IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

1 minute ago, M.D said:

Well I hope so and so does the Lansdown's by appointing him.

He has a proven track record as a CEO of sports clubs running the business side of things but not the sporting side.

As a multi millón pound company, Bristol City need a CEO to run the business side of the club but ill also need good football people running the football side of the club.

The club is two things, a football club and a large business, you need the best people in the right positions to run both sides..

I appreciate what you are saying. However how can you compare the Kia oval to Ashton Gate and the higher profile of a championship team which brings far higher net working and lucrative possible business deals.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

I appreciate what you are saying. However how can you compare the Kia oval to Ashton Gate and the higher profile of a championship team which brings far higher net working and lucrative possible business deals.

Of course you can, if he is the best person to take control of the business side of Bristol City FC then so be it.

The club is changing IMHO and we are now bringing in the best people we can get to do the jobs they are best suited too, football and business wise.

They say the best teams are built from the back, we are now building from the very back and thats getting the best staff we can, I like what we are doing now for the first time in a long while..

17 minutes ago, City oz said:

Not sure City are significantly higher profile than international cricket. 

50 minutes ago, City oz said:

Dave, it is what it is mate. unfortunately they get paid the salary for the first year with clauses and if they do a crap job they still walk with a big fat wallet. I hope he does well but I still think the board are above the clouds and need to come down to earth in regards to what staetments they make and who they appoint.

The bread and butter of the club is like of you and your son and the other great supporters that turn up week in and  week out. I know every City supporter does not worry about spending a few quid as long as the club is going in a positive direction. But when you see appointments that possibly are not justified and salaries the likes of us on here can only dream about upsets me.

Suspect it would be a much more normal employment contract rather than a manager or player contract. Notice period, etc, etc, rather than payoff.  @headhuntercan advise.

For info, Surrey’s turnover was £45m last year, City and AG Ltd combined was £30m.  Gould is just CEO of City a £16/17m turnover business, so worth bearing in mind.

11 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not sure City are significantly higher profile than international cricket. 

No indeed, especially when you consider the Oval hosts Ashes test matches - a hugely high profile event in world sport, not just cricket.

Gould's willingness to leave a much higher profile role, and one based in London for that matter, for Championship football in the provinces indicates one thing to me - he's been convinced of the owner's vision and determination for Premier League football.

You could argue that appointing Pearson was a serious statement of intent and that persuading the CEO of Surrey CCC to come on board too only backs this up even more.

If Pearson can get hold of a quality Head of Recruitment we might just be ready to rock n roll. 

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

When he appointed Nigel Pearson a few months ago. I think he has seen the light. 

I admit I was thinking of Pearson as I wrote that question.  And I would have got away with it if it wasn't for you @pongo88?

But I really don't believe SL has "seen the light".  He doesn't treat BCFC like any other business.  Football, of course, is not like any other business, but some of the core fundamentals of a business still apply.

Recruit the best people to meet the business strategy you have set.

Is Pearson a head coach or a manager?  What happened to the five pillars?  What happened to youth promotion?

SL isn't running BCFC.  He's just got it as a puppy for his kiddie.

Perhaps Richard Gould can be a grown-up in the room?

What does the CEO at BC do? Do they cover everything, both football and commercial? I've felt a bit confused reading about Ashton in the last couple of months on here with him being CEO but seemingly in charge of all the football stuff, seems strange.

We have CEO to lead the club operations and represent the club at PL etc but the football ops are down to the DoF, Manager, Head of Recruitment etc

2 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

What does the CEO at BC do? Do they cover everything, both football and commercial? I've felt a bit confused reading about Ashton in the last couple of months on here with him being CEO but seemingly in charge of all the football stuff, seems strange.

We have CEO to lead the club operations and represent the club at PL etc but the football ops are down to the DoF, Manager, Head of Recruitment etc

Ashton did everything.

Looks like we are heading for a similar model to yourselves.

4 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

When he was appointed the club announced he was in charge of all football operations. He was not qualified for that, though he thinks he is and it seems Steve Lansdown agreed.

For such a successful businessman Steve can remarkably gullible it seems.

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No indeed, especially when you consider the Oval hosts Ashes test matches - a hugely high profile event in world sport, not just cricket.

Gould's willingness to leave a much higher profile role, and one based in London for that matter, for Championship football in the provinces indicates one thing to me - he's been convinced of the owner's vision and determination for Premier League football.

You could argue that appointing Pearson was a serious statement of intent and that persuading the CEO of Surrey CCC to come on board too only backs this up even more.

If Pearson can get hold of a quality Head of Recruitment we might just be ready to rock n roll. 

What was interesting to me too was the reaction from Surrey fans, which was uniformly one of disappointment & thanks for what he did there.

Compare & contrast with the reaction here to the departure of the permatanned Noddy Holder soundalike..

6 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

It’s not very transparent, because in effect we have two businesses operating in the football space.  Bristol City FC Ltd and Ashton Gate Ltd.  Mark Ashton (and Gould I suspect) was only be responsible for BCFC, not Stadium stuff, where Mark Kelly was the main man.  Obviously Rugby use stadium too.

There is a Commercial Dept that sits under Bristol Sport too.

There was a piece in BP that said MA introduced new revenue streams to BCFC….I think that was a load of old tosh personally, because football incomes haven’t increased!  If the BP were referring to sleeve sponsors and digital advert boards during the cup runs, then they want to refer back to a story they wrote previously showing who came up with those ideas.  Ashton likes to take credit for others work!

And you hit the nail on the head.  He’s a wannabe footballer.  A good administrator, but not “football enough” to play the power role he created for himself.  He was at the centre of everything, and therefore a lot of accountability rests on his shoulder for the recent failures.

It looks as if City are moving towards CEO and DOF set-up….something many of us have posted about for 2-3 years.  Lansdown left MA alone in the sweet shop and it’s put us back 3 years.

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

When he was appointed the club announced he was in charge of all football operations. He was not qualified for that, though he thinks he is and it seems Steve Lansdown agreed.

For such a successful businessman Steve can remarkably gullible it seems.

What was telling for me was the quick move of MA from COO (when first here) to CEO, and how people left BCFC roles (DoF, Scouts, etc) to accommodate that self-created new role….and facilitate him appointing his relation into Head of Operations.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Have i missed something. why employee Mr Gould?.

What is his job description ?? i think this appointment is  more money wasted that can be better spent on building a better team.

We have now a senior manager  / head coach with some accurate and proffesional expectations that will bring the club forward forward next season to be a driving force in the league.

But  alas the BCFC Board are still on a different planet in appointing people in high executive positions that demand stupid salaries.

We aspire to be a Premier League club. Look at the structure of your standard Premier League club - it will include CEO, Head of recruitment, Manager, and I dare say a Director of Football too. We're simply looking to replicate most of that and in doing so become fit for purpose, just for a change. 

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Suspect it would be a much more normal employment contract rather than a manager or player contract. Notice period, etc, etc, rather than payoff.  @headhuntercan advise.

For info, Surrey’s turnover was £45m last year, City and AG Ltd combined was £30m.  Gould is just CEO of City a £16/17m turnover business, so worth bearing in mind.

The role that Gould would have aspired to had he stayed in cricket would be CEO of the ECB and that job holder at present is Tom Harrison who last year earned £700k, an uplift of £100k on the previous year due to setting up the 100 competition

My instinct tells me that the minimum for Gould would be £250k and a max of £500k which would put him on a par with Ashton. If it is at the lower end of that range it would reflect Gould's lack of football experience and free up cash  to hire a quality director of football.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

And Mr Gould is the man to fix this ???

His CV would suggest so yes. A quality CEO will run the business day to day. As suggested we will have a DOF or head of recruitment coming in that will oversee the football side. The problem we had with Ashton was he was a wannabe DOF as well but he was out of his depth. RG will have no say in the playing side. 

11 hours ago, headhunter said:

The role that Gould would have aspired to had he stayed in cricket would be CEO of the ECB and that job holder at present is Tom Harrison who last year earned £700k, an uplift of £100k on the previous year due to setting up the 100 competition

My instinct tells me that the minimum for Gould would be £250k and a max of £500k which would put him on a par with Ashton. If it is at the lower end of that range it would reflect Gould's lack of football experience and free up cash  to hire a quality director of football.

He should have been docked money for that idea

On 15/05/2021 at 12:54, headhunter said:

He didn't want that 100 tournament in cricket and was very vocal in his resistance of it

On 15/05/2021 at 12:01, Davefevs said:

Pretty impressive turnover that for Surrey,I think we have the right man in place for the business side.If he can lift the turnover to anything near that we will be cooking on gas but we need better success on the football side to combine that. A fresh new team and fresh approach from all.

1 minute ago, Hxj said:

Not sure the appointment really makes sense to me, unless this is a role across Bristol Sport, particularly given the redevopments at The Oval and at Ashton Gate.

Why ? 
He’s been brought in to run the business side of the club day to day. SL isn’t hands on anymore & Jon is obviously not cut out or doesn’t want to be involved .

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Why ? 
He’s been brought in to run the business side of the club day to day. SL isn’t hands on anymore & Jon is obviously not cut out or doesn’t want to be involved .

Suspect all will become clearer over coming weeks.  Announcement of Gould on Retained List day meant a brief announcement.  Expect we will know more over coming weeks, and whether there is any cut-across either Ashton Gate Ltd or Bristol Sport.

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s been brought in to run the business side of the club day to day.

Most of the income of the club is pre-determined, not sure I can see much interest or excitement in meddling in "other matchday income" or beefing up ticket prices.  In reality the club is small fry in business terms.

There's much more to add on the commercial side, particularly the skills and experience gained in the revelopment and management of a complex sporting commercial estate.

11 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Most of the income of the club is pre-determined, not sure I can see much interest or excitement in meddling in "other matchday income" or beefing up ticket prices.  In reality the club is small fry in business terms.

There's much more to add on the commercial side, particularly the skills and experience gained in the revelopment and management of a complex sporting commercial estate.

Yes, and you wonder whether the Bristol Sport / Arena complex stuff might be part of the attraction.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, and you wonder whether the Bristol Sport / Arena complex stuff might be part of the attraction.

But that is Bristol Sport...not the football club.  Martin Griffiths is heading up the sporting quarter and is highly qualified to do so.

The attraction to Gould must be the potential to be a Premier League CEO and the kudos and money that comes with that.

Plus he still lives in Somerset and has two children at Bristol Uni I believe. So there's a convenience factor too. 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But that is Bristol Sport...not the football club.  Martin Griffiths is heading up the sporting quarter and is highly qualified to do so.

The attraction to Gould must be the potential to be a Premier League CEO and the kudos and money that comes with that.

Plus he still lives in Somerset and has two children at Bristol Uni I believe. So there's a convenience factor too. 

Yeah, I get that it’s Bristol Sport.  Is Martin more the “building / construction” expert and Mark Kelly the operational side?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I get that it’s Bristol Sport.  Is Martin more the “building / construction” expert and Mark Kelly the operational side?

I guess you could say that, yes. Martin oversaw the AG redevelopment (very successfully imo) and has a background in hotels. I went to the first presser on the sporting quarter at the Sports Bar and Martin presented and fielded questions. 

43 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh dear, all we need is another fantisist! ???

Archived