IGNORED

Rene Gilmartin

Desso

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

I would hope we are filling coaching positions with the very best available. Is he ? I have no idea. 

Well the 23's won their group with him on the staff, why wouldn't you keep him on?

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I never said get rid, but is he a great coach ? I really have no idea. He signed as a , well I have no idea what he was doing here. Others think it is a good idea to keep him for match commentary which is nonsense. Is he a top grade coach then ? When did that all start ? What are his coaching credentials ?  Why is he now so important ? Why are are you so keen ? Just interested to know . Is he just a GK coach ? Who is our GK coach ? From mystery man to a major coaching talent. Great if we have uncovered a major talent. 

Noted earlier he's also Irish U21 GK coach (since 2019), City's website lists head of academy goalkeeping as Ali Hines so guess Gillmartin works as a genuine assistant rather than keeper focused, Alex Ball was assistant to Luke Williams before Williams left so guessing he's filled the hole. He's got his A licence for general and GK specific so decently qualified. I'm keen because City's U23's have just won a league for the first time in...... well a long time, keeping the coaching staff who led that would seem logical.

On 15/05/2021 at 23:11, 2015 said:

As long as he is nowhere near Robins TV commentary i'm ok with it

For a co comm on a two bob amateur stream think he was more than acceptable, though I will agree towards the end of the season he needed to reel his neck in a little. Put it this way, compared to Weimann sounding like a dead corpse, who would you prefer?

I also heard him calling out a couple of players from time to time, defo not a sheep following the company line, unlike when they had both lead comms on the same game, absolutely dreadful!

18 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I agree - he needs a producer in his ear telling him to shut up...at times...at others he's been worth paying attention to.

This is a bug bear of mine generally.

Commentators of old would commentate on the match , describing the action with just a few relevant points of interest thrown in for good measure when there was a break in play.

Today it’s as if the match taking place is if secondary interest after the commentator’s show .

How I miss Bryan Moore. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This is a bug bear of mine generally.

Commentators of old would commentate on the match , describing the action with just a few relevant points of interest thrown in for good measure when there was a break in play.

Today it’s as if the match taking place is if secondary interest after the commentator’s show .

How I miss Bryan Moore. 

It’s the mix, you have a play by play commentator and someone who does the tactical insight, it’s just finding the balance between the pair, can’t be easy for Toby commentating with a different person every week and probably not wanting to talk over the guest to commentate the play by play 

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s the mix, you have a play by play commentator and someone who does the tactical insight, it’s just finding the balance between the pair, can’t be easy for Toby commentating with a different person every week and probably not wanting to talk over the guest to commentate the play by play 

Even JP struggled to make us sound interesting when we played Sheffield Utd ?

I thought Brian Tinnion was the best on RobinsTV ?

I do prefer the commentators of old though, like Brian Moore. Too much hyperbole these days!

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Toby needs to stop blowing smoke up his employer’s proverbial and commentate on the reality of the situation.

The number of times he says ‘ City have x minutes to get something out of this match ‘ when Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder’s love child could see that the only ‘ something ‘ that City were going to get was another humiliation.

There’s optimism , then there’s ridicule and insults to the fans intelligence.

Many times last season I turned the sound off .

He needs to find a balance.

To Rene's credit, about halfway through the season, I Became "lost for word" watching that pile of crap on the pitch, he had the job of commentating on it....... He is a guy who will never "run out of word", but as an employee of the club, clearly he could not say what he wanted to at times!

13 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Noted earlier he's also Irish U21 GK coach (since 2019), City's website lists head of academy goalkeeping as Ali Hines so guess Gillmartin works as a genuine assistant rather than keeper focused, Alex Ball was assistant to Luke Williams before Williams left so guessing he's filled the hole. He's got his A licence for general and GK specific so decently qualified. I'm keen because City's U23's have just won a league for the first time in...... well a long time, keeping the coaching staff who led that would seem logical.

I agree. And I actually like his analysis on BCTV, insightful and articulate. As a colleague and an employee, he’s hardly going to slag our players off on air, nor does Tins.

On 16/05/2021 at 07:13, View from the Dolman said:

I know Brentford have a slightly different approach with their B Team but I think most people would be surprised at their staffing levels...

B Team Head Coach
B Team Assistant Coach and Technical Lead
B Team Assistant Coach
B Team Goalkeeper Coach
B Team Strength and Conditioning Coach
B Team Strength and Conditioning Coach 
B Team Physiotherapist
B Team Physiotherapist
B Team Physiotherapist
B Team Analyst
B Team Kit Assistant

Yes, but in City's case its, "Always B? Leave!"

Surprised by some.of the comments on here, I thought he's been great on Robins TV.   Good knowledge of the young players which I like as I don't know them.   Insightful analysis.  Slaps down the idiot co commentator when he says something stupid.  Feels able to criticise performances and players when they aren't doing well.    Tinnion is also good on there.  

I'd much rather him than a player,who is unable to.criticise his colleagues or comment on the tactics for fear of criticising the manager.  Andy Weimann is the only player that adds anything useful.

No idea whether he's a decent coach or not obviously so can't comment on whether he's worth keeping for that reason.  He clearly enjoys his job and seems invested in the club and the young players. 

Archived