IGNORED

Her game too

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure you understand the point being made.  Scott’s appointment was met with a lot of sexist remarks by a lot of males. And this is about men making remarks to women in general, not about who the BBC appoint to host programmes 

I completely understand the point, but something which will not be eliminated for quite sometime,  is the fact that some males are complete ********* who do not have the capacity to understand how the world is changing, and has changed?.                              Those sexist remarks, will, over time, decrease as women show just  how     capable they are in presenting and analysing football, and this will eventually permeate through society and it will become commonplace for female opinions on this particular subject to become part of our culture?   .  There will always be a dumb minority who need to get a life, and it's a long and arduous process for reality to slowly dawn on the knuckle draggers?,   Time will gradually allow common sense to prevail.  It's all about education,  and some of this generation will never get it........................, but as the dinosaurs gradually die off, hopefully the new generation won't even see it as an issue that needs to be addressed?

Unfortunately in the meantime, women will just need to ignore the philistines, and just let the sexist's continue to embarrass themselves.......while the women continue to eclipse the problem.            

3 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

Not sure that Alex Scott presenting FF means that the average football fan should be made to feel their opinion is inferior just because they are a female.

I'm not sure that the average football fan DOES feel that their opinion is somehow inferior due to them being a female?....as more and more women present. play and participate in our national sport, there opinions will become just as valid and respected as anyone else's?,           

36 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I completely understand the point, but something which will not be eliminated for quite sometime,  is the fact that some males are complete ********* who do not have the capacity to understand how the world is changing, and has changed?.                              Those sexist remarks, will, over time, decrease as women show just  how     capable they are in presenting and analysing football, and this will eventually permeate through society and it will become commonplace for female opinions on this particular subject to become part of our culture?   .  There will always be a dumb minority who need to get a life, and it's a long and arduous process for reality to slowly dawn on the knuckle draggers?,   Time will gradually allow common sense to prevail.  It's all about education,  and some of this generation will never get it........................, but as the dinosaurs gradually die off, hopefully the new generation won't even see it as an issue that needs to be addressed?

Unfortunately in the meantime, women will just need to ignore the philistines, and just let the sexist's continue to embarrass themselves.......while the women continue to eclipse the problem.            

Hopefully it will die out but telling women to put up with it isn’t the answer.  This video does no harm to anyone 

It's infuriating to see comments that depict the underlying issue on this forum. Those that distance themselves from outright sexism but then make a comment or joke which belittles any discrimination that female fans, pundits or experts suffer. Believe it or not, you are the problem, and the reason why football unlike almost any other sport is stuck in the dark ages.

21 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I get more disrespectful and idiotic comments from women, to be honest!

Yeh this is the thing actually. What of the insults I've received?

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but every single woman in my life, from family and friends to personal relationships, has hated football, has had nothing good to say about football, ever, couldn't give a flying crap about it or my passion for it or Bristol City. They have merely tolerated it - that it's something I like and that I do. Over the years it's kind of bred a subconscious sort of feeling that women generally 'don't do' football: it's become a "leave me out of it I don't care, it's a bloke thing" sort of attitude.

I have always, always wished it was otherwise. I would looove to have been able to share this passion with, well, someone I love, to go watch City together, home and away. But that's never happened. Instead I've had to put up with being tuned out (by GFs for instance) and sometimes put down for simply being a football fan.

So is it even actual sexism when on occasion men will have this negative reaction to women and football, or is it simply a result of years and years of rejection by women for loving football?

Nothing of course excuses actual sexism or abuse aimed at women for this or any reason. I know there are tons of women who do genuinely love the sport. But there's another cause of this simmering background cynicism, and it's probably rooted in the male psyche as a sort of self-defence mechanism. But, like I said, if I ever found someone who loves football and City as much as me I'd be so very happy. It just hasn't happened yet.

4 hours ago, OneCity said:

Yeh this is the thing actually. What of the insults I've received?

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but every single woman in my life, from family and friends to personal relationships, has hated football, has had nothing good to say about football, ever, couldn't give a flying crap about it or my passion for it or Bristol City. They have merely tolerated it - that it's something I like and that I do. Over the years it's kind of bred a subconscious sort of feeling that women generally 'don't do' football: it's become a "leave me out of it I don't care, it's a bloke thing" sort of attitude.

I have always, always wished it was otherwise. I would looove to have been able to share this passion with, well, someone I love, to go watch City together, home and away. But that's never happened. Instead I've had to put up with being tuned out (by GFs for instance) and sometimes put down for simply being a football fan.

So is it even actual sexism when on occasion men will have this negative reaction to women and football, or is it simply a result of years and years of rejection by women for loving football?

Nothing of course excuses actual sexism or abuse aimed at women for this or any reason. I know there are tons of women who do genuinely love the sport. But there's another cause of this simmering background cynicism, and it's probably rooted in the male psyche as a sort of self-defence mechanism. But, like I said, if I ever found someone who loves football and City as much as me I'd be so very happy. It just hasn't happened yet.

It is really hard to always find someone who shares your interests. People away from football are generally disparaging about the game and its followers, viewing fans as rough, drunken and violent. People generally are flummoxed as to why I should like going to games, I've been asked some strange questions about what happens at matches, I genuinely think they see me as strange. They have a specific blinkered view of football. Only yesterday while watching the FA Cup, I was thinking, "if you don't get it, you won't get it" meaning you wouldn't understand people crying and getting terribly emotional at a football match, and why it means so much to generations of families.

I do find the man/woman baiting tiresome. Some people are only interested in themselves, hence their disrespect of their partner's interests. I've decided that football is my thing, I'm quite happy to go on my own, home and away, so if my partner doesn't like it tough!

I’d love it if my missus liked football, doesn’t have to be a passion, just enough to know the players and watch the odd match.

She says things like how was the footy and was it a good match and she’s started keeping an eye out for our scores, but promptly gave up when she saw we lost pretty much every game!

22 hours ago, OneCity said:

Good luck to you, they are out there - if football is not their passion when you meet then 'Miss Right' will not only accept your passion for City, but show a genuine interest in the game too.

I'm fortunate to have got together with my wife on a City away trip - the younger sister of a friend, who took the spare place which appeared on a minibus at the last minute.

She's supported City ever since, sometimes with a ST, sometimes from home, but only regularly attends when the club is generally a happy place and doing reasonably well. Whereas some of us take the rough with the smooth she really doesn't enjoy being at AG when it's poor football, a gloomy atmosphere, with the fans understandably fed up. 

She's always happy to talk football, in fact she's keener these days watching it on TV than I am! I really can't imagine having an 'anti football' wife, being a City fan was too much of my life and identity so it just wouldn't have happened.

Btw., there were 2 girls amongst our group of regular away fans back in the late 70's. Both enjoyed the football atmosphere, whether on the way to the game or in the grounds themselves, but both freely admitted later that part of the attraction of following City was the opportunity to meet boys and the laughs we all used to have travelling around the country.

On 16/05/2021 at 13:02, maxjak said:

I for one don't give a flying crap who hosts what and has an opinion on whatever. I have a female friend who is VERY conversant regarding football and I regard her opinion in high esteem. Male or Female it makes not one iota of a difference to me.  At the end of the day you have the Gok Wan types who tell women what to wear so where's the difference ?

• The title was changed to Her game too

Archived