IGNORED

FA Cup Final 5:15 today

Jerseybean

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Had almost forgotten that this is today! As a kid this was a huge day for me and much of the nation. Interesting that it’s fallen away so much over the years as a major national event.  

Used to be a 24 hour thing for me as a kid.  FA Cup final mastermind the night before, grandstand on the morning, teams leaving the hotel, etc.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Used to be a 24 hour thing for me as a kid.  FA Cup final mastermind the night before, grandstand on the morning, teams leaving the hotel, etc.

I remember the pre-match on Swap Shop…Ipswich v Arsenal especially for some reason…Cup Final Day was really special in those days. It should have far more respect. 3pm KO

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Recall before the 81 final, John Bond chatting outside the team hotel. Said the players had just had a light breakfast, except Gerry Gow who had raw steak and 6 inch nails...!

RIP Gerry. 

Listening to Radio 5 earlier someone was asking if Leicester won the GA Cup today but lost a league match in mid week and ended up finishing 5th in the Premier, would they accept that?

The implication being that qualifying for the Champions League is more important than winning the FA Cup.

?

48 minutes ago, OneCity said:

This was my saturday for so many years!

For years my Saturday home game ritual would be: up to the Downs in the morning for a kickabout in the nets, pick up fish and chips in Kingsdown which would be consumed while watching the football previews, wash the dried mud off my knees, then off to Ashton Gate.

Back when life was less complicated...

59 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I remember the pre-match on Swap Shop…Ipswich v Arsenal especially for some reason…Cup Final Day was really special in those days. It should have far more respect. 3pm KO

The first cup final I saw.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Vaguely remember Man U v Liverpool 77 . After that it was like everyone else  , full day of it . Me & dad watching all the build up ,  Magical days. The F.A aren’t fit for purpose these days. It’s their completion but its shoehorned between two league games. They pander to the prem. it should be the last game of the season & 3 o’clock 

It should be a stand alone game, 3pm on a Saturday the week after the top league (whatever hey call it) has finished.
The only way it gets it's appeal back at all, is give the winners a Champions League spot. That will stop some of the "big" clubs putting out weaker sides. Wont happen of course. 

First I remember getting excited about, Leeds Vs Chelsea . 
Draw at Wembley, long throws diving headers, isn't it. Just watched this video, have a look it isn't the same game any more. This is brilliant.

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Vaguely remember Man U v Liverpool 77 . After that it was like everyone else  , full day of it . Me & dad watching all the build up ,  Magical days. The F.A aren’t fit for purpose these days. It’s their completion but its shoehorned between two league games. They pander to the prem. it should be the last game of the season & 3 o’clock 

They have moved it back to being after the season (after a few years of it being before end of season) but this year and the congested schedule has caused it to be between fixtures this year. Not sure I get the clamour for 3pm, I quite like the early evening kickoff and the 3pm obsession is just conservatism, not the fact it makes any sense. 

29 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Wearlier someone was asking if Leicester won the GA Cup today but lost a league match in mid week and ended up finishing 5th in the Premier, would they accept that?

The implication being that qualifying for the Champions League is more important than winning the FA Cup.

?

It's annoying when people try to force binary choices in whatever form they dress it up. It's simple, we win today and we win on Tuesday ?

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It should be a stand alone game, 3pm on a Saturday the week after the top league (whatever hey call it) has finished.
The only way it gets it's appeal back at all, is give the winners a Champions League spot. That will stop some of the "big" clubs putting out weaker sides. Wont happen of course. 

First I remember getting excited about, Leeds Vs Chelsea . 
Draw at Wembley, long throws diving headers, isn't it. Just watched this video, have a look it isn't the same game any more. This is brilliant.

Was At Wembley for that one, wanting Leeds to win but stood in the middle of the Chelsea Shed.?

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Don’t we have this thread on cup final day every year?

Would we really want to watch cup final Mastermind, cup final It’s a Knockout, cup final Masterchef, cup final Sewing Bee, cup final X Factor etc etc these days?

I wouldn’t. 

I think you might be missing the point. Which is, this match was previously considered one of the biggest games in world football and was watched the world over. TV coverage was almost 24hrs yet not compulsory. It was nice to have a different feel about the various TV programmes and coverage of the fans as they made their way to the famous old ground via trains, boats and planes and hearing of their experiences. It was a far greater event than the sanitised version now presented to us and was enjoyed by many more people than it currently is.

Archived