IGNORED

The curious case of Filip Benkovic

GrahamC

Not sure if anyone has been following his season but what a strange one it has been.

He joined Cardiff for the first half of it (when they loaned Flint out) but played just once, was blamed for the winning goal in the only game he did.

In January he joined Leicester affiliate club O H Leuven on loan but it’s gone even worse there, he hasn’t played at all & clearly isn’t injured because he is often on the subs bench.

I must admit I thought there was a real player here, unsurprisingly for a Croatian he’s good on the ball, he’s bloody tall, so good in the air, scored a couple for us & at 23 is a good age.

Having let Baker & Mariappa go & with Mawson leaving early too, we are at least one (arguably 2) central defenders light & based on Brendan Rogers not rating him (he made a comment about him being miles away from the standard he needed) we could definitely do a deal here if we wanted.

15 minutes ago, Banned User said:

I’d buy him, at a good price of course, not 13m or whatever it is.

On a side note, shows how poor Scottish football is when Celtic herald him as the next best thing.

Not really, at the moment Celtic and Rangers are probably the equivalent of top end Champ/low Prem sides in quality so players that do well for them are the sort of level that would perform for us.

It's not such a high standard for the rest of the SPL though.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really, at the moment Celtic and Rangers are probably the equivalent of top end Champ/low Prem sides in quality so players that do well for them are the sort of level that would perform for us.

It's not such a high standard for the rest of the SPL though.

Exactly, I’d view him as a solid Championship defender, nothing more, nothing less. 

He definitely isn’t the next best thing at a high end Championship/low end Premier League club.

Celtic seemed to think he was, so I’d say they’re generally probably a slightly lower standard.

Just now, Banned User said:

Exactly, I’d view him as a solid Championship defender, nothing more, nothing less. 

He definitely isn’t the next best thing at a high end Championship/low end Premier League club.

Celtic seemed to think he was, so I’d say they’re generally probably a slightly lower standard.

A solid Championship player at 23 or whatever he is doesn't mean he can't kick on though - look at Webster. 

Depends on how you define 'next best thing' ultimately. Given Celtic and Rangers' ceiling, that's a different question to what that means to us as the potential quality of our league opponents is higher. 

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

so good in the air,

I thought he was pretty awful in the air for someone so tall. Didn't actually attack it, rather let it drop onto his head and was constantly outmuscled when trying to lean to head it, he never had control over where it was going.

He looked to me a CB who has been raised to play at the top level, where a CB is a possession position as much as a defender, but it seems he is not quite there. Problem with that is, dropping from elite football to championship is that you can lack “street smart” ability, which makes players like Flint, Lees, Bradley, better options for us even if more limited technically.

one home game I watched (can’t remember who!) he let the ball bounce across him and thought he had time to turn out with it, and got smashed out the way. Flint et al just put their head on that all day. Do we have time and does he have the desire to learn? Big risk, which I don’t think we can afford 

A lot of the Celtic reaction to Benkovic's time there is quite hyperbolic in fairness, as many fans have a tendency to be when players put a few good performances together. Much of it based on the potential they assumed he had rather than his performances as a whole, and probably a slight desperation for the club to capture another player in the van Dijk mould.

He looked very assured at the start of his spell there; a confident, elegant, ball-playing centre-half. But he suffered a few injuries and (contrary to the belief many seem to hold) didn't actually play a massive amount of games in Scotland. From February until the end of that season he barely got on the pitch at all.

I think there's a player in there, but he desperately needs to go somewhere where he can play consistently and try and stay injury free or we'll never know for sure. Probably not one I'd take a gamble on at City now.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Already been rumoured on social media but he’s 38 next season, FFS.

Probably worth the wage for influence alone. A gigantic presence (physically and otherwise) in the changing room. 

I wonder if there is an attitude problem with Benkovic. It smacks of there being a problem that is only known behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Probably worth the wage for influence alone. A gigantic presence (physically and otherwise) in the changing room. 

I wonder if there is an attitude problem with Benkovic. It smacks of there being a problem that is only known behind the scenes.

With Benkovic there clearly is something, you can’t keep going on loan & not playing & it always be someone else’s fault.

If the price and wages were right, I'd take the risk. Started to play better towards the end of his spell here, although it is slightly concerning that he hasn't played much since.

If Leicester do want to get rid, they'll have to take a big hit on what they paid though, because nobody is going to pay anywhere near £13m for a player the manager doesn't believe is good enough for the level they are at.

Would imagine at that price he's also on around £30k pw at least.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure if anyone has been following his season but what a strange one it has been.

He joined Cardiff for the first half of it (when they loaned Flint out) but played just once, was blamed for the winning goal in the only game he did.

In January he joined Leicester affiliate club O H Leuven on loan but it’s gone even worse there, he hasn’t played at all & clearly isn’t injured because he is often on the subs bench.

I must admit I thought there was a real player here, unsurprisingly for a Croatian he’s good on the ball, he’s bloody tall, so good in the air, scored a couple for us & at 23 is a good age.

Having let Baker & Mariappa go & with Mawson leaving early too, we are at least one (arguably 2) central defenders light & based on Brendan Rogers not rating him (he made a comment about him being miles away from the standard he needed) we could definitely do a deal here if we wanted.

It’s not just Rogers. As he hasn’t played much there must reasons why other managers don’t seem to rate him as well. His ability, attitude or whatever............:dunno:

Sure, he did ok for the short time with us but he could be another Tony Dinning for all we know. 

Too many unknowns for me, hopefully Nige thinks the same.

He never struck me as a “leader”. We keep saying that’s what we need. Whatever his heading agility, ball playing prowess, passing ability, is only part of it. If we’re keeping Kalas, Vyner, Moore etc, (and no problem with that) then we need someone who’s not just a good defender but brings that leadership quality too. Not convinced Benkovic would do that. 

The Benkovic under Holden v the Benkovic under Johnson was chalk and cheese.

Under Holden I saw a player very comfortable on the ball, willing to put his head in the way in our box and a bit of a magnet for the ball in the opposition box.

Imagine coming here on loan to play and not playing (typical Johnson signing, i.e. don’t play them).  Under Holden he looked completely different.

There’s a player in there.  I wouldn’t be against him coming back, but it would have to be very favourable in terms of fee and wages, which is why I don’t think it will happen.  Another loan?  Possibly.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The Benkovic under Holden v the Benkovic under Johnson was chalk and cheese.

Under Holden I saw a player very comfortable on the ball, willing to put his head in the way in our box and a bit of a magnet for the ball in the opposition box.

Imagine coming here on loan to play and not playing (typical Johnson signing, i.e. don’t play them).  Under Holden he looked completely different.

There’s a player in there.  I wouldn’t be against him coming back, but it would have to be very favourable in terms of fee and wages, which is why I don’t think it will happen.  Another loan?  Possibly.

He's a very good player so its a mystery why he doesn't get many games under a lot of different managers/coaches. There must be something wrong off the pitch - lazy trainer, poor attitude ? Immaturity maybe ? Who knows ?

Whatever, its holding him back.

I'd have him back here on loan with a view to a permanent contract, I don't think we'd get too much better imo. 

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:.

NP was a no nonsense uncompromising defender in his time, he of all people will know what he wants and who he can mould  into the image he wants.  Guess depends who else is out there but of all people I would trust NP to get in what’s needed

I rated Benkovic. Very comfortable on the ball, good in the air (especially towards the end of his time with us). I think he could do very well in the championship.

In terms of us brining him back, I'd be open to it, but transfer fees and wages would likely be a problem. I imagine there could be quite a disparity between what I'd be willing to pay him and what his agent would want.

Funny enough I Googled him a while back. I knew he only played about once at Cardiff, but assumed he would play regularly in Belgium.  Seems he didn't get a single minute, which is odd in this past season. 
From what I saw here, I would have him back, good age too. The fact he couldn't get more than 70 minutes over a season , and 2 different clubs does ring some alarm bells. But maybe a loan to buy may be worth a go, we do need a CB and he did look computable on the ball. 

Players go through phases of form. The comment that he's a good player is effectively saying he is a good player when in form. The same as any professional 

This bloke hasn't shown any form since arriving at Leicester his time here was/is massively overated by some on this forum

However if Pearson thinks he can bring that out then there could be a possibility

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Another loan?  Possibly.

I contemplated that on the basis after the loan he'd have 12 months left on his deal and could force a cut price deal for him potentially if he did well enough to stay.

I think the problem with Benkovic is that he is a Croatian!!

I know i am stereotyping here but i find that most players from

the Balkan states only show any heart when they play for their country

When it comes to playing for a club they never seem to give a flying fig 

Archived