IGNORED

FA Cup Final 5:15 today

Jerseybean

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Used to be a 24 hour thing for me as a kid.  FA Cup final mastermind the night before, grandstand on the morning, teams leaving the hotel, etc.

Plus the highlights on MOTD with a visit to the players after match meal and then the highlights again on Big Match, Sunday afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Plus the highlights on MOTD with a visit to the players after match meal and then the highlights again on Big Match, Sunday afternoon.

And I used to sit through the lot, I love it. Probably special because there wasn't wall to wall sport on TV then. I couldn't get enough.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

And I used to sit through the lot, I love it. Probably special because there wasn't wall to wall sport on TV then. I couldn't get enough.

Me and my dad used to watch it, we'd each pick a team and mine would always win! I do remember Liam Brady v Manu in (1979?) running up the pitch with the ball and Arsenal scoring the winner…and me going crazy and jumping up and down on the sofa. Cup final day was a really special day. For City to get to the final would've meant everything.

57 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

They have moved it back to being after the season (after a few years of it being before end of season) but this year and the congested schedule has caused it to be between fixtures this year. Not sure I get the clamour for 3pm, I quite like the early evening kickoff and the 3pm obsession is just conservatism, not the fact it makes any sense. 

It's annoying when people try to force binary choices in whatever form they dress it up. It's simple, we win today and we win on Tuesday ?

Best of luck today , hope you win. 
mind you I’m putting a bet on you and I’m terrible at betting ?

I just about remember the 1969 final, and was there as a Leicester fan the last time before this season they got to a semi-final, against Spurs in 1982. 

Like many people I’ve lost interest in the Cup Final over the last few years, but I have to admit to being well up for this game. Leicester is definitely my “other” team now, but on days like today the old feelings come to the surface. “When you’re smiling...”

52 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Me and my dad used to watch it, we'd each pick a team and mine would always win! I do remember Liam Brady v Manu in (1979?) running up the pitch with the ball and Arsenal scoring the winner…and me going crazy and jumping up and down on the sofa. Cup final day was a really special day. For City to get to the final would've meant everything.

Alan Sunderland’s diving header 

edit. I don’t know how I remember it as a diving header , it wasn’t . He slid in at the far post. Brilliant cup final though 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Listening to Radio 5 earlier someone was asking if Leicester won the GA Cup today but lost a league match in mid week and ended up finishing 5th in the Premier, would they accept that?

The implication being that qualifying for the Champions League is more important than winning the FA Cup.

?

I was having this very conversation with someone I met yesterday. 

Obviously, both would be great. But, old traditionalist that I am, if I had to choose just one I’d go for the FA Cup.

I’m here today and it’s a strange feeling, been on the concourse about 20 minutes or so not gone to my seat yet.

Ive been to a few Wembley finals now and this one definitely has the the covid affect, so many less people and so much more space. there was a proper atmosphere outside the ground and on the walk to the stadium (don’t like what they’ve done with the flats around the ground, ruined the view) and very “friendly”

Its a bit less atmospheric inside but we are on level 2 and the hospitality section so you’d expect it to be.

Cant wait for the game, first live football in 18 months? I don’t really have a preferred winner, I’m with a Chelsea fan but I guess Leicester for Nige.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

For many years it hasn't been the same as it once was. Probably since Fergie withdrew from the competition to play in some South American tournament.

Remember as a kid the FA cup was huge. The biggest game of the whole season no matter who was playing.

Still big for the small clubs of course. But nothing like what is once was.

That was the start of it and the champions league slots being more valuable 

I’ve got lots of memories of the big all day build up to the final from years gone by but, for some reason, HTV used to show wrestling hosted by Kent Walton before the match.  It had nothing to do with football but I enjoyed it. Another memory is the awful cut up pitch caused by the Horse Of The Year Show being held there a few days before the match. How anyone though that a load of horses clumping around the pitch was a good idea is beyond me. (Nobody’s mention Liverpool’s awful white suits)

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Used to be a 24 hour thing for me as a kid.  FA Cup final mastermind the night before, grandstand on the morning, teams leaving the hotel, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/17/fa-cup-final-tv-build-up?fbclid=IwAR24676j0AqIdOf6YtaXTErF_OnimrWWZk0r1stEfdkAL2-iqNw2oSI5d2o

Archived