IGNORED

And here lies the problem (well part of it at least)

Davefevs

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

On this particular point that I have quoted I think you see it in the graph. Brentford and Norwich sit plum in the centre. The graph suggests, although does not confirm, that these teams have a nice balance to their play, and a re able to be flexible in their approach. Thus they don't sit as an outlier, even though they are clearly adept at gathering points. My biggest draw from this particular graph is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat, and multiple ways to cock up said skinning of said feline.

In order to get out of this division in the correct way we need to figure out a style, or a method that works for the players we have - and get good at it.  That is different than copying Brentford, or Barnsley, or Watford. If we can do that, and execute it consistently across 46 games (or even across 30 if those 30 are very very good) then we stand a real chance of a top 6 finish. Far easier written than done of course, but that's why I am a muppet on a forum and not a part of Nigel's coaching team.

Otherwise, I agree with pretty much all that you wrote, and I have made no secret of my admiration of Barnsley this season or last, they took what they were good at in 2019/20 and even through a change in management managed to refine and improve it to great effect. Exciting football that was effective against 90% of the other teams in the division.

Barnsley, a perfect example.
Set a strategy in place, recruit players that can play that way.
Change the manager? go and find one that plays the same way as you have been set up previously.
It isn't rocket science, but seems so difficult to put in place. They are a brilliant example.

Archived