IGNORED

Richard Gould - New CEO

headhunter

I watched his interview with Atherton earlier.

He comes over really well. Obviously an experienced CEO in cricket and chuckled when Atherton said he didn’t see him moving to Bristol City as a promotion........RG said that he was ‘going home’ and joked that he was going to give Atherton's email to Bristol City fans.......

I have to say that I was impressed. Hopefully he’ll be just as impressive here at AG.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I watched his interview with Atherton earlier.

He comes over really well. Obviously an experienced CEO in cricket and chuckled when Atherton said he didn’t see him moving to Bristol City as a promotion........RG said that he was ‘going home’ and joked that he was going to give Atherton's email to Bristol City fans.......

I have to say that I was impressed. Hopefully he’ll be just as impressive here at AG.

Blimey, bit touchy, "Athers" ? He's only a bloody administrator, it's not like we're signing Monte Lynch. Or Geoff Arnold.

24 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Blimey, bit touchy, "Athers" ? He's only a bloody administrator, it's not like we're signing Monte Lynch. Or Geoff Arnold.

Yet more condescending, negative comments about Bristol from the arch bore Atherton.

Apologies, I got that wrong - the arch bore and ball tampering cheat Atherton. That's better.

Very sniffy about Glos on commentary during the Shire's demolition of the useless Middlesex at Lords recently. Tw*t. I nearly wrote a stiff letter to the Times in mock outrage.  

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

Thanks for posting a link.

Gould speaks very well. He must get it from his mother.

We have a media friendly CEO who will prove popular, I shouldn't wonder. Polar opposite of his predecessor.

We now appear to have a Manager, Chief Suit, and Magic Sponge man who are all fit for purpose. Will wonders never cease?

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yet more condescending, negative comments about Bristol from the arch bore Atherton.

Apologies, I got that wrong - the arch bore and ball tampering cheat Atherton. That's better.

Very sniffy about Glos on commentary during the Shire's demolition of the useless Middlesex at Lords recently. Tw*t. I nearly wrote a stiff letter to the Times in mock outrage.  

When it comes to cricket Atherton is an arrogant arsehole. If you don’t support Lancashire, Yorkshire, Middlesex,Surrey or Kent then you’re an also ran.

Clever guy tho, well educated at Cambridge University with a degree in history.. Top batsman in his day.

I actually qui like him on Sky. He has a very dry sense of humour and clearly knows his stuff.

On 16/05/2021 at 20:44, Kid in the Riot said:

I guess you could say that, yes. Martin oversaw the AG redevelopment (very successfully imo) and has a background in hotels. I went to the first presser on the sporting quarter at the Sports Bar and Martin presented and fielded questions. 

Pretty sure Mark Kelly's background is in hotels/conferencing too. 

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Really good article with the views of a couple of people we can trust, in Richard Latham & Adam Baker.

Gould’s record elsewhere is excellent, the fact that this article explicitly states that he knows what is NOT his role, is really good to read.

Looks a smart appointment, let’s face it, he gets off to a pretty decent start just by not being Mark Ashton, but think there is more to be positive about than just that.

17 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thanks for the link Jerseybean. The difference between Richard and his predecessor is so chalk and cheese. As on the medical side with Dave Rennie, the football with Nigel Pearson, we appear to have recruited a consumate professional to manage the non football side of our club.

Better times ahead? We have given ourselves a real opportunity at last!  

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Yet still the EP persist with referring to Ashton as an ex-pro footballer 

Incredible isn’t it. 
They continue to excuse the presence of the CEO in the dressing room prior to matches, simply because he “used to be a pro footballer”, even though he was only ever a youth at WBA and never made a single appearance. 
The man’s fraud continues, assisted by the local media. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Really good article with the views of a couple of people we can trust, in Richard Latham & Adam Baker.

Gould’s record elsewhere is excellent, the fact that this article explicitly states that he knows what is NOT his role, is really good to read.

Looks a smart appointment, let’s face it, he gets off to a pretty decent start just by not being Mark Ashton, but think there is more to be positive about than just that.

The thing is though his record at Somerset and Surrey is as a commercial director. It's one thing getting flats built at Somerset, or maximising off-field revenue at Surrey and doubling their membership, it's a completely different job to manage a squad budget, negotiate with agents, players, their families etc and sign players for a football club.

I've still yet to be convinced this is the perfect fit that some are making out.

And, I am absolutely certain that when the opportunity arises we will still be after a proper Director of Football, or some kind of footballing CEO.

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The thing is though his record at Somerset and Surrey is as a commercial director. It's one thing getting flats built at Somerset, or maximising off-field revenue at Surrey and doubling their membership, it's a completely different job to manage a squad budget, negotiate with agents, players, their families etc and sign players for a football club.

I've still yet to be convinced this is the perfect fit that some are making out.

And, I am absolutely certain that when the opportunity arises we will still be after a proper Director of Football, or some kind of footballing CEO.

Agree with your last sentence & I genuinely don’t know the answer, but at Surrey say, would he not have had the responsibility for negotiating the contracts of their overseas players like AB De Villiers, Aaron Finch, Dean Elgar?

Lower level than Championship I know, but relevant?

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with your last sentence & I genuinely don’t know the answer, but at Surrey say, would he not have had the responsibility for negotiating the contracts of their overseas players like AB De Villiers, Aaron Finch, Dean Elgar?

Lower level than Championship I know, but relevant?

I've yet to read anything that suggests he signed players at either club. Either way, don't think signing an overseas player or two a year is comparable in any way to the crazy football transfer market. 

The concern is that we are leaving the deals to a bit of a novice, and with Pearson not wanting any involvement, we are again increasingly reliant on the input of Jon and Steve. 

We can only hope Pearson is still very much in charge of who comes through the door and Gould can learn quickly and build up the contacts and relationships needed to get deals done quickly. 

Gould's inexperience in this particular area and "nice guy" reputation just concerns me a little - don't forget, he'll be up against sharks like Mr Ashton. 

• SC&T Board Members
4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Pretty sure Mark Kelly's background is in hotels/conferencing too. 

That is correct. They both worked together previously in that sector and have overseen - and continue to oversee - the redevelopment projects. It is very much their area of expertise and it shows that when senior people with the right skills and background are employed the outcomes will more than likely be success.

10 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

That is correct. They both worked together previously in that sector and have overseen - and continue to oversee - the redevelopment projects. It is very much their area of expertise and it shows that when senior people with the right skills and background are employed the outcomes will more than likely be success.

I wonder what the current state of play with the Sporting Quarter is. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Incredible isn’t it. 
They continue to excuse the presence of the CEO in the dressing room prior to matches, simply because he “used to be a pro footballer”, even though he was only ever a youth at WBA and never made a single appearance. 
The man’s fraud continues, assisted by the local media. 

Repeat the same lie over and over and it becomes the truth.

Archived