IGNORED

JOE JORDAN still alive and kicking

sticks 1969

An impressively random thread which I approve of.

****ing love Joe. Might be my age, but you can keep the Cotts/GJ teams. It’s all about the 89/90 and Smith burning pace one side, Gav taking the piss on the other. Carnage beating centre half’s up for super Bob to score. Rennie flicking it on at the near post. Psycho scaring strikers. Ronnie Sinclair being 8 stone soaking wet but keeping everything out.

I repeat. I approve of this thread.

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

****ing love Joe. Might be my age, but you can keep the Cotts/GJ teams. It’s all about the 89/90 and Smith burning pace one side, Gav taking the piss on the other. Carnage beating centre half’s up for super Bob to score. Rennie flicking it on at the near post. Psycho scaring strikers. Ronnie Sinclair being 8 stone soaking wet but keeping everything out.

Best City team I’ve seen and on awful pitches - scary to think how good they’d be now 

• The title was changed to JOE JORDAN still alive and kicking

Great memories.The Bradford and Forest games on that Cup run were special.Walsall in the play offs always sticks in my mind too despite the end result. 3-1 down from the first leg,then bringing it back to 3-3 on aggregate after beating them 2-0 a few days later. Always remember after losing the toss for venue, Jordan walking around the ground gesturing to the City fans to get back up there on the Monday. 

My favourite player growing up in a family of ‘plastic’ Man U fans.

Unbelievable when he came on loan, then became manager twice.

My sons first and middle names are Joe Jordan, and I have a framed photo of me and the big man on my desk that was taken before a pre season friendly at Cheltenham in 95.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I approve of your post.

Because I ****ing love Joe, too. What a bloke, what a team, what a time. 

I repeat. I approve of your post.

Forza Joe! Forza City! Forza Meeeelano! 

Shame Big Joe wasn’t first team coach for us this season - wouldn’t have tolerated any of the nonsense we’ve seen this season. 

I love the clash between Gattuso and Joe at the San Siro. Joe must have been early 60s at the time yet he’d still have had Gattuso for breakfast. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What a team that was.  Some scintillating football as well that season.  I still wince at the memory of Bob clutching his hamstring after scoring yet another hat trick against Crewe, and the ramifications of that moment and what it meant for our title hopes.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with every word of that

Remember being a a guess of a Reading supporter at Elm Park, sitting behind the City bench. The game had just kick-off and Jordan appeared and walk to the bench and looked at a young City player who was a sub. Walked up to him and in a deep Scottish accent Eh sonny move your butt.  

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I don't think those Cambridge games did a lot for us. To have got through that round and gone to Highbury in the quarter final would've been immense. The wins against Swindon and Chelsea were memorable though. It was a lively two and a half years, Big Joe's first stint here. 

"Lively"?

Seeing as you and @77 punk saw virtually every single game of that first stint, I prefer the description "HEROIC" (capital letters intended), to coin a phrase initially, er, coined, by @77 punk himself! 

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Lively"?

Seeing as you and @77 punk saw virtually every single game of that first stint, I prefer the description "HEROIC" (capital letters intended), to coin a phrase initially, er, coined, by @77 punk himself! 

Play-offs.

League Cup semi.

Promotion. 

Top of 2nd division (after just two games, admittedly).

With the benefit of hindsight, I think we might've rode that Big Joe wave a little longer. But "1982" was still fresh in the minds of many, Joe was threatening the "steady as we go, let's not get carried away here" Bristol City mindset that you could argue persists to this day. 

It was probably correct to choose caution over Jordan, I mean look what happened to Darlington. And Bradford Park Avenue.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That season was the one I truly fell in love city, it had everything.....

8 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

That season was the one I truly fell in love city, it had everything.....

Agree with pretty much everything that has been said, but for those of us that were at Twerton for 'that game', the season will always be soiled. So very sad, we were far superior to Rovers, but the Taylor injury and our capitulation when it mattered cost us big style.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

What a team that was.  Some scintillating football as well that season.  I still wince at the memory of Bob clutching his hamstring after scoring yet another hat trick against Crewe, and the ramifications of that moment and what it meant for our title hopes.

The best City team I watched bar the Div 1 days. Joe was a born leader and the fans loved him. 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well summed up Silvio. Was watching some YouTube stuff last night. Had forgotten how good Smith was -made us so exciting to watch. Nicky Morgan and RobbieTurner two other under rated players from that era.

The best side we had in my lifetime.

Love that side to a man, every single one of them.

Stood on the East End listening to the deafening sounds of “One Bobby Taylor, theres only one Bobby Taylor, one Bobby Taaaaayyyylllloor” as God splashed another one in after a screeching Smudge run, or Gav mesmerising some hapless full-back.

”Turner knocks em down, and Taylor knocks em in”. Lovely.

Those were indeed the days my friends…..

Archived