IGNORED

11 Gone

Dolman_Stand

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder how many of the released players would have been retained if the kids we used last season hadn't equipped themselves so well.

None.  they aren't what's needed going forward and they would expect to be well paid for being sub-standard.  I wonder how they'l do getting new deals?  I suspect it will be a matte of them dropping their financial expectations.

51 minutes ago, M.D said:

Not unhappy to see any of that lot go,

Interesting that it states with Weimann that contract negotiations are ongoing which would sugest thats its not a contract extention but reduced terms?

Yep.  We will not be wanting to pay him £22k a week for a year.  I would think (hope) we're looking at a longer deal on lower terms.  The club has had little to no income for 15 months whilst paying £30 million plus pa in wages.  An adjustment is necessary.  If he doesn't accept and can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck.

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

None.  they aren't what's needed going forward and they would expect to be well paid for being sub-standard.  I wonder how they'l do getting new deals?  I suspect it will be a matte of them dropping their financial expectations.

It is a good point.

I think come September there will be a lot of players on far less money than previously and playing at a lower level.

And that does not include the ones who simply will not find a club.

From our level downwards there are massive financial issues that will not be resolved for some time.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yep.  We will not be wanting to pay him £22k a week for a year.  I would think (hope) we're looking at a longer deal on lower terms.  The club has had little to no income for 15 months whilst paying £30 million plus pa in wages.  An adjustment is necessary.  If he doesn't accept and can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck.

I am not a huge fan and even less of one at £22k per week.

If we can sign him on a 12 month deal at half that alleged wage then maybe, otherwise not interested 

Just now, ScottishRed said:

I am not a huge fan and even less of one at £22k per week.

If we can sign him on a 12 month deal at half that alleged wage then maybe, otherwise not interested 

You should give Nigel a bell and let him know.

Don't want him to make a terrible mistake.

Well that article in Football Insider was numerically accurate then. 11 out!

Bit surprised about Simpson given the age thing, how dynamic can a side be with a 34 year old at right back?

In terms of the outs, I know he's been out for much of the season but all the same a bit surprised about Walsh. He was (IIRC) Coventry's player of the Season in 2019/20, albeit in League One but promoted all the same! He has room for growth too given his age...our loss (fitness permitting) might well be someone's gain.

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder how many of the released players would have been retained if the kids we used last season hadn't equipped themselves so well.

Have they really equipped themselves so well? They've been okay but nothing special. Can't see many starting next season for us for example.

3 hours ago, extonsred said:

I had high hopes for Walsh but it has been evident for a couple of seasons now our midfield has been very weak and easily pushed aside. Walsh would certainly come into this category as did Massengo but he had bulked up and become a different player. We really need players who can boss the midfield and be much more threatening to the opposition. We have the youngsters coming through, on a lesser salary who can become as good as Walsh. Sad but makes sense. 

I think the thinking is that Joe Williams will do that. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well that article in Football Insider was numerically accurate then. 11 out!

Bit surprised about Simpson given the age thing, how dynamic can a side be with a 34 year old at right back?

In terms of the outs, I know he's been out for much of the season but all the same a bit surprised about Walsh. He was (IIRC) Coventry's player of the Season in 2019/20, albeit in League One but promoted all the same! He has room for growth too given his age...our loss (fitness permitting) might well be someone's gain.

Well, he has played CB as well.  Maybe the plan is to have him as a squad player rather than in the starting XI - in which case the contract negotiations will be reflecting that change in status.  

He will turn 35 next season. Options will be in short supply. 

58 minutes ago, One Team said:

Great to see that lot moving on, hopefully a couple more will leave too. 

NP clearly highlighting who were the players he didn’t rate and making clear decisions already which is great to see.

Note these are only the ones out of contract, so much easier to let go. The interesting thing will be which of those under contract he doesn’t rate.

8 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Looking at the BBC teams are release a large amount of players. I know it happens at this time of year but is the amount clubs are releasing on the higher side than normal? Due to COVID/financial impacts on football?

Of course. It's a matter of turning it into a buyer's market. 

Players ooc have to live with that fear of no club wanting them and so make less demands. This forces wages down to the level clubs can afford as well as transfer fees being removed. 

This is why you suspect Weimann is being offered less than he is on now. I'd give him 2/ 3 weeks then withdraw any offer. 

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I hope we keep Wells, play to his strengths and utilise his ability.

When he was such a popular member of the Bradford, Huddersfield, and QPR dressing rooms, you have to wonder where the problem actually sits.

Maybe his slightly frustrated demeanour is in (until Nigel Pearson joined and Mark Ashton left) the fact that having played for proper clubs he had joined a basket-case one, and was a striker playing in a side that created a record-breaking lack of chances.

Just a thought.

And stuck out wide.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Agreed. The epitome of a busy bee - I feel a bit sick. 

We definitely don’t need busy bees. In cold, rainy weather bees tend to take the day off and stay in the hive. We need players who can perform on a could winter Wednesday night in Middlesbrough 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hang on.............:cool2:

Im not questioning his credentials at all. He’s clearly has an impressive CV including a football background. 
I was simply pointing out that when he was at AG some years ago he took plenty of stick on here from various posters in his role as commercial manager.

I remember meeting him once at a function of some sort in the old Williams Stand. That was about the only time that I had anything to do with him.

No, you said... "He was the Commercial manager at AG a few years ago. He wasn’t particularly good in that role.", then when asked to substantiate you backed it up with heresay and rumour.

14 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Easy way to remember the 11, they form a 4-4-2...

Gilmartin: Hunt, Mariappa, Baker, Rowe: Adelakun, Walsh, Lansbury, Paterson: Fam, Watkins.

Completely pointless post but amused me slightly.

Still better than R*vers.

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's on the touchline coaching them right now. So I assume he is staying on as a coach but has just been officially released as a player.

Not how I see it.

I think he was a coach this season because if we registered him as a player then he took up a space that we needed for someone who actually might play.

Harper was on the pitch for the U23s today and he has been released.

If Gilmartin was staying on as a coach then the retained list announcement would have said that.

Think he’s gone.

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Looking at the BBC teams are release a large amount of players. I know it happens at this time of year but is the amount clubs are releasing on the higher side than normal? Due to COVID/financial impacts on football?

Makes sense 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It wasn’t me personally that he didn’t impress - I had nothing much to with him but I do remember him getting plenty of stick on here from other posters about various parts of the job that he didn’t seem to do well at.

Maybe some of the other long term otib posters will remember.........:dunno:

Beep beep beep beep 

Archived