IGNORED

Medical Team (2+2=5)

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Stayed in a hostel on a school trip to Ypres circa 2001. The guy called Frank that ran the whole place (which was like something from a horror film) also ran the bar at night. We were 16 but the teachers wanted to get on it as much as we did, so let us have a few. Frank used to get pissed too, and would end up giving you more change back than money you’d given him, so we were being paid to drink. Win  

Pretty sure the beer was called freedom pils and taste fairly terrible but was quite strong? Ring any bells for the Belgian beer buffs amongst you?!

Apologies for thread derail but I’ve been thinking on and off about this for about 20 years. 

Report it to the Police, you may be due some compensation.  ? :clapping:

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Leuven, or Louvain, as I knew it when I lived and worked there, is a most beautiful little town, but you would be better off chosing a beer from one of their numerous small, independent breweries.

Incidentally, the Stella sold in Belgium is not a patch on the Stella Artois with which you are probably familiar in the UK.

I agree about the independent breweries but would beg to differ about the Stella, I always preferred Belgian Stella. In fact anything that says 'Brewed under license in the UK' should come with both a health and lack of taste warning. 

44 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Stayed in a hostel on a school trip to Ypres circa 2001. The guy called Frank that ran the whole place (which was like something from a horror film) also ran the bar at night. We were 16 but the teachers wanted to get on it as much as we did, so let us have a few. Frank used to get pissed too, and would end up giving you more change back than money you’d given him, so we were being paid to drink. Win  

Pretty sure the beer was called freedom pils and taste fairly terrible but was quite strong? Ring any bells for the Belgian beer buffs amongst you?!

Apologies for thread derail but I’ve been thinking on and off about this for about 20 years. 

https://www.saveur-biere.com/en/bottled-beer/2689-freedom-pils.html

43 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

It rings a vague bell - it was many years ago when I lived in Belgium - and, if it is the same beer, it came in a bottle rather than draft.

I hope this brings you some form of relief/closure.

Just now, SecretSam said:

Is it Kwak that comes with its own bizarre glass?

yes, like a yard of ale. The bar we went to in Ghent had a system where you had to hand in one of your shoes (which went in a small basket suspended high up on the ceiling) in return for the glass. 

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My apologies to @Davefevs - I appear to have been responsible for derailing this thread.

A legit derailment though.

I had a very enjoyable foray to Brugges a few years back. Train to Dover, ferry to Calais, then cycled to Brugges from there. 

Delirium Tremens and the ubiquitous Brugges Zot were our favourites, Chimay had nice variety as well.

I have never heard of this physio bloke, but if he comes from Leuven and can get any of these beers into the concourse taps, then that would be an immediate upgrade on Rolls. I'd also suggest that sticking a pint of Tremens down his neck would get Joe Williams back on the grass in an instant.

5 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes, like a yard of ale. The bar we went to in Ghent had a system where you had to hand in one of your shoes (which went in a small basket suspended high up on the ceiling) in return for the glass. 

A lot of beers from the independent Belgian breweries come with their own glasses, including most of those mentioned in this thread.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

A legit derailment though.

I had a very enjoyable foray to Brugges a few years back. Train to Dover, ferry to Calais, then cycled to Brugges from there. 

Delirium Tremens and the ubiquitous Brugges Zot were out favourites, Chimay had nice variety as well.

I have never heard of this physio bloke, but if he comes from Leuven and can get any of these beers into the concourse taps, then that would be an immediate upgrade on Rolls. I'd also suggest that sticking a pint of Tremens down his neck would get Joe Williams back on the grass in an instant.

Wow!

I remember that one - it comes in a ceramic bottle with an elephant label.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A lot of beers from the independent Belgian breweries come with their own glasses, including most of those mentioned in this thread.

We had one, came in a glass shaped like an old drinking horn. It was accompanied by a wooden stand to prop the horn up in.

It was simultaneously very pointy and incredibly pointless.

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow!

I remember that one - it comes in a ceramic bottle with an elephant label.

It can be found in a few pubs in England. In London, the Dove on Broadway Market serves it (and Chimay). 

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My apologies to @Davefevs - I appear to have been responsible for derailing this thread.

Absolutely fine.

Renember going to Belgos (The Granary for you oldies, Loch Fyne for you youngsters) and deciding to choose from their extensive list of beers by alcohol percentage - highest first.  Had about 3 (not even pints) and felt decidedly pissed….albeit didn’t cost me much.

Used to like the old Gold Label Barley Wine (10%) stuff back in the say.

Also, reminds me of my bruv and mine beer mat collection.  Carry on, carry on.

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It rings a vague bell - it was many years ago when I lived in Belgium - and, if it is the same beer, it came in a bottle rather than draft.

I hope this brings you some form of relief/closure.

That’s he! And look at that label. Magnificent. Just as I remember.

Now I’m not saying you should avoid drinking it at all costs, or that is tastes like piss, but coincidentally I have now found it for 30p a bottle from a website called prik and tick. Make of that what you will. 

Thanks OTIB. You’ve made my day

https://www.prikentik.be/freedom-pils-fles-25cl

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely fine.

Renember going to Belgos (The Granary for you oldies, Loch Fyne for you youngsters) and deciding to choose from their extensive list of beers by alcohol percentage - highest first.  Had about 3 (not even pints) and felt decidedly pissed….albeit didn’t cost me much.

Used to like the old Gold Label Barley Wine (10%) stuff back in the say.

Also, reminds me of my bruv and mine beer mat collection.  Carry on, carry on.

It's quite strong, isn't it?

21 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

We had an awful (amazing!) afternoon on this stuff in Brussels, there was 3 of us and the bar were doing buy 3 get 1 free, and we played games and loser had to down the spare... needless to say one of the lads was in an awful way a few hours later 

Can I just check regarding Stella Artois.

Is she coming in to replace Rolls as Head of Performance or is it all just froth? 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Can I just check regarding Stella Artois.

Is she coming in to replace Rolls as Head of Performance or is it all just froth? 

Hasn't got the bottle for the job....

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

This is OTIB,  every thread gets derailed. Its what we do !!

It could get back on track. Next season, we could have a new medical team treating players for potentially season ending hangovers.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’ve been there, it’s called;

Het Waterhaus aan de Bierkant & as @Merrick's Marvels can testify, I fell off my stool at the end of the evening..

Belgium & the Czech Republic are basically beer heaven, though perhaps not the next day..

Archived