Jump to content
IGNORED

JOE JORDAN still alive and kicking


Recommended Posts

Hardly missed a game that season, home and away, never expected to lose game and if we ever went behind, a draw was the very least we expected. Fabulous team, JJ inspirational and the team took their lead from him. Leaders all over the pitch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was my favourite time of supporting City.

14 years old and went to virtually every home match and stood behind the goal in the East End.

Remember Tranmere at home and the ground was packed so got into the EE a few minutes after KO to find we were already 1 down.

Smudger was and still is my favourite City player. Fast as the wind with a ferocious shot.

So many great memories.

I won't ever forgive Hearts for stealing JJ from us. The bastards 

  • Like 2
  • Robin 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

That was my favourite time of supporting City.

14 years old and went to virtually every home match and stood behind the goal in the East End.

Remember Tranmere at home and the ground was packed so got into the EE a few minutes after KO to find we were already 1 down.

Smudger was and still is my favourite City player. Fast as the wind with a ferocious shot.

So many great memories.

I won't ever forgive Hearts for stealing JJ from us. The bastards 

Smudger used to go box to box- I remember him saying that fans didn’t actually realise how tiring it was to actually keep doing it like he did 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Smudger used to go box to box- I remember him saying that fans didn’t actually realise how tiring it was to actually keep doing it like he did 

I can imagine it was more tiring for the likes of Ian Alexander trying to keep up with him.

Probably why he kept trying to kick him into row Z

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also remember the Tranmere game, was away at college so couldn’t go to many games. I was in the EE with a friend who was a huge Tranmere fan. Can remember waiting for the ref to give a foul when their striker headed in after levering himself up with both hands on the defender’s shoulders and he just didn’t. I knew it wasn’t going to end well (also the massive deflection for their first goal). I do remember the atmosphere being a bit ‘tense’ and asking my friend nicely if she could stop smiling so much as it might not be healthy. Then Joe came on as a sub and the roar was amazing and there really was the belief that anything was possible. It was rocking when we scored, I just wish I’d been able to go and experience more of that season... The first match back up against Blackburn was pretty good mind!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

An impressively random thread which I approve of.

****ing love Joe. Might be my age, but you can keep the Cotts/GJ teams. It’s all about the 89/90 and Smith burning pace one side, Gav taking the piss on the other. Carnage beating centre half’s up for super Bob to score. Rennie flicking it on at the near post. Psycho scaring strikers. Ronnie Sinclair being 8 stone soaking wet but keeping everything out.

I repeat. I approve of this thread.

They were great to watch but it was L1 whereas GJ's best team played in the Championship so I'd have to say that was a greater achievement

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

My favourite player growing up in a family of ‘plastic’ Man U fans.

Unbelievable when he came on loan, then became manager twice.

My sons first and middle names are Joe Jordan, and I have a framed photo of me and the big man on my desk that was taken before a pre season friendly at Cheltenham in 95.

I named my boy Riley for obvious reasons. I can remember that 1986 final like it was yesterday but can't remember what I did last week.

  • Like 2
  • Robin 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was around this time, Tranmere away, on the open terracing, one Friday night game I think, anyone else remember their Rod Stewart lookalike in a shellsuit?!  City fans waving around £5 & £10 notes, singing 'we got loadsa money!'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Agree with pretty much everything that has been said, but for those of us that were at Twerton for 'that game', the season will always be soiled. So very sad, we were far superior to Rovers, but the Taylor injury and our capitulation when it mattered cost us big style.

Yep. I was there that night and what with drinking in a mixed pub & plenty of gas mates it was ruined for me. We choked the title simple as that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Smudger used to go box to box- I remember him saying that fans didn’t actually realise how tiring it was to actually keep doing it like he did 

You could always tell when Smith was having a good game

He would be on the touch line Bent over with his hands on his knees gasping for air

  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Lively"?

Seeing as you and @77 punk saw virtually every single game of that first stint, I prefer the description "HEROIC" (capital letters intended), to coin a phrase initially, er, coined, by @77 punk himself! 

If there’s one single word that I’d associate with aforementioned punk, HEROIC is it!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, zider_drinker said:

Great memories.The Bradford and Forest games on that Cup run were special.Walsall in the play offs always sticks in my mind too despite the end result. 3-1 down from the first leg,then bringing it back to 3-3 on aggregate after beating them 2-0 a few days later.

Sticks in my mind to this day. 2-0 up and 3-3 on aggregate, then in the dying moments Ralph Milne misses a sitter. Should have been 3-0 - we would have been up, and two years earlier then we were!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

 Brought back memories of forest semi final and the 89/90 season 

CDEB8621-FD99-4F85-BF60-B8B8BCC43D9E.jpeg

The quarter final away at Bradford was one of the best atmospheres I can remember.

Watching the highlights program the next day when coming on as a sub towards the end and the commentators says ‘he could bring his own grandmother on now and it wouldn’t matter’ just showed how well we had played as underdogs that game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

An impressively random thread which I approve of.

****ing love Joe. Might be my age, but you can keep the Cotts/GJ teams. It’s all about the 89/90 and Smith burning pace one side, Gav taking the piss on the other. Carnage beating centre half’s up for super Bob to score. Rennie flicking it on at the near post. Psycho scaring strikers. Ronnie Sinclair being 8 stone soaking wet but keeping everything out.

I repeat. I approve of this thread.

my eldest son was born back then, at the next match my mates all asked jokingly 'did you call him Joe?' 

nope.  i called him Jordan. :)

 

(I bumped into Joe once and mentioned this to him, he asked how my son was doing - lovely chap, although stragely smaller when you meet him. - I am 6'3" tho.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Lively"?

Seeing as you and @77 punk saw virtually every single game of that first stint, I prefer the description "HEROIC" (capital letters intended), to coin a phrase initially, er, coined, by @77 punk himself! 

“HEROIC” - just has to be Gus ? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

me and nick did not miss a game for three seasons, it was one of the happiest times following city. watching joe build the team and getting in bob taylor { my city hero} winning promotion and going away to all those new grounds with superb away support

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

He’s still living in Clifton, I was delivering up there a few years back and he was getting a paper at the newsagents on Alma Vale Road.

I’ve often seen him in the Alma Vale Tavern but not brave enough to interrupt his meal to say hello ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

me and nick did not miss a game for three seasons, it was one of the happiest times following city. watching joe build the team and getting in bob taylor { my city hero} winning promotion and going away to all those new grounds with superb away support

I’ve got 4 favourite periods and I think this one probably edges it as the best. 
The others being Dicks/Cheese Ward/Goater, Gary J/M.Elliott 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was too young to appreciate the 1976 promotion team , goater was superb for us. gary johnson was a revelation for the club turning a bottom of division 3 team , into a team one game short of the premiership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

i was too young to appreciate the 1976 promotion team , goater was superb for us. gary johnson was a revelation for the club turning a bottom of division 3 team , into a team one game short of the premiership.

You were too, er, "something else" to appreciate* the promotions that followed '76 (but reasonably compos mentis by 2014/15, to be fair ....) 

 

*fully. They were all fully celebrated, certainly. 

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...