IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

41 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

He was a tank commander. Could this mean that SL plans to shell out on players? Or is it simply a smoke screen and he's trying to cover his tracks. Either way, he's got us over a barrel.

And no, I don't have turrets syndrome.

Turrets syndrome !???

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm very concerned that we've not gone for a an experienced football CEO

Irrelevant. He's CEO, not Director of Football. And he's worked for City before. He's very well respected and was an obvious choice. Nice bloke, too.

38 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Define gashead.

If it's a bloke from Coventry who played for Cov, Wolves, West Brom, West Ham and us before having anything to do with that shower... then Yes! 

Cough...Arsenal.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm very concerned that we've not gone for a an experienced football CEO

But we have gone for an experienced sport CEO . He's had 10 successful years at Surrey CC, and comes from a football family. See it as a good appointment. Welcome back to Bristol Richard.

Wonder if they appointed him to save on relocation expenses?

(For clarity, this is a reference to every occasion when we were looking for a new manager, and Bobby was linked with the role for no other reason than 'he still has a house in the area').

And we think the standard of report in the post these days is poor, back then your property buying decisions seemed to qualify you as a candidate for a role.

30 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Irrelevant. He's CEO, not Director of Football. And he's worked for City before. He's very well respected and was an obvious choice. Nice bloke, too.

Not "irrelevant" is it. 

Football and cricket are two very different sports, with very different "customer" bases. The bodies, rules and regulations governing football are different to cricket. Surrey CC's structure is very different to the one at AG. The levels of money involved are very different.

He's worked in cricket for the past 15 years - the majority of his career in this type of role. He hasn't worked in football to my knowledge since 2005 and a fair amount has changed in that time.

He was involved in a couple of notable gaffs in his time at City, most infamously the worst kit design that has ever been witnessed in the history of football, and revealing a new poorly designed club badge without consultation if I recall.

I hope it works out but there are some legitimate concerns about this appointment. As an aside, I wonder if anyone else was approached about the role?

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Not "irrelevant" is it. 

Football and cricket are two very different sports, with very different "customer" bases. The bodies, rules and regulations governing football are different to cricket. Surrey CC's structure is very different to the one at AG. The levels of money involved are very different.

He's worked in cricket for the past 15 years - the majority of his career in this type of role. He hasn't worked in football to my knowledge since 2005 and a fair amount has changed in that time.

He was involved in a couple of notable gaffs in his time at City, most infamously the worst kit design that has ever been witnessed in the history of football, and revealing a new poorly designed club badge without consultation if I recall.

I hope it works out but there are some legitimate concerns about this appointment. As an aside, I wonder if anyone else was approached about the role?

It's about transferrable skills. Commonly companies appoint execs from other sectors, to benefit from cross-cultural learning. And most of his skills from cricket will apply to football. At Surrey he would have managed a huge sports facility, large staff, commercial directorate, etc. Ticks all of City's boxes. And someone else will be doing the DoF role, that's not what he's coming here for. Football he can learn; sports admin and management is what he's been recruited for.

2 hours ago, Dave L said:

An excellent appointment.  I know Richard from his work at City and at Somerset. He has a proven track record, and understands the club and the fan base. 

This is the big thing for me he has the understanding of the fan base which in every football club is crucial,Something the club has been failing on from previous. Very happy with this appointment.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was also the man that would have been responsible (if we had beaten stoke) for the City mascot at the time being the person to climb the steps a Wembley to be presented with the trophy. Something to do with it being family friendly I recall. 

I also remember the dumbfounded looks on the faces around us when they played the club anthems pre match. Stoke had Delilah, our turn came with everyone ready for The Wurzels and what came out of the tannoy was Hi Ho Silver Lining. 

That, along with the Champagne shirts and the kit/badge debacle make me wonder. 

He certainly didn't understand football fans back then, I hope he has learnt with time. 

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

He was a tank commander. Could this mean that SL plans to shell out on players? Or is it simply a smoke screen and he's trying to cover his tracks. Either way, he's got us over a barrel.

And no, I don't have turrets syndrome.

If we can sign sherman then we  might even  end up challengers.

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

He was also the man that would have been responsible (if we had beaten stoke) for the City mascot at the time being the person to climb the steps a Wembley to be presented with the trophy. Something to do with it being family friendly I recall. 

I also remember the dumbfounded looks on the faces around us when they played the club anthems pre match. Stoke had Delilah, our turn came with everyone ready for The Wurzels and what came out of the tannoy was Hi Ho Silver Lining. 

He certainly didn't understand football fans back then, I hope he has learnt with time. 

Nah, I'm sure being 15 years in charge of large sports organisations won't have taught him a thing

18 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I hope that Nige presents all his suggestions and recommendations and Gouldy just rubber stamps them. 

Given RG’s military background and NP aspiring to be in the RAF there might be some entertaining moments. 

20 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

If as CEO his biggest gaffes end up being along the lines of a naff kit, playing a crap song over the tannoy, and a stupid mascot I think he'll have done pretty well.

That's all obvious stuff but not really what I care about when it comes to running our club effectively at CEO level, personally...!

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

If as CEO his biggest gaffes end up being along the lines of a naff kit, playing a crap song over the tannoy, and a stupid mascot I think he'll have done pretty well.

That's all obvious stuff but not really what I care about when it comes to running our club effectively at CEO level, personally...!

I always heard that the naff kit was because the Board at the time wanted to cash in - we'd won the kit toss, but gave it to Stoke so we could sell more jerseys. Whether Gould chose the kit (or how much choice he had) is another matter. 

Oh, and we did the same thing in the 1987 FRT final - we wore a (naff) white kit, rather than red, against Mansfield - no kit clash there. Obvs, Gouldy wasn't involved, he was still at school...

42 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not "irrelevant" is it. 

If all we have to worry about are shit kit designs as opposed to the cluster ***ks we have had to deal with these past few years (which include a shit badge as a minor footnote) then I for one will be a very very happy man.
We’ve just got rid of someone who was involved here as CEO purely for his and his mates own substantial gain and replaced them with someone who we know has the clubs and the regions interests very much at heart (sure he will be very well reimbursed as well of course) . Let’s get behind him, from the start at the very least, because he sure as hell beats Ashton and his team of cronies.  

34 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I always heard that the naff kit was because the Board at the time wanted to cash in - we'd won the kit toss, but gave it to Stoke so we could sell more jerseys. Whether Gould chose the kit (or how much choice he had) is another matter. 

Oh, and we did the same thing in the 1987 FRT final - we wore a (naff) white kit, rather than red, against Mansfield - no kit clash there. Obvs, Gouldy wasn't involved, he was still at school...

That "naff kit" you're referring to is one of my favourite shirts. 

Archived