IGNORED

Summer Rebuild - Too Much to Do?

Coppello

With the retained list being released today, I've seen a lot of comments about how pleasing it is to have a clear out and it is going to be an exciting summer. Over the past 20 years (probably significantly further back than that), we've had limited success in our appointment of personnel in key roles like the Manager, Chief Executive or people within the recruitment team. We've struggled to make individual appointments in the past but this summer we need to have a revolution. Am I the only person who is a little apprehensive of this overhaul? 

Today we've made a positive step in recruiting a new CEO but we also need a Director of Football or Head of Recruitment to push on with our work in the transfer market. The backroom team will need to quickly work on objectives, work with Pearson on a recruitment strategy, formulate a budget, identify targets and start negotiating with clubs and the player's agents. Whilst there is half a recruitment team in situ, their work could be torn up when the new backroom staff are appointed. 

Although our squad currently play like 11 strangers who have never met and cannot speak the same language, any players we bring in are going to need time to gel. If we sign 7 or 8 players, it could take a while for them to settle. Based on our performances in the second half of the season, all of these signings are going to have to be significantly better than the players we currently have contracted if we want to avoid flirting with relegation. I do wonder if it was wise to let stronger personalities such as Paterson go without even offering him a contract? It has been a bit of a running joke on OTIB about signing players of the right 'DNA' but are we starting to see the effects of signing bad eggs? From the player's social media posts several years ago, it was clear to see that there was a contingent of players who were best mates but from my limited presence on social media it hasn't felt like this for quite a while.  

It is exciting to have a clear out but I don't think we've ever had a complete overhaul like this. Almost all of the appointments need to be right in order to stop the club from regressing. We've got a lot to do and need to get a wriggle on or I'll be the first to paint Richard Gould on my bedsheets to hang outside Ashton Gate. If he gets it right, my preference will change from Thatchers Haze to Gauld.

Lot's to do admittedly but, as far as player recruitments goes, I'm sure that Pearson will have had a lot of input so far and targets already contacted, I believe he's already stated that work is well under way on that front. Otherwise we wouldn't be getting feedback from agents according to Harry on another topic. 

A head of recruitment/DOF is more of a long term position, for future recruitments, not to say it wouldn't be useful here and now.

To be honest I am looking forward to a transfer window for the first time, without worrying about what’s  coming through the door ?because the CEO says so. 
A respected manager with clear ideas of his own not a yes man ! Hopefully exciting times ahead 

Anyone who thinks this rebuild will happen in one season is in for a shock. 

As NP has indicated this is going to need 2-3 years and several windows to get players in - and that's before we've bedded in new backroom staff, DoF etc. 

Re-building the club, like any business will take time.

Building a winning club could take even longer. 

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

With the retained list being released today, I've seen a lot of comments about how pleasing it is to have a clear out and it is going to be an exciting summer. Over the past 20 years (probably significantly further back than that), we've had limited success in our appointment of personnel in key roles like the Manager, Chief Executive or people within the recruitment team. We've struggled to make individual appointments in the past but this summer we need to have a revolution. Am I the only person who is a little apprehensive of this overhaul? 

Today we've made a positive step in recruiting a new CEO but we also need a Director of Football or Head of Recruitment to push on with our work in the transfer market. The backroom team will need to quickly work on objectives, work with Pearson on a recruitment strategy, formulate a budget, identify targets and start negotiating with clubs and the player's agents. Whilst there is half a recruitment team in situ, their work could be torn up when the new backroom staff are appointed. 

Although our squad currently play like 11 strangers who have never met and cannot speak the same language, any players we bring in are going to need time to gel. If we sign 7 or 8 players, it could take a while for them to settle. Based on our performances in the second half of the season, all of these signings are going to have to be significantly better than the players we currently have contracted if we want to avoid flirting with relegation. I do wonder if it was wise to let stronger personalities such as Paterson go without even offering him a contract? It has been a bit of a running joke on OTIB about signing players of the right 'DNA' but are we starting to see the effects of signing bad eggs? From the player's social media posts several years ago, it was clear to see that there was a contingent of players who were best mates but from my limited presence on social media it hasn't felt like this for quite a while.  

It is exciting to have a clear out but I don't think we've ever had a complete overhaul like this. Almost all of the appointments need to be right in order to stop the club from regressing. We've got a lot to do and need to get a wriggle on or I'll be the first to paint Richard Gould on my bedsheets to hang outside Ashton Gate. If he gets it right, my preference will change from Thatchers Haze to Gauld.

Probably why Pearson said it’ll take 3 years to get the club ready for a tilt at promotion 

You only have to look at Forest last season, what looked a fantastic load of signings and really strong squad, but took a long time to gel and I think we will be the same. Sure fans will be getting restless by xmas, but have total faith in NP to get it right long term

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You only have to look at Forest last season, what looked a fantastic load of signings and really strong squad, but took a long time to gel and I think we will be the same. Sure fans will be getting restless by xmas, but have total faith in NP to get it right long term

Very true but I’d hope we do not go down that route. I’d rather we get quality in.

We still have 15 first team players contracted to us at the minute. That does not include the likes of Scott, Pring, Bell and Pearson who have featured for us this season. I’d be looking at 4-6 that I anticipate to start for us. That would take us to 19-21 first team players and allow the youth to fill any gaps in there. Could be risky with injuries but we are all hoping that is addressed this summer as well

2 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if potential targets were made some time ago and deals have been struck already 

Since when has Bristol City ever done this?!  Would love it to happen though! 

2 hours ago, Coppello said:

I think the season we got promoted from L1, we brought in quite a lot of players in the summer and worked on bonding the squad 

it didn’t work out too badly did it?

1 hour ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Anyone who thinks this rebuild will happen in one season is in for a shock. 

As NP has indicated this is going to need 2-3 years and several windows to get players in - and that's before we've bedded in new backroom staff, DoF etc. 

Re-building the club, like any business will take time.

Building a winning club could take even longer. 

Who knows, it may be a masterclass by NP and he works wonders next season. We could be super fit, minimal injuries and the 5-6 signings he makes all click 

we just don’t know!

A lot of luck, hard work and working as a close knit group may just achieve what we all want

After all, Leicester achieved the impossible ?

29 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Who knows, it may be a masterclass by NP and he works wonders next season. We could be super fit, minimal injuries and the 5-6 signings he makes all click 

we just don’t know!

A lot of luck, hard work and working as a close knit group may just achieve what we all want

After all, Leicester achieved the impossible ?

Yeah..... At 5000/1......

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

It is exciting to have a clear out but I don't think we've ever had a complete overhaul like this. Almost all of the appointments need to be right in order to stop the club from regressing. We've got a lot to do and need to get a wriggle on or I'll be the first to paint Richard Gould on my bedsheets to hang outside Ashton Gate. If he gets it right, my preference will change fro Thatchers Haze to Gauld.

Can't believe you want to keep Paterson! ?

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I want to know what system Nige plans on using.

Gregor suggested the 343 the 23s went with today might indicate that's how Nige wants to go with the first team. 

I disagree with that. You surely don't sign Danny Simpson as a wing back.

4-2-3-1. Hence not looking for a striker.

"Too much to do" depends on what your objective is.

I think the priorities are 1. Cut the wage bill, 2. Cultivate a smaller, more motivated squad, 3. Improve on 19th position in 2021-22.

Providing we don't have an injury crisis of biblical proportions (again), that should be achievable with a former Premier League manager!

There is certainly a lot to do, and it is a damning indictment of how things have been run over the last few years that this type of revolution is needed. 

After the club’s stated aims of achieving the play offs over the last few years, it’ll be interesting to hear what the board say about their expectations are for next season. The play offs feel a million miles away. For me, progress would involve a sense of team spirit re-emerging, signs that our recruitment is following a plan, players like Massengo establishing themselves further and some sort of identity to our play. And actually creating some chances. As long as we’re not embroiled in a relegation battle, I really don’t care about league position next season. 

6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Can't believe you want to keep Paterson! ?

I agree that he blows hot and cold but I do think many fans have a slightly warped view of what the ability of a creative midfielder for a mid table Championship club is. There's very few midfielders in this division whose average level of performance is similar to Paterson at his best. Players that are able to keep up that level of performance over a season are in the Premier League. If Lee Tomlin played at his best each week, he would be playing for a top 10 Premier League side.

As we're currently struggling to even get a bench together and he seems very keen to want to stay, he's worth a two year extension in my view. Ripping the side apart and rebuilding with another squad is not going to be easy and a process of evolution as opposed to revolution can provide some stability.  

21 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I agree that he blows hot and cold but I do think many fans have a slightly warped view of what the ability of a creative midfielder for a mid table Championship club is. There's very few midfielders in this division whose average level of performance is similar to Paterson at his best. Players that are able to keep up that level of performance over a season are in the Premier League. If Lee Tomlin played at his best each week, he would be playing for a top 10 Premier League side.

As we're currently struggling to even get a bench together and he seems very keen to want to stay, he's worth a two year extension in my view. Ripping the side apart and rebuilding with another squad is not going to be easy and a process of evolution as opposed to revolution can provide some stability.  

He’s mainly been between tepid and cold, it’s been very rare that he’s been hot at all. He’s not good enough and has been a symptom of our malaise over the last few years for me. Amazing when on it but just not good enough in the vast majority.  Wish him no ill at all and wish him luck but glad he’s gone tbh. Happy to be proven wrong but can’t see him ripping it up on a regular basis now he’s left. 

8 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see at the beginning of next season? 

The rebuild is going to take three years - possibly even taking a fourth season - thus NP's contract. 

Next season is a likely to be a very bumpy ride I'd think. 

NP said 3 seasons my take on that is season 1 stay up anything else a bonus for me 

I can see 8 signings (including Weimann and Simpson).  

Then maybe a bit of one in one out on loan or swaps to move out players NP doesn't want and cover gaps.  Dependent on where NP sees Vyner's position either a CB, RB & CDM, RB & 2 CBs or CDM & 2 x CBs.  Plus a target man and 2 wide players. One of Nurse or Pring surely will be back up to JD.  We have a number of young forwards so maybe just a matter of replacing Fam?  

11 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Sigh. We’ve been three years away from promotion for thirty years.

True but i would like to give NP the chance with his own team in place it cant be much worse than the drizzling shits i have watched this season 

Archived