IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

59 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

When Richard Gould walked into Surrey CC in 2011 they were on the brink of administration. Now if you took the TV rights away they would be on a par with PL football.

Surrey and Lancashire are the only 2 counties who didn't have to furlough their players when Covid hit last March.

Steve Lansdown , apart from living in a far off land ?, wants to step back a little. That is made easier if he has people he trusts in positions of power. I fully understand him appointing people he knows. The guy has gone off, got experience and done what seems to be a good job. If people have concerns, fair enough, but for ***** sake let him drop a bollock before we start writing him off.

My gut feeling is this is a really good appointment, previous knowledge of the club has has forged a good career since he left with a lot of experience now.

Signs are to me that we will get another top guy in with a roll overseeing recruitment and football maters.

19 minutes ago, M.D said:

My gut feeling is this is a really good appointment, previous knowledge of the club has has forged a good career since he left with a lot of experience now.

Signs are to me that we will get another top guy in with a roll overseeing recruitment and football maters.

Exactly this. Gould will not be involved in recruitment like Ashton was. He will no doubt sit in on a meeting or two but selections will largely be NP and the Chief Scout with backroom support.

Welcome to Richard Gould. Seems like he knows what he is about and the extra experience at Surrey and performance will help City.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Exactly this. Gould will not be involved in recruitment like Ashton was. He will no doubt sit in on a meeting or two but selections will largely be NP and the Chief Scout with backroom support.

Welcome to Richard Gould. Seems like he knows what he is about and the extra experience at Surrey and performance will help City.

Totally agree

10 hours ago, TomF said:

He was at City as Commercial Director years ago then went and cut his teeth as a CEO at Somerset and Surrey. As much as I despise everything about Surrey they're a massive club and possibly still bigger than BCFC. Football heritage is in his family.. 

Ahem! Somerset CCC is also a ‘massive’ club I’ll have you know! ????... and I once smashed his ‘famous’ older brother Jon for two consecutive sixes in a bitter derby cricket match - ‘twas very satisfying, especially after he gave me a gobfull after the first one! 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ahem! Somerset CCC is also a ‘massive’ club I’ll have you know! ????... and I once smashed his ‘famous’ older brother Jon for two consecutive sixes in a bitter derby cricket match - ‘twas very satisfying, especially after he gave me a gobfull after the first one! 

QEH vs BGS?

18 hours ago, IAmNick said:

If as CEO his biggest gaffes end up being along the lines of a naff kit, playing a crap song over the tannoy, and a stupid mascot I think he'll have done pretty well.

That's all obvious stuff but not really what I care about when it comes to running our club effectively at CEO level, personally...!

And if we’re talking naff kits then he’s not alone: Fulham last season, which has understandably been overshadowed by events that immediately followed that match.

19 hours ago, sm2webb said:

Really?  With Bristol Sport supposedly dealing with the club’s commercial side, his remit must surely include dealing with and negotiating transfers.

But we could still appoint someone else to do the dealing and negotiating. That’s how it normally works. As CEO he’s in charge, but any good CEO leaves leaves his top team to get on with what they know. The most important role of the CEO is just to make sure they all agree, buy into and work to the same strategy and objectives. Ashton was probably an example of a CEO getting too involved in stuff he’d have better trusted to others. 

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It says he was Commercial Director from June 2001. Did he have another role here before that, because the Wembley trip was in 2000.

Correct - @richwwtk is right with his list of grievances from the Auto Windscreen final in 2000 but has the wrong person. Surprised everyone has leapt on this when as you say the dates don't line up for Richard Gould.

I knew it wasn't him, but had to dig around in the Net Centre archives to remind myself that the person in question was the then marketing manager James Worrall - who was an ambitious upwardly mobile "ideas fountain".

City today learned they have lost the toss over who plays in their traditional home strip in the Wembley final with Stoke on April 16.

But they are planning to bring out a special commemorative edition shirt, which they plan to launch ahead of the league clash with Stoke at Ashton Gate on Tuesday night.

Marketing manager James Worrall said: “It’s a shame we can’t play in red, and we’re struggling for white as well because our opponents have white shorts.

“So we’re looking into a brand new shirt and brand new colour for the day.”

Source: http://bsthree.co.uk/timemachine/netcentre/archive/ep2303001.htm

Also, this, from the same archive, is an ABSOLUTE GEM:

3564743_Screenshot2021-05-15at08_13_34.thumb.png.ceaf6c4f1bf767590df4019b5ab71cfd.png

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Correct - @richwwtk is right with his list of grievances from the Auto Windscreen final in 2000 but has the wrong person. Surprised everyone has leapt on this when as you say the dates don't line up for Richard Gould.

I knew it wasn't him, but had to dig around in the Net Centre archives to remind myself that the person in question was the then marketing manager James Worrall - who was an ambitious upwardly mobile "ideas fountain".

Also, this, from the same archive, is an ABSOLUTE GEM:

3564743_Screenshot2021-05-15at08_13_34.thumb.png.ceaf6c4f1bf767590df4019b5ab71cfd.png

Cheers Rob.

I have always though it was Richard Gould and had a bit of a dislike of him because of this for years.

My memory is obviously as addled as I believe it to be!

Much happier with this appointment now.

15 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

When Richard Gould walked into Surrey CC in 2011 they were on the brink of administration. Now if you took the TV rights away they would be on a par with PL football.

I went on a tour of the Oval in 2019, a gift from someone who knew I had an interest in cricket but clearly no idea who I supported, but it was a great day out.

Even my non-sporty wife enjoyed it, it was well organised and we got to see pretty much everything you would want to, even though it was actually a match day.

I was struck by how well things had been modernised whilst retaining all the traditional elements from their history.

If that's an example of how he created a commercial environment to generate income, then welcome back Richard. 

PS: I will try to keep the criticism of your dad to a minimum for a while. :)

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I went on a tour of the Oval in 2019, a gift from someone who knew I had an interest in cricket but clearly no idea who I supported, but it was a great day out.

Even my non-sporty wife enjoyed it, it was well organised and we got to see pretty much everything you would want to, even though it was actually a match day.

I was struck by how well things had been modernised whilst retaining all the traditional elements from their history.

If that's an example of how he created a commercial environment to generate income, then welcome back Richard. 

PS: I will try to keep the criticism of your dad to a minimum for a while. :)

And just remembered he led the opposition to the 100 (although poss in part only because Surrey were doing ok out of the Blast anyway). Still that makes him alright for me!

19 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It says he was Commercial Director from June 2001. Did he have another role here before that, because the Wembley trip was in 2000.

So he’s being criticised on here for things that took place over a year before he joined us? Priceless! 

13 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Have i missed something. why employee Mr Gould?.

What is his job description ?? i think this appointment is  more money wasted that can be better spent on building a better team.

We have now a senior manager  / head coach with some accurate and proffesional expectations that will bring the club forward forward next season to be a driving force in the league.

But  alas the BCFC Board are still on a different planet in appointing people in high executive positions that demand stupid salaries.

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

What is his job description ?? i think this appointment is  more money wasted that can be better spent on building a better team.

We have now a senior manager  / head coach with some accurate and proffesional expectations that will bring the club forward forward next season to be a driving force in the league.

But  alas the BCFC Board are still on a different planet in appointing people in high executive positions that demand stupid salaries.

I couldn’t disagree more 

11 minutes ago, City oz said:

You have to have someone run the non-playing part of the football operation.  When we see 21/22s accounts in 18/21 months time, expect to see a big reduction in Director remuneration….£540k less.

No idea what Gould will be on, but I’m sure it will be much more in line with a company with £16/17m turnover, and possibly representative of not having to be too involved, if at all, in player recruitment.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

well we have all ready got rugby playing at our cherished ground. What next Cricket ??

Already been done!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You have to have someone run the non-playing part of the football operation.  When we see 21/22s accounts in 18/21 months time, expect to see a big reduction in Director remuneration….£540k less.

No idea what Gould will be on, but I’m sure it will be much more in line with a company with £16/17m turnover, and possibly representative of not having to be too involved, if at all, in player recruitment.

Already been done!

When we see 21/22s accounts in 18/21 months time, expect to see a big reduction in Director remuneration….£540k less. 

OMG what a waste of money. The likes of Bob Boyd may he RIP would turn in his grave if he new what was going on. 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

When we see 21/22s accounts in 18/21 months time, expect to see a big reduction in Director remuneration….£540k less. 

OMG what a waste of money. The likes of Bob Boyd may he RIP would turn in his grave if he new what was going on. 

I’d be interested in @headhunter’s view as to what he thinks Gould might be on.  £150-200k?

27 minutes ago, City oz said:

I think Pearson already has enough on his plate without having to worry about managing the commercial operation as well! 

34 minutes ago, City oz said:

Yeah you've missed a massive part

Gould has been brought in to run the business side of the club, a non football role but essential in the running of a football club these days.

Football clubs at our level are a multi million pound business and a top CEO is needed to run things like any other company.

The mistake we did was to let Ashton control the football side of things too, Gould will run the company, not the football side of things..

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’d be interested in @headhunter’s view as to what he thinks Gould might be on.  £150-200k?

Dave, it is what it is mate. unfortunately they get paid the salary for the first year with clauses and if they do a crap job they still walk with a big fat wallet. I hope he does well but I still think the board are above the clouds and need to come down to earth in regards to what staetments they make and who they appoint.

The bread and butter of the club is like of you and your son and the other great supporters that turn up week in and  week out. I know every City supporter does not worry about spending a few quid as long as the club is going in a positive direction. But when you see appointments that possibly are not justified and salaries the likes of us on here can only dream about upsets me.

6 minutes ago, M.D said:

Yeah you've missed a massive part

Gould has been brought in to run the business side of the club, a non football role but essential in the running of a football club these days.

Football clubs at our level are a multi million pound business and a top CEO is needed to run things like any other company.

The mistake we did was to let Ashton control the football side of things too, Gould will run the company, not the football side of things..

And Mr Gould is the man to fix this ???

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

And Mr Gould is the man to fix this ???

Well I hope so and so does the Lansdown's by appointing him.

He has a proven track record as a CEO of sports clubs running the business side of things but not the sporting side.

As a multi million  pound company, Bristol City need a CEO to run the business side of the club but ill also need good football people running the football side of the club.

The club is two things, a football club and a large business, you need the best people in the right positions to run both sides..

Archived