IGNORED

Longest serving player

Unan

Just now, BigTone said:

Why ? That makes no sense to exclude

Because any player via our academy will be our longest serving. Unless we have a very young academy player and another player on our books who’s been with us for many many years.

Anyway, it’s my question, I’ll do what I want ? 

53 minutes ago, Banned User said:

COD? Then who, Wiemann?

There’s  not one player in that squad now i have a particular affinity with, no really good times with any of them, sad.

You say now like any of the ones we’ve just let go were responsible for good times ? all been responsible for terrible football for 3 years. 

Vyner or O'Leary in terms of days/years with the club. Probably O'Dowda, in terms of number of appearances - I think he's on around 140.

Appearances was Korey Smith until he left last year. Until released I suspect it was Fam - who has finished on something like 170. Weimann and Kalas are both near, or around 100 appearances. Starts to drop off pretty quickly after that.

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

Who cares?

Louis Carey was our longest serving player.

He was average at best.

Broke the appearance record with the clubs help. Never deserved it.

Tin hat firmly on.

That is extremely harsh to say he was average at best.  Personally he is one of my favourite players since I started watching city.

Was a very good defender but more importantly was a great leader and put everything in even on the pitch. Dont forget the collapse that players like Fontaine had after Carey was taken out  of the team.  

Out of curiosity what CB would you rate above him from the last 20 or so years? I would only say Webster and Caulker looked like he had the world at his feet. Then I think we have had a few that are on par

9 hours ago, Banned User said:

Because any player via our academy will be our longest serving. Unless we have a very young academy player and another player on our books who’s been with us for many many years.

Anyway, it’s my question, I’ll do what I want ? 

So where do you draw the line ? 

57 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So where do you draw the line ? 

I think @Silvio Dante nails it. I’d probably still argue players like Bell don’t count, as he played 25 minutes and probably won’t get another cap for a few years. Maybe x amount of minutes for the first team? Whatever criteria you use, someone can always play devils advocate and be awkward.

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

To settle the academy argument - as otherwise it does get silly.

We should define the longest serving player from the date they first appeared in a match day 18. New signings tend to hit that immediately, and academy when ready.

Least that’s what I think!

A little part of me dies inside to learn that COD has been at City longer than almost anyone. What a depressing thought if he is your "continuity" player and figurehead in the squad. Not being unkind to him, he has his moments, but a completely generic footballer who blends into the background and will always want to play second fiddle to others.

I don't know enough about Williams, he was certainly always combative on the pitch, but who is going to get the dressing room together off the pitch? I hope NP is having a word in someone's ear to ask them to work on it. But who? I can't think of Kalas doing it, he seems too quiet and his tone recently suggests he's as depressed as the rest of us.

9 hours ago, Superjack said:

Who cares?

He was average at best.

Tin hat firmly on.

How can you say Carey was average at best? He had his limitations, but he was very good at being a tough defender. Something we have seriously lacked. One of the best leaders of men city have had. 

I think it’s extremely harsh to class somebody who has made the amount of appearances he has, as average at best. 

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

That is extremely harsh to say he was average at best.  Personally he is one of my favourite players since I started watching city.

Was a very good defender but more importantly was a great leader and put everything in even on the pitch. Dont forget the collapse that players like Fontaine had after Carey was taken out  of the team.  

Out of curiosity what CB would you rate above him from the last 20 or so years? I would only say Webster and Caulker looked like he had the world at his feet. Then I think we have had a few that are on par

I also loved Carey as you can tell. 

Decent on the ball as well which wasn’t necessarily something too many CB’s in Champ/League 1 had back then. 

The season we stayed up in 2012 was largely because Carey came back into the side & created a strong partnership with Andre Bikey. 

His performance coupled with Gerkens heroics at Forest away when we won 1-0 the pick of the bunch.

Occasionally gets disrespected on here with posts like that & I just don’t understand why it needs to happen. It come out of nowhere & attacks a bloke who gave his all for us many times. 

14 hours ago, Banned User said:

COD? Then who, Wiemann?

There’s  not one player in that squad now i have a particular affinity with, no really good times with any of them, sad.

some of the greats with longevity for me would be Trevor Tainton, Gerry Sweeney and sticks Tom Ritchie 

5 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Caulker was immense for an 18 year old,straight into the championship like an old hand. Nearly deserving of legendary status solely for that late goal at QPR that caused the Warnock meltdown ?

22 hours ago, Superjack said:

Who cares?

He was average at best.

Tin hat firmly on.

I take the point that Louis made the most appearances for the club, but many of those, particularly towards the end of his career, were as a sub.  If you take minutes on the pitch as your criteria, then John Atyeo would be by far our longest serving player, despite making one less appearance than Louis.

10 hours ago, Malago said:

I take the point that Louis made the most appearances for the club, but many of those, particularly towards the end of his career, were as a sub.  If you take minutes on the pitch as your criteria, then John Atyeo would be by far our longest serving player, despite making one less appearance than Louis.

IMO, John Atyeo is our player with the most appearances. All of his matches were starts because no subs in his day.

Louis Carey comes next but it is farcical that he has the lead - a two minute sub just to give him one more than Atyeo, plus other sub appearances throughout his career.

Archived