IGNORED

The curious case of Filip Benkovic

GrahamC

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The Benkovic under Holden v the Benkovic under Johnson was chalk and cheese.

Under Holden I saw a player very comfortable on the ball, willing to put his head in the way in our box and a bit of a magnet for the ball in the opposition box.

Imagine coming here on loan to play and not playing (typical Johnson signing, i.e. don’t play them).  Under Holden he looked completely different.

There’s a player in there.  I wouldn’t be against him coming back, but it would have to be very favourable in terms of fee and wages, which is why I don’t think it will happen.  Another loan?  Possibly.

Problem is, if he's a bit of dick it doesn't matter how capable he is, he's not worth the bother (very rare exceptions apply)

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

However if Pearson thinks he can bring that out then there could be a possibility

Have we got time to try and get him back on track though? We need guys that can hit the ground running, not more “projects” that we think we can turn around. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Problem is, if he's a bit of dick it doesn't matter how capable he is, he's not worth the bother (very rare exceptions apply)

We have no proof of an attitude problem, just looked at a couple of goals he scored for us, everyone seems to like him. The report I read suggested he wasn't doing it in training at Cardiff, now if he's has a sudden realisation that he needs to play he could be an asset. Obviously has talent.

Goal around 4:55.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's probably his defensive ability that is the problem. I said the other day about mistakes he made for goals against Derby and Birmingham. And a very poor game against Huddersfield. But there's another one there in that game as it looked his fault for that Stoke equaliser. And a couple of other dodgy moments on those highlights. 

TBF, if you look at those highlights closely enough, there are a few players who made glaring mistakes and got away with it. I don't think he is any more dodgy than any other City players in those highlights and he scored a technically very good goal that our lumbering number 9 could only dream of.

I think if we could get him on loan and work on him with a view to making it permanent if it works out, we could have a bargain. His value has dropped like a stone from the £13m Leicester paid for him.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Have we got time to try and get him back on track though? We need guys that can hit the ground running, not more “projects” that we think we can turn around. 

Yes I agree. Limit the new projects. Pearson has enough on his plate bringing through all the kids with pro contracts. 

8 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Wes Morgan arrive at some point 

We’re trying to reshape a club and it’s culture.

Im fully expecting a couple of wise old owls to arrive?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, but is he a bit of a dick?  I’ve no idea.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

We have no proof of an attitude problem, just looked at a couple of goals he scored for us, everyone seems to like him. The report I read suggested he wasn't doing it in training at Cardiff, now if he's has a sudden realisation that he needs to play he could be an asset. Obviously has talent.

Goal around 4:55.

Yeah it's total speculation, although Pete Hinton seems to have heard something.

Otherwise I liked the look of him. Physically and technically good. Big potential.

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah it's total speculation, although Pete Hinton seems to have heard something.

Otherwise I liked the look of him. Physically and technically good. Big potential.

The press in Cardiff were reporting a poor attitude to training as to why he didn’t feature more.

What I would say though is that if you look at the local press coverage of clubs like them & Boro they don’t half operate as PR on their behalf whereas ours (even in seasons much less crap than this one) are far more critical.

6 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I think the problem with Benkovic is that he is a Croatian!!

I know i am stereotyping here but i find that most players from

the Balkan states only show any heart when they play for their country

When it comes to playing for a club they never seem to give a flying fig 

What a complete crock of absolute horse shit.   

6 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I think the problem with Benkovic is that he is a Croatian!!

I know i am stereotyping here but i find that most players from

the Balkan states only show any heart when they play for their country

When it comes to playing for a club they never seem to give a flying fig 

That Bilic chap wasn't up to much was he, nor Modric ??

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure if anyone has been following his season but what a strange one it has been.

He joined Cardiff for the first half of it (when they loaned Flint out) but played just once, was blamed for the winning goal in the only game he did.

In January he joined Leicester affiliate club O H Leuven on loan but it’s gone even worse there, he hasn’t played at all & clearly isn’t injured because he is often on the subs bench.

I must admit I thought there was a real player here, unsurprisingly for a Croatian he’s good on the ball, he’s bloody tall, so good in the air, scored a couple for us & at 23 is a good age.

Having let Baker & Mariappa go & with Mawson leaving early too, we are at least one (arguably 2) central defenders light & based on Brendan Rogers not rating him (he made a comment about him being miles away from the standard he needed) we could definitely do a deal here if we wanted.

Wont he be too young to play for us soon though?

Archived