IGNORED

11 Gone

Dolman_Stand

Think many are being a bit harsh on Walsh IMO. Yes, it was "only league 1", but he was 22 and in that season I believe he:

- Was a key part of a team who won the league 
- Won young player of the seeason for Coventry
- Won goal of the season for Coventry
- Was in the WhoScored League 1 Team of the Season (so was statistically 1 of the 2 best CM's in the league that season).
- Generally displayed very good technical ability and range of passing

Not really sure what more he could have done to prove that he was ready for Championship football.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Rarely has as much praise been heaped on a player who played 18 games for us over 3 seasons, as Liam Walsh. 

Along from other criteria, Pearson seems to be releasing players who have a history of long-lasting injuries. Walsh falls into this category.

I agree with those who say Walsh would've beefed up our midfield presence had he been available all season. But he wasn't. And that is the point.

We are now in the market for a midfield enforcer who can stop attacks going down the centre as well as move the ball up the field for us.

Busy bees buzz off.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Rarely has as much praise been heaped on a player who played 18 games for us over 3 seasons, as Liam Walsh. 

Along from other criteria, Pearson seems to be releasing players who have a history of long-lasting injuries. Walsh falls into this category.

I agree with those who say Walsh would've beefed up our midfield presence had he been available all season. But he wasn't. And that is the point.

We are now in the market for a midfield enforcer who can stop attacks going down the centre as well as move the ball up the field for us.

Or Williams might actually get fit and fill that hole.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Funny isn’t it? I’m disappointed to see Walsh go - I suppose I look back fondly to the last league one player of the season we bought that I remember; one Michael Bell. 

Still if I’d been put in the position to start next season with either Walsh and Pato or neither, I’d definitely have taken neither. 

Suppose we’ve got to trust in Nige. 

He wasn’t League One player of the season, that was Ivan Toney.

He was Coventry’s player of the season.

Disappointed to lose Walsh, personally, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that bite us on the arse. But whatever anyone's opinions on him, that's about £10m in transfer fees (Fam, Walsh, Baker, Watkins, Pato) that we've seen no ROI on. 

Even before this season ended, I thought we need 12/13 new players this summer and we need someone senior in place to be leading those discussions. 

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Yeah, you could be right. 

The Post seem to think that we aren't in the market for a striker, which is what makes me think that Conway and Britton may be kept around. And Scott looks the real deal.

Weimann, Wells, Martin, Semenyo - Unless one leaves then you're already got a good quota of forwards before you look at the u23's forwards. If one leaves then our position could change but there are more urgent areas of concern to address in the squad.

Don't get why so many are being so dismissive of Walsh tbh - can you imagine if he'd had the season he did with Coventry, as a Coventry player, and we signed him off the back of that? People would be buzzing off it. He was basically 2nd best player in the league for everything, just below Toney...

1 minute ago, AshtonYate said:

Am I the only one sad to see Pato leave?  He obviously loves the club and a real game changer.  I know he can blow hot and cold, but a great squad player. 

Would have been the one I might have kept but pretty sure he has a deal elsewhere already.

7 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

In defence of us Walsh supporters, we all like to watch good exciting football and I just think lot's of us saw him as a top technical player who would could have improved the dire excuse for football we've seen for the past couple of seasons when fit.

Only twelve months ago he was widely seen as one of the best midfielders in league one and is still only 23 so we see a player that can still vastly improve going forward too.

Put simply any player that can score goals like his against Rochdale last year (below, 1) or can pick a pass/loves a tackle like he can would be a player I'd rather have in and around the squad and on his day can be worth the price of the ticket on his own. (As a fan I look at our current squad and there are very few, if any, you get a feeling will be able to create something out of nothing or make something happen when they get on the ball. For a lot of us, we looked at Walsh as someone that, when fit, could have done that and added some excitement to our play.) 

I fully get that and it’s fair points, he was good in the league below, & may very well go on to have a great career.

But for me, i just can’t get behind all the hype heaped upon, what appears to be a very injury prone player, without ever having done much in a City shirt.

I would have been happy had we signed him to a new one-year deal with an option, but the fact he has gone doesnt disappoint me much either.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Weimann, Wells, Martin, Semenyo - Unless one leaves then you're already got a good quota of forwards before you look at the u23's forwards. If one leaves then our position could change but there are more urgent areas of concern to address in the squad.

Trouble is, two of those don't score.

Just now, petehinton said:

Don't get why so many are being so dismissive of Walsh tbh - can you imagine if he'd had the season he did with Coventry, as a Coventry player, and we signed him off the back of that? People would be buzzing off it. He was basically 2nd best player in the league for everything, just below Toney...

If he was available 3 times in the season after then yes, get rid.

I think it’s a relief. Like lancing a boil!!!

As Nige has said... those that are not on board can leave. Walsh was clearly not on board or he would’ve signed. Players come and players go. What we need are players committed to playing for the shirt.

Roll on the Pearson rebuild. It’s going to be an exciting summer.

So the clearout begins, good to see some ruthlessness, this is no time for sentiment, ship out and move on. Only one for me on that list that is disappointing is Baker, but hey ho. Struggling to understand the love in for Walsh.

Stage 1 complete, now stage 2.......this isn't going to be dull! #OTIB #COYR

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Think many are being a bit harsh on Walsh IMO. Yes, it was "only league 1", but he was 22 and in that season I believe he:

- Was a key part of a team who won the league 
- Won young player of the seeason for Coventry
- Won goal of the season for Coventry
- Was in the WhoScored League 1 Team of the Season (so was statistically 1 of the 2 best CM's in the league that season).
- Generally displayed very good technical ability and range of passing

Not really sure what more he could have done to prove that he was ready for Championship football.

Prove to NP that he wanted to be here and show enough on the the training pitch that he was worth keeping, 

3 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Am I the only one sad to see Pato leave?  He obviously loves the club and a real game changer.  I know he can blow hot and cold, but a great squad player. 

Yup me too. Seemed to have sorted his consistency issues out after coming back from that loan. Tbf he would have probably lost that after the injury, as seems to happen to a lot of players. 

3 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Nope. Me too. He's put in a shift over the years.

On a good day he can be an absolute match-winner, but consistency has let him down. When he has a bad game, he's almost invisible. 

The Walsh release, while not surprising, is certainly interesting. There is disappointment that we won't get to see Walsh/Williams operating together in midfield as the boy clearly has talent, but unless he or Pearson speaks we don't truly know the reasoning behind his release. Did he just want to go? Was he not prepared to knuckle down and play in the manner Pearson wants? Is he injury situation worse than we might think? Que Sera, we move on. 

Regarding whether NP will keep any of the kids around, that will I believe largely depend on incomings. Scott for instance is only 17 going on 18 and could do with a mentor to further his development. If we can bring in an experienced midfielder to play that role good, but otherwise he might need to find that out on loan. 

5 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Fair enough ?

I'm guessing I'm also on my own in feeling that HNM is a waste of a wage.  Doesn't score, doesn't assist, just looks busy doing, well, nothing. 

This quote is not going to age well believe me.

Archived