with them.

1. Dan Bentley
  2. Robbie Cundy
  3. Tomas Kalas
  4. Chris Martin
  5. Taylor Moore
  6. Ádám Nagy
  7. Callum O’Dowda
  8. Max O’Leary
  9. Kasey Palmer
  10. Zak Vyner
  11. Nahki Wells
  12. Joe Williams
  13. Jojo Wollacott
  14. Tyreeq Bakinson
  15. Jay Dasilva
  16. Han-Noah Massengo
  17. Cameron Pring
  18. Antoine Semenyo

Other Players Under-24
Khari Allen
Sam Bell
Ayman Benarous
Louis Britton
William Buse
Tommy Conway
Owura Edwards
Marlee Francois
Prince Henry
Saikou Janneh
Joe Low
James Morton
George Nurse
Josh Owers
Sam Pearson
Joe Porton
Alex Scott
Barney Soady
James Taylor
Ryley Towler
Harvey Wiles-Richards
Nathaniel Williams
Callum Wood

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Everyone getting hung up on Walsh cos he had one good season in League 1. He’s done nothing in this league yet.

It was clear he didn’t wanna be here after he liked City’s Instagram post of the 3-1 defeat to Brentford.

See ya.

Exactly. I think he'd made his mind up he didn't want to be here after his loan. Won't be surprised if he goes back to Coventry. If that happens there would also be a question about how real the injury really was. 

20 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Disappointing. I really don't get the logic re-Walsh

In NP we trust though.....

Maybe he wasn’t interested in resigning for us and wanted to move on. Just because he had been ‘released’ doesn’t tell us everything!! We might of offered him terms.

4 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Everyone getting hung up on Walsh cos he had one good season in League 1. He’s done nothing in this league yet.

It was clear he didn’t wanna be here after he liked City’s Instagram post of the 3-1 defeat to Brentford.

See ya.

No doubt we will next season - let's hope he proves as ineffectual against City as you seem to believe he will.

Wonder if walsh was the player being referred to on the night out bragging he got a 20k a week contract elsewhere? Might make sense if he’s been released. The only one out of the players mentioned with him that may be offered a contract like that

Just now, Lrrr said:

Pearson said he likes working with a reduced squad, 5/6 added to the 18 listed below would leave you with a 23/24 man squad before any of the younger players may be sticking around the first team squad like Scott, Conway, Pearson etc, any departures from the list of 18 would obviously mean an incoming but I don't think 5 or 6 is an unrealistic number atm as Pearson said it wouldn't be a 1 summer fix.

1. Dan Bentley
  2. Robbie Cundy
  3. Tomas Kalas
  4. Chris Martin
  5. Taylor Moore
  6. Ádám Nagy
  7. Callum O’Dowda
  8. Max O’Leary
  9. Kasey Palmer
  10. Zak Vyner
  11. Nahki Wells
  12. Joe Williams
  13. Jojo Wollacott
  14. Tyreeq Bakinson
  15. Jay Dasilva
  16. Han-Noah Massengo
  17. Cameron Pring
  18. Antoine Semenyo

Other Players Under-24
Khari Allen
Sam Bell
Ayman Benarous
Louis Britton
William Buse
Tommy Conway
Owura Edwards
Marlee Francois
Prince Henry
Saikou Janneh
Joe Low
James Morton
George Nurse
Josh Owers
Sam Pearson
Joe Porton
Alex Scott
Barney Soady
James Taylor
Ryley Towler
Harvey Wiles-Richards
Nathaniel Williams
Callum Wood

That's assuming all of those 18 stay, which they won't. I would expect one or two of those youngsters to be around the first team squad, the rest will go on loan.

I took what Nige said about there not being major changes this summer with a pinch of salt at the time. It is clear as day that major changes are needed.

This summer will be more revolution than evolution. It has to be after the past few years.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very disappointing, but as you say we have to get behind NP and his decisions - although I doubt this outcome was what he wanted.

Very interested to see how Walsh gets on at his next club, especially when playing against us next season. 

I had high hopes for Walsh but it has been evident for a couple of seasons now our midfield has been very weak and easily pushed aside. Walsh would certainly come into this category as did Massengo but he had bulked up and become a different player. We really need players who can boss the midfield and be much more threatening to the opposition. We have the youngsters coming through, on a lesser salary who can become as good as Walsh. Sad but makes sense. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

That's assuming all of those 18 stay, which they won't. I would expect one or two of those youngsters to be around the first team squad, the rest will go on loan.

I took what Nige said about there not being major changes this summer with a pinch of salt at the time. It is clear as day that major changes are needed.

This summer will be more revolution than evolution. It has to be after the past few years.

I did say if there was a reduction in that list of 18 it would mean an additional incoming, point being I think Nigel wants to  be around the 25 mark plus youngsters brought in. Only interesting part for me is will youngsters be loaned out or kept with the 23's should Nigel want them... 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Do people still think we only need 5 or 6 new players through the door then????

I said 8 minimum weeks ago and I'm sticking with that.

Very possible, maybe 5/6 in the summer then 2/3 in the Winter, or possibly those additional few 7 or 8 games into the season? Think we are going to see way more players than usual unemployed come the first kick of the season so can see there being plenty of free agents to sign after the start.

Funny isn’t it? I’m disappointed to see Walsh go - I suppose I look back fondly to the last league one player of the season we bought that I remember; one Michael Bell. 

Still if I’d been put in the position to start next season with either Walsh and Pato or neither, I’d definitely have taken neither. 

Suppose we’ve got to trust in Nige. 

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Same, not fully sure why Walsh has been labelled the next big thing by some on here.

Done nothing apart from being injured in 3 and a half years at the club, had 1 decent loan spell in League 1 & people act like he is gonna be huge. Highly doubt he was any better than Luke Freeman in League 1 & i remember a lot of people being delighted when we shifted him on to QPR

In defence of us Walsh supporters, we all like to watch good exciting football and I just think lot's of us saw him as a top technical player who would could have improved the dire excuse for football we've seen for the past couple of seasons when fit.

Only twelve months ago he was widely seen as one of the best midfielders in league one and is still only 23 so we see a player that can still vastly improve going forward too.

Put simply any player that can score goals like his against Rochdale last year (below, 1) or can pick a pass/loves a tackle like he can would be a player I'd rather have in and around the squad and on his day can be worth the price of the ticket on his own. (As a fan I look at our current squad and there are very few, if any, you get a feeling will be able to create something out of nothing or make something happen when they get on the ball. For a lot of us, we looked at Walsh as someone that, when fit, could have done that and added some excitement to our play.) 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I did say if there was a reduction in that list of 18 it would mean an additional incoming, point being I think Nigel wants to  be around the 25 mark plus youngsters brought in. Only interesting part for me is will youngsters be loaned out or kept with the 23's should Nigel want them... 

I reckon 2 or 3 will be kept around the first team squad.

If I had to guess, I'd say Conway, Scott and possibly Britton.

Just now, Superjack said:

I reckon 2 or 3 will be kept around the first team squad.

If I had to guess, I'd say Conway, Scott and possibly Britton.

I'm inclined to think Pearson, was used a fair amount and the wing is a place we're currently depleted in, sign a couple of first choice wingers and allow Pearson to be used in rotation/back up, can be sent on loan in Jan if heading to a league club or any time for national league.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Exactly. I think he'd made his mind up he didn't want to be here after his loan. Won't be surprised if he goes back to Coventry. If that happens there would also be a question about how real the injury really was. 

Very likely I would say, especially as it is now fairly common knowledge about why one employee was released before the end of the season following issues about whether a (now released) player was actually injured

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I'm inclined to think Pearson, was used a fair amount and the wing is a place we're currently depleted in, sign a couple of first choice wingers and allow Pearson to be used in rotation/back up, can be sent on loan in Jan if heading to a league club or any time for national league.

Yeah, you could be right. 

The Post seem to think that we aren't in the market for a striker, which is what makes me think that Conway and Britton may be kept around. And Scott looks the real deal.

6 minutes ago, extonsred said:

I had high hopes for Walsh but it has been evident for a couple of seasons now our midfield has been very weak and easily pushed aside. Walsh would certainly come into this category as did Massengo but he had bulked up and become a different player. We really need players who can boss the midfield and be much more threatening to the opposition. We have the youngsters coming through, on a lesser salary who can become as good as Walsh. Sad but makes sense. 

Agree. All the signs are that NP wants more grit and strength. We are thinning out the over reliance on small technical players. Walsh and Paterson are good examples.

Rarely has as much praise been heaped on a player who played 18 games for us over 3 seasons, as Liam Walsh. 

Along from other criteria, Pearson seems to be releasing players who have a history of long-lasting injuries. Walsh falls into this category.

I agree with those who say Walsh would've beefed up our midfield presence had he been available all season. But he wasn't. And that is the point.

We are now in the market for a midfield enforcer who can stop attacks going down the centre as well as move the ball up the field for us.

Archived