IGNORED

11 Gone

Dolman_Stand

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I wonder if we look at the other side of the coin how much revenue he generated in sales. Then a very simple calculation with sum things up more accurately.

Sorry but any CEO worth his wages could have got big money for Webster, Kelly etc...........please don't make Ashton out to be some kind of financial genius Ha! ?

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Sorry but any CEO worth his wages could have got big money for Webster, Kelly etc...........please don't make Ashton out to be some kind of financial genius Ha! ?

Believe me I'm not, but everything needs to be taken into account to make a reasoned opinion that's all.

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

But LJ didn't negotiate contracts..............there is is only one urinal cake as far as that goes? ?

As I've said many times before. Ex players do not become experts in business management when they take over a team. People are in place for that purpose as their expertise / qualification dictates.

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Transfer profit = £75.8m

Bearing in mind only a few players have been bought for a fee / compensation and subsequently sold for a fee (Magnússon, Brownhill, Eliasson, Webster), it’s probably around the £85m generated from player sales.

In that period, we’ve racked up losses of £41.4m….likely to be another £20m this season just ended.

image.thumb.jpeg.e6bf29213856c16c0824af02d0cbcba2.jpeg

How would you sum that up out of interest?

Puts things in a more balanced perspective 

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As I've said many times before. Ex players do not become experts in business management when they take over a team. People are in place for that purpose as their expertise / qualification dictates.

Your right.............but the wrong person was obviously in place to negotiate contracts, or how else can it be explained how so many players have left for nothing.  And only one person at Ashton Gate organised contracts?  

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Your right.............but the wrong person was obviously in place to negotiate contracts, or how else can it be explained how so many players have left for nothing.  And only one person at Ashton Gate organised contracts?  

And many have left for very decent fees. The problem is that none of us know exactly the internal club process for this task. Many claim to be "ITK" but more often than not this has been proved to be bollycocks.

28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Believe me I'm not, but everything needs to be taken into account to make a reasoned opinion that's all.

To be fair to Ashton, for the players sold we did get pretty sizeable fees, I agree he wasn't entirely useless.

8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

To be fair to Ashton, for the players sold we did get pretty sizeable fees, I agree he wasn't entirely useless.

People only focus on the negatives and forget the positives. I suspect when we look at the overall situation it pretty much evens itself out.

24 minutes ago, BigTone said:

People only focus on the negatives and forget the positives. I suspect when we look at the overall situation it pretty much evens itself out.

He was a decent dealmaker Tone but strategically all over the place. Three pillars, abandoned after no time at all, buy young-develop-sale for profit, well, they did it a but but we were still signing Brunt, Lansbury etc. 

Identity ???

Brand Values???

Route Map to Premier League???

Synergies developed with/from other BS brands - zero. 

14 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

He was a decent dealmaker Tone but strategically all over the place. Three pillars, abandoned after no time at all, buy young-develop-sale for profit, well, they did it a but but we were still signing Brunt, Lansbury etc. 

Identity ???

Brand Values???

Route Map to Premier League???

Synergies developed with/from other BS brands - zero. 

Ok, but profit or loss?  Three pillars?  I thought it was a couple more.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I wonder if Weimann will be released if he doesn't agree to a new contract. 

Yes the club can trigger the year option. But with the injury he just had and the club probably knowing he'd get a lower wage elsewhere if he were to leave, the club may feel paying him what he's currently earning is bad business.

100% I think that JD. Ultimately, City will be very reluctant to negotiate with any of the current lot. Walsh didn't get what he demanded and I doubt Weimann will get much generosity from us. The agent will be looking for alternatives for leverage if not a move. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Maybe, maybe not- what I would say is we are up there in terms of Profit on Disposal of Players the last few seasons in this League. Brentford are ahead of us for sure but can't think of many more- not to say there aren't some but we're definitely one of the more regularly high up in this regard.

Then again, inflationary market etc- but making hay while sun shines can be important, see Reading and maybe Stoke as examples. Blackburn in theory too, though they have a number of saleable assets if required who will still get some PL interest.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Fair comment. I am highly critical of his role on the football side but there were posters saying, for instance, that we would be lucky to get £1.5m for Bryan and similarly discounting how much we would get for Reid.

He also got much the same for Webster as Brentford got for Maupay when you would expect a striker to attract significantly more.

If he had stuck to what he was qualified to do he might have a better reputation.

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

When does an opinion shared by all stop becoming an opinion and become fact?

Would you disagree?

It’s still an opinion as opposed to “truth”. It’s subjective.

Personally agree for what it’s worth, probably not 1 in 10 but he was certainly guilty of 3/4 good performances then missing for a couple. 

It also depends if he is was hampered by how he was being asked to play. If he keeps getting picked, as he did, then someone thinks he’s playing well

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yes the club can trigger the year option. But with the injury he just had and the club probably knowing he'd get a lower wage elsewhere if he were to leave, the club may feel paying him what he's currently earning is bad business.

Be very surprised if that’s the case.

It appears that we have two options, trigger his year extension on current terms or offer him two years on the basis he will accept a wage cut.

If he says no, then we ask for compensation because we have triggered the extra year.

My guess is Pearson really wants him as part of next season’s squad but clearly there will come a point where if he won’t compromise, we will have to draw the line.

I doubt he will get a better offer elsewhere than another year on current terms but would not be surprised to see another club improve on any longer but lower wages offer.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Did we make on Flint ?

Yes, as did Swindon to the tune of about £1m!

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Puts things in a more balanced perspective 

And having been furnished with a bit more info, what do you think?

You could argue that without £70m of transfer profit we’d have lost £110m.  But that’s exactly what we are gonna see in 20/21s accounts when they come out, and putting a millstone around Pearson’s neck for 21/22.  I wonder why he was keen to leave this season ….what do you think?

Busted flush.

If a novice like me could see the obvious decline in the balance sheet, and the less obvious decline on the pitch, why couldn’t the pros, SL included?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

That is of course a valid scenario Jon.

Club might feel £18k p.w. is too much to risk for one year (£1m near as dammit).

I can only guess that 2 years at £12k p.w. has little incentive for Weimann….so it’s about finding the sweet spot in between.  It might not be found.

If not, it’s another £1m in the available budget.  That’s possibly where the likes of Yates or Charles start becoming a factor.

So many ifs, buts and maybes at this stage of the season.  I quite enjoy it.

edit: just seen Graham’s post.  Club need to weigh up whether they think triggering contract will see clubs willing to pay a fee.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, as did Swindon to the tune of about £1m!

And having been furnished with a bit more info, what do you think?

You could argue that without £70m of transfer profit we’d have lost £110m.  But that’s exactly what we are gonna see in 20/21s accounts when they come out, and putting a millstone around Pearson’s neck for 21/22.  I wonder why he was keen to leave this season ….what do you think?

Busted flush.

If a novice like me could see the obvious decline in the balance sheet, and the less obvious decline on the pitch, why couldn’t the pros, SL included?

That is of course a valid scenario Jon.

Club might feel £18k p.w. is too much to risk for one year (£1m near as dammit).

I can only guess that 2 years at £12k p.w. has little incentive for Weimann….so it’s about finding the sweet spot in between.  It might not be found.

If not, it’s another £1m in the available budget.  That’s possibly where the likes of Yates or Charles start becoming a factor.

So many ifs, buts and maybes at this stage of the season.  I quite enjoy it.

edit: just seen Graham’s post.  Club need to weigh up whether they think triggering contract will see clubs willing to pay a fee.

I’m honestly a bit annoyed that Ashton is leaving after yesterday’s news. I would’ve ******* loved to hear him try and explain the absolute shambles of Walsh/Fam etc leaving after what he said. That + the injuries make me think maybe he wanted out to escape criticism (or more). 

Though Tbh he’d probably bury his head in the sand and stay silent until December/whenever we were doing well anyway. 

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

I am not defending Ashton however the uncertainty concerning COVID-19 and the revenue potential means that this is not a normal situation. 
I prefer to see a bunch of under performers leaving for free rather than having them tied up on fat contracts which do not correspond with the market today or their worth to the club. 

I was praying that Diedhiou did not sign his absurd contract offer and he will be in for a rude awakening I imagine.

The club nearly went bust because of toxic contracts. Never again. 

Under normal circumstances I would be very upset with the ‘ money ‘ walking out the door but let’s just see how things pan out in the transfer window. 

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m honestly a bit annoyed that Ashton is leaving after yesterday’s news. I would’ve ******* loved to hear him try and explain the absolute shambles of Walsh/Fam etc leaving after what he said. That + the injuries make me think maybe he wanted out to escape criticism (or more). 

Though Tbh he’d probably bury his head in the sand and stay silent until December/whenever we were doing well anyway. 

I can absolutely believe that he'll have planned to get out before the shit properly hit the fan and his mismanagement was exposed, even if the opportunity at Ipswich hadn't come up.

21 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s tough on Hunt.  How any games did he play compared to Watkins?  He has been a very decent right back, but now is the time for him to move on.  Not a bad bit of business though.

Suggested Sunderland link....https://the72.co.uk/235765/comment-sunderland-should-snap-up-released-bristol-city-man-who-johnson-says-is-a-tough-competitor/

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I need to look at nothing. You need to stop the anti policeman sentiment you habour if anything. And believe you me, I ain't your pal. One last point while you seem to be making a complete show of yourself ..... no I am not and never have been a policeman. 

Just run along sonny, you are doing yourself no favours credibility wise.

Credibility? I’m not after any

I’m not the one who thinks its ok to abuse players on twitter 

I’ll ask the question again, since you failed to answer it 

Do you think it’s ok to abuse footballers on social media? 

26 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Credibility? I’m not after any

I’m not the one who thinks its ok to abuse players on twitter 

I’ll ask the question again, since you failed to answer it 

Do you think it’s ok to abuse footballers on social media? 

Nobody abused anyone on Twitter. It would be a good idea to READ what was said and stop taking offence on behalf of others.

In answer to your question it is not ok to abuse others on Twitter. However, equally it is not ok to abuse others of something they haven't done on twitter or a public forum. Run along and just grow up and stop trying to be the worlds

policeman of social media. You are making yourself look rather daft (being polite but wish to use a different unoffensive phrase) 

52 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Me too

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am not defending Ashton however the uncertainty concerning COVID-19 and the revenue potential means that this is not a normal situation. 
I prefer to see a bunch of under performers leaving for free rather than having them tied up on fat contracts which do not correspond with the market today or their worth to the club. 

I was praying that Diedhiou did not sign his absurd contract offer and he will be in for a rude awakening I imagine.

The club nearly went bust because of toxic contracts. Never again. 

Under normal circumstances I would be very upset with the ‘ money ‘ walking out the door but let’s just see how things pan out in the transfer window. 

Personally I’d have preferred that he understood the pro footballer psyche better and made the call last summer, getting us some money in the process.  Imagine we’d have taken the hit with £2m for Diedhiou last summer, £1m for Walsh, £500k for Pato, £1m for Baker, plus their wages, another £2m+.  Borderline negligence.

36 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I can absolutely believe that he'll have planned to get out before the shit properly hit the fan and his mismanagement was exposed, even if the opportunity at Ipswich hadn't come up.

Me too.  There comes a point when you can’t cover your arse with progressive league position and transfer profit in the accounts.  He knew he was a busted flush.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Be very surprised if that’s the case.

It appears that we have two options, trigger his year extension on current terms or offer him two years on the basis he will accept a wage cut.

If he says no, then we ask for compensation because we have triggered the extra year.

My guess is Pearson really wants him as part of next season’s squad but clearly there will come a point where if he won’t compromise, we will have to draw the line.

I doubt he will get a better offer elsewhere than another year on current terms but would not be surprised to see another club improve on any longer but lower wages offer.

That doesn't make sense. We don't want to trigger his extra year because we don't want to pay that wage, so in your version Weimann wins either way??

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

That doesn't make sense. We don't want to trigger his extra year because we don't want to pay that wage, so in your version Weimann wins either way??

No, I meant the negotiation would be either accept a year on the same money or the guarantee of a longer deal on less.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Me too

Personally I’d have preferred that he understood the pro footballer psyche better and made the call last summer, getting us some money in the process.  Imagine we’d have taken the hit with £2m for Diedhiou last summer, £1m for Walsh, £500k for Pato, £1m for Baker, plus their wages, another £2m+.  Borderline negligence.

Me too.  There comes a point when you can’t cover your arse with progressive league position and transfer profit in the accounts.  He knew he was a busted flush.

That’s assuming that Ashton had anticipated COVID-19 Dave. 

Nobody abused anyone on Twitter. It would be a good idea to READ what was said and stop taking offence on behalf of others.

In answer to your question it is not ok to abuse others on Twitter. However, equally it is not ok to abuse others of something they haven't done on twitter or a public forum. Run along and just grow up and stop trying to be the worlds

policeman of social media. You are making yourself look rather daft (being polite but wish to use a different unoffensive phrase) 

Ok. So Fordys tweet to pato was meant to be a compliment was it. Is that why he got blocked. Did Paterson just take it the wrong way 

Only 1 daft person here, the one trying to defend abuse 

Archived