IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

He was also the man that would have been responsible (if we had beaten stoke) for the City mascot at the time being the person to climb the steps a Wembley to be presented with the trophy. Something to do with it being family friendly I recall. 

I also remember the dumbfounded looks on the faces around us when they played the club anthems pre match. Stoke had Delilah, our turn came with everyone ready for The Wurzels and what came out of the tannoy was Hi Ho Silver Lining. 

That, along with the Champagne shirts and the kit/badge debacle make me wonder. 

He certainly didn't understand football fans back then, I hope he has learnt with time. 

Absolutely. These are multiple examples of not knowing your target audience, a pretty big issue to be honest! 

I'm sure he's learnt, and I hope @Blagdon red can offer advice as part of the supports club. The club need to prioritise reconnecting with fans, as a lot likely have never felt so alienated.

He doubled Surreys memberships, lets hope he can replicate that here and get the club bouncing once more.

AND ITS HI HO BRISTOL CITY.....

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It says he was Commercial Director from June 2001. Did he have another role here before that, because the Wembley trip was in 2000.

Yea he made and designed kits for the club,

But you are right he wasn't involved in that Wembley debacle as he wasn't at the club, wasn't Scott Davidson still chairman

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

Absolutely. These are multiple examples of not knowing your target audience, a pretty big issue to be honest! 

I'm sure he's learnt, and I hope @Blagdon red can offer advice as part of the supports club. The club need to prioritise reconnecting with fans, as a lot likely have never felt so alienated.

He doubled Surreys memberships, lets hope he can replicate that here and get the club bouncing once more.

He wasn't at the club then, that was under Scott Davidson tenure 

For all the negative comments about his background, shirt design and lack of recent football knowledge it’s worth remembering the comment from today’s Evening Standard:

“The Surrey he leaves behind is undoubtedly the most commercially viable county in English cricket.”

That will be his job at City, Commercial, not scouting and finding players  

4 hours ago, mozo said:

I'm very concerned that we've not gone for a an experienced football CEO

I'm not. Gould's job should, and probably will be, a predominantly commercial one. We can only hope a DoF or head of recruitment is in imminently. As @Harry says, we needed that appointment weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

I'm not. Gould's job should, and probably will be, a predominantly commercial one. We can only hope a DoF or head of recruitment is in imminent. As @Harry says, we needed that appointment weeks ago. 

Seems like we have been trying and our number one target turned us down recently, I expect one will be appointed by the end of the month 

Ashton gone ✔️

Pearson given a 3 year deal ✔️

Rolls gone ✔️

Squad thinned out ✔️

New CEO in place ✔️

To do:

New head of recruitment

New lead physio

Squad bolstering

Busy summer but well on track! Welcome Richard. We love you Steve.

19 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Ashton gone ✔️

Pearson given a 3 year deal ✔️

Rolls gone ✔️

Squad thinned out ✔️

New CEO in place ✔️

To do:

New head of recruitment

New lead physio 

Squad bolstering

Busy summer but well on track! Welcome Richard. We love you Steve.

Proctor is the lead physio and staying I thought.  It needs a head of performance (Rolls title) or something similar.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, Selred said:

To use that horrible phrase, we will "reach out" to him to get that reconnection started.

As a fellow old boy from BGS, I'm sure he'll be very approachable and keen to get fans onside from the outset.

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

Proctor is the lead physio and staying I thought.  It needs a head of performance (Rolls title) or something similar.

Oh I thought Rolls oversaw physio. Bit concerning the lead physio is considered worth keeping around no? Hopefully this was just a freak season and next year will be very different regarding player availability. Won't be hindered by the fact Baker, Mawson, Watkins are gone.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

He was also the man that would have been responsible (if we had beaten stoke) for the City mascot at the time being the person to climb the steps a Wembley to be presented with the trophy. Something to do with it being family friendly I recall. 

I also remember the dumbfounded looks on the faces around us when they played the club anthems pre match. Stoke had Delilah, our turn came with everyone ready for The Wurzels and what came out of the tannoy was Hi Ho Silver Lining. 

That, along with the Champagne shirts and the kit/badge debacle make me wonder. 

He certainly didn't understand football fans back then, I hope he has learnt with time. 

None of that was Gould, before his time, that was Scott Davidson. 

17 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Oh I thought Rolls oversaw physio. Bit concerning the lead physio is considered worth keeping around no? Hopefully this was just a freak season and next year will be very different regarding player availability. Won't be hindered by the fact Baker, Mawson, Watkins are gone.

I mean with games pretty much being every Tuesday-Saturday injuries were always going to pile up in this covid season, now the calendar has normalised I doubt we'll see as much. 

Proctor was at Oxford along with Ashton but I don't know how pally they are with each other as it seems he doesn't want to jump ship like everyone else. 

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

We needed a CEO or General manager . Someone who builds working teams . Gould is very good , and an excellent appointment. His job is not to identify players or recruitment . It matters almost zero if he does not know football he needs to know management . Some of the things he is being blamed for on here are bonkers , most of which had nothing to do with him . It is a blessing he will not be confusing roles like Ashton . 

the key role is recruitment . That is the job we need filling with the highest quality available . 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

For all the negative comments about his background, shirt design and lack of recent football knowledge it’s worth remembering the comment from today’s Evening Standard:

“The Surrey he leaves behind is undoubtedly the most commercially viable county in English cricket.”

That will be his job at City, Commercial, not scouting and finding players  

Not knocking him but Surrey are the richest club in county cricket, with large membership and a huge and prosperous (corporate) audience on their doorstep. If they aren’t commercially viable then no county is.

Still below the mighty ‘shire mind!

21 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Not knocking him but Surrey are the richest club in county cricket, with large membership and a huge and prosperous (corporate) audience on their doorstep. If they aren’t commercially viable then no county is.

Yeah but the fact they have a large membership and are the richest club in county cricket is surely a positive for him!! 

Seems like a good appointment to me. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ve never forgiven Bobby Gould for saying on HTV West that Bobby Taylor was easily worth £1m, and then signing him the next week for West Brom for £300k. 
I was devastated. 

I agree, he wasn't used properly by Lumsden, who only gave him minimal game time to prove his form and fitness, makes you wonder why.  Then sold to WBA for £275k I thought it was and, he banged in 37? goals for them. Something was very wrong in that deal. 

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

To use that horrible phrase, we will "reach out" to him to get that reconnection started.

As a fellow old boy from BGS, I'm sure he'll be very approachable and keen to get fans onside from the outset.

I always found RG very approachable and friendly in his previous stint here. Infact if anything he was one of last of the old school staff who had a genuine like for the club (i.e Kerry Price, AdamB etc) and there has been a distinct disconnect since his departure. 

34 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

When Richard Gould walked into Surrey CC in 2011 they were on the brink of administration. Now if you took the TV rights away they would be on a par with PL football.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not "irrelevant" is it. 

Football and cricket are two very different sports, with very different "customer" bases. The bodies, rules and regulations governing football are different to cricket. Surrey CC's structure is very different to the one at AG. The levels of money involved are very different.

He's worked in cricket for the past 15 years - the majority of his career in this type of role. He hasn't worked in football to my knowledge since 2005 and a fair amount has changed in that time.

He was involved in a couple of notable gaffs in his time at City, most infamously the worst kit design that has ever been witnessed in the history of football, and revealing a new poorly designed club badge without consultation if I recall.

I hope it works out but there are some legitimate concerns about this appointment. As an aside, I wonder if anyone else was approached about the role?

That's a very good question!  See below...

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So long as we appoint a Head of recruitment/scouting to work alongside Pearson and leave everything else to Gould, this looks like  good appointment.

Although it comes as no surprise that the owner has appointed someone he already knows  and is comfortable with. Still, it feels like a good appointment to me - if nothing else, this fella is in tune with the club's supporters far more than The Snake. 

Doesn't Lansdown do this all the time?  When was the last time he appointed someone he didn't previously have a professional relationship with?

The simple fact is that Lansdown has a very poor record with recruitment.  And it all starts with his son....

25 minutes ago, Chivs said:

That's a very good question!  See below...

Doesn't Lansdown do this all the time?  When was the last time he appointed someone he didn't previously have a professional relationship with?

The simple fact is that Lansdown has a very poor record with recruitment.  And it all starts with his son....

When he appointed Nigel Pearson a few months ago. I think he has seen the light. 

Archived