IGNORED

11 Gone

Dolman_Stand

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don't get why so many are being so dismissive of Walsh tbh - can you imagine if he'd had the season he did with Coventry, as a Coventry player, and we signed him off the back of that? People would be buzzing off it. He was basically 2nd best player in the league for everything, just below Toney...

Fully agree with you, if he gets fit again he had all the attributes to be a top championship plater. 

I have horrible feeling he will go to Ipswich, star for them and they will sell for £5m plus.

I would have liked to have seen Walsh retained, but he has hardly featured for us and gave his best performances away from Ashton Gate in League 1 with Coventry. 

We won't be the only club releasing players that could do a decent job elsewhere remember and we now have a proven manager in place which hopefully help persuade better quality players that we are serious about our ambition as a club.

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don't get why so many are being so dismissive of Walsh tbh - can you imagine if he'd had the season he did with Coventry, as a Coventry player, and we signed him off the back of that? People would be buzzing off it. He was basically 2nd best player in the league for everything, just below Toney...

Its not dismissive its just a realisation that if he was ever interested in staying the deal would have been agreed a while ago, was never going to sign post Christmas. I am sure he will be a success at another club but not much we can do about it... 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

anyone know if Surrey CC were well ran? Asking for a friend....

By cricket standards they are big, good at maximising income.

Just don’t let him get involved in the design of a badge..

Surprised that both Lansbury and Paterson were released, disappointed about Hunt (when Simpson will start getting injuries, you'll regret not having rocky Jack ? ) and in a different way for Walsh and Baker too (shame to let them go, but I imagine/understand the reasons behind the choice); finally, I really hope that Andi will stay.

For the rest...I guess that Mariappa leaving should mean Vyner CB and maybe not confirming Lansbury could mean keeping Nagy.

Now the real question is...who will replace all these players? Mainly players who already have experience in L1/Championship mixed with PL loans...or with the financial problems due to Covid we'll rely more on youngsters & former Academy products (O'Leary, Pring, Janneh, etc.)?

13 minutes ago, tin said:

Disappointed to lose Walsh, personally, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that bite us on the arse. But whatever anyone's opinions on him, that's about £10m in transfer fees (Fam, Walsh, Baker, Watkins, Pato) that we've seen no ROI on. 

Even before this season ended, I thought we need 12/13 new players this summer and we need someone senior in place to be leading those discussions. 

Bit harsh, we may not have got a transfer fee but 150 appearances from Fam and 50 odd goals, 140 from Pato with some big goals (and he was only a million quid) is a return. 
Baker had some very good spells but ultimately injured far too much. Watkins was always seen a a a squad player and a gamble at 1m. Walsh is probably the most disappointing 

10 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

So the clearout begins, good to see some ruthlessness, this is no time for sentiment, ship out and move on. Only one for me on that list that is disappointing is Baker, but hey ho. Struggling to understand the love in for Walsh.

Stage 1 complete, now stage 2.......this isn't going to be dull! #OTIB #COYR

But he’s had a year out with injury since then so we had to be cautious about what we were offering.  So many players are never the same after such a long lay off. 

16 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Fair enough ?

I'm guessing I'm also on my own in feeling that HNM is a waste of a wage.  Doesn't score, doesn't assist, just looks busy doing, well, nothing. 

Not at all on your own!  Paterson always struck me as a player who wanted to play for us and while he blew hot and cold at times, I never felt we weren’t getting our money’s worth from him.  His contribution during the Johnson era was significant and when I was watching the Man Utd match recently for the millionth time I remembered just how much he could contribute to games (and score some excellent goals as well).  I hope he gets picked up by someone and does well elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

more news coming at 11am apparently

Robbored has been transferred to the gas as full time 1st team bus driver.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If it is Weimann and Simpson (Walsh offered too) then I will get where NP is focussing his summer…..so hoping this is the case.

A few have replied already….but I wonder whether NP has contacts in different markets, e.g. Belgium.

The next Romelu Lukaku would be nice!

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It must just be a failed negotiation. At least we have the likes of Massengo and Scott.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

anyone know if Surrey CC were well ran? Asking for a friend....

Good to see we're bringing a football expert in then...

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No real surprises on released list - fairly predictable I guess.

Of all the released players, Baker is the one I’m most delighted to see go. 

Roll on the summer window!

Pleased that Weimann is staying.

I am surprised that none of Pato, Walsh or Baker were kept - I thought at least one of them would be staying.

Not terribly upset tbh but I AM surprised.

Walsh’s departure is disappointing because of his potential, but in other ways I’m far from sorry to see him go.  I think he came back from Coventry with little or no intention of playing for us.  I suspect his first injury had something of a sham about it, and that he’s been frozen out by Pearson because of his attitude.  I suspect he is a nasty, ego-tripping little munchkin who has the potential to be a good footballer but probably thinks that the world owes him a living.  I may be wrong of course...

Archived