IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

14 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Not starting until mid June.  So, who is doing the negotiations then? Surely we are going to wait until mid June to start recruiting? 

Not starting officially. Will he be working out his contract somewhere, and maybe having unofficial or consulting input here in the meantime.

Was he the **** who "masterminded" the one off gold shirts for Wembley that time? Talk about taking the pish.

20 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Excited by this.

Seems to tick all the boxes, extensive experience as CEO at a high sporting level, knows the club inside out from his previous time at the club. Ex-military with extensive business experience too. Good stuff.

Agree, but not entirely sure why the club (and you) value military experience so highly.  He'll have the shiniest shoes in the boardroom?

Welcome Richard.   Good appointment.  Love the local connections.  

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I imagine the CEO role for Gould will be slightly different to that performed by Mark Ashton. An additional appointment to be made with this person to have purely recruitment responsibilities?

Yep, Gould is effectively a commercial director. He won't be brokering transfer deals like MA did. 

1 minute ago, miser said:

Depends whether he still lives on Portishead. Was always on the Post short list for new managers due his house choice

Yep just built a new house opposite his old one

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm very concerned that we've not gone for a an experienced football CEO

I'm not. Leave the football decisions to the football men. Not jumped up CEO's who get above their stations.

24 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

You would imagine JL would be the one dealing with offers/deals until then unless we bring in a head of recruitment and Gould just deals with the day to day. 

He took Surrey to the next level. Overlooked 2 expansions on the oval, pretty much doubled their revenue and even turned a profit in the pandemic (no mean feat). 

That doesn't make me feel any better though :P

7 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Agree, but not entirely sure why the club (and you) value military experience so highly.  He'll have the shiniest shoes in the boardroom?

Welcome Richard.   Good appointment.  Love the local connections.  

He was a tank commander. Could this mean that SL plans to shell out on players? Or is it simply a smoke screen and he's trying to cover his tracks. Either way, he's got us over a barrel.

And no, I don't have turrets syndrome.

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

He was a tank commander. Could this mean that SL plans to shell out on players? Or is it simply a smoke screen and he's trying to cover his tracks. Either way, he's got us over a barrel.

Very Clever!

21 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Not starting officially. Will he be working out his contract somewhere, and maybe having unofficial or consulting input here in the meantime.

Was he the **** who "masterminded" the one off gold shirts for Wembley that time? Talk about taking the pish.

Yep, thats him.  Think they called the colour "champagne" haha

43 minutes ago, TomF said:

He was at City as Commercial Director years ago then went and cut his teeth as a CEO at Somerset and Surrey. As much as I despise everything about Surrey they're a massive club and possibly still bigger than BCFC. Football heritage is in his family.. 

Hoping he has learned then. He was responsible for the new badge on that David Cotterill shirt 

Said in an article that he continued to live in Somerset (wise man) whilst working for Surrey, so shouldn’t have any issues settling back in.

Obviously going to be a different structure than was the case with Ashton but looks a good appointment.

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Hoping he has learned then. He was responsible for the new badge on that David Cotterill shirt 

I remember it well, I was involved in the FCF at the time and we were partly associated with the approval of the design.  He has gone on to do very well since leaving BCFC and to be honest many expected him to be the next chief at the ECB.

Great news imho. Always comes across as a very smart and knowledgable bloke whenever I’ve seen him interviewed on the cricket front, and not a hint of smarm, that I’ve seen at least.  Surrey is a big sporting institution and he’s obviously done very well there. Great appointment imho and very exciting times ahead with the clear out as well. A proper new era! Let’s hope it’s the start of something really really good. 

23 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

He'l be a Centurian 

24 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I'm not. Leave the football decisions to the football men. Not jumped up CEO's who get above their stations.

So long as we appoint a Head of recruitment/scouting to work alongside Pearson and leave everything else to Gould, this looks like  good appointment.

Although it comes as no surprise that the owner has appointed someone he already knows  and is comfortable with. Still, it feels like a good appointment to me - if nothing else, this fella is in tune with the club's supporters far more than The Snake. 

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, he's promised not to be a totally useless *** !

Interesting one. Gould was not great in his first run here not matter what anyone says. Hopefully 16 years in cricket will have changed that!

43 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, Gould is effectively a commercial director. He won't be brokering transfer deals like MA did. 

Really?  With Bristol Sport supposedly dealing with the club’s commercial side, his remit must surely include dealing with and negotiating transfers.

Archived