IGNORED

The most hyped City player ever.

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In the thread on that quitter Walsh , it was mentioned that he is the most ‘ over ‘ hyped City player ever.

Do you agree ?

Marvin Brown takes some beating . Ten million !!!

By a country mile Your Maj

7 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

who was the guy who was explosive in a preseason friendly for some dutch or belgium side, we signed him and was "not so good" I think he went on and had quite bad health issue.

Evander Sno?

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In the thread on that quitter Walsh , it was mentioned that he is the most ‘ over ‘ hyped City player ever.

Do you agree ?

Marvin Brown takes some beating . Ten million !!!

I don't think anyone overhyped Walsh. He's a player who was Coventry's Player of the Season in League 1 in a season they got promoted, and he played in a way that many people want a midfielder to play that we haven't had or seen in a long time. From clips and feedback from Coventry fans, he seemed to be a genuine playmaker, good passing range, and a bit tenacious in his tackle despite his small stature.

What people wanted, was to see if he could translate this into our championship team so we could have someone in midfield who would possible dictate play, or move the ball forward quicker, or show a bit of steel. THAT is why people wanted to get him fit or back in the team or even sign a new contract, because of the potential of a useful player being part of the squad. No-one thought we had a prime Pirlo sat on injury table.

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I would argue whether Bridges and Stewart did to be fair but they all had far more oppurtunity to play than Walsh.

Either one would have been a good signing, to bring both in was ridiculous .

1 minute ago, grifty said:

I don't think anyone overhyped Walsh. He's a player who was Coventry's Player of the Season in League 1 in a season they got promoted, and he played in a way that many people want a midfielder to play that we haven't had or seen in a long time. From clips and feedback from Coventry fans, he seemed to be a genuine playmaker, good passing range, and a bit tenacious in his tackle despite his small stature.

What people wanted, was to see if he could translate this into our championship team so we could have someone in midfield who would possible dictate play, or move the ball forward quicker, or show a bit of steel. THAT is why people wanted to get him fit or back in the team or even sign a new contract, because of the potential of a useful player being part of the squad. No-one thought we had a prime Pirlo sat on injury table.

People were saying we should build the team around him. He has shown nothing for us granted that he hasn't played that much but i don't think he is championship standard.

1 minute ago, Super said:

People were saying we should build the team around him. He has shown nothing for us granted that he hasn't played that much but i don't think he is championship standard.

If we gave him game time and he played well, then a "genuine playmaker, good passing range, and a bit tenacious in his tackle" is exactly who we should be building a team around no?

20 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Evander Sno?

Sno was signed in the same window as Alvaro Saborio. Put them together and it’s a double hype. This was one of the never ending pre-seasons when I was excited by City’s signing, only to be rudely brought down to earth when the season got under way. 

28 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Evander Sno?

We seem able to repeatedly sign talented footballers and turn them to utter dog shite,  is there something in the water at ashton gate? Countless millions have been pissed up the wall and no matter what we do it never changes! Ajax had luis suarez playing for them that day, if we had got our hands on him he would be turning out for weston super mare by now.

I think what frustrates me about Walsh is that - like so many other players - he's left without us even finding out whether he would have been good enough. This follows signings like Szmodics, Adelakun, Eisa and arguably Engvall too, plus players like Morrell from the youth system.

Obviously several of those players haven't pulled trees up elsewhere, and that might tell its own story, but it just feels like we sign players and lose them before they've even had a fair crack of the whip. 

In hindsight, issue is decision to sign Henriksson instead of recall Walsh last January.

If we'd recalled him then, he might have looked good or he might have looked awful but at least he'd have had a chance to show what he could do at this level and we'd have had something to base the contract decision on.

34 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Evander Sno?

Always thought he looked a quality player but Gary Johnson kept playing him as a winger despite being a centre mid. Can remember at least one occasion where he came on with 20 mins left and won MOTM. Had some hard luck with injuries, personal circumstances and then had a heart attack.

David James is an obvious one for the most hyped city player. Signing England's number one as a championship club felt incredible at the time, then of course he stepped onto the pitch.

Has to be Bridges and Stewart who were huge, high-profile signings at League One level (the Stewart signing had its own press conference as I recall?), but neither delivered. Bridges started just 4 games for us and Stewart played about 25 times in 18 months scoring just 5 goals.

James was ultimately a disappointment but at least we got 80-odd appearances out of him. 

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Sno was signed in the same window as Alvaro Saborio. Put them together and it’s a double hype. This was one of the never ending pre-seasons when I was excited by City’s signing, only to be rudely brought down to earth when the season got under way. 

Saborio looked good until he got his hair cut.  This reinforces one of my main theories about football: never change a winning haircut.

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Always thought he looked a quality player but Gary Johnson kept playing him as a winger despite being a centre mid. Can remember at least one occasion where he came on with 20 mins left and won MOTM. Had some hard luck with injuries, personal circumstances and then had a heart attack.

David James is an obvious one for the most hyped city player. Signing England's number one as a championship club felt incredible at the time, then of course he stepped onto the pitch.

Same thing happened with Lee Trundle.  Scored for fun for Swansea, so where does GJ stick him ..... out on the right wing, in spite of a total lack of pace.  

Another in a long line of square pegs in round holes during GJ’s tenure and makes you wonder what we’d have seen if they had been played in their rightful positions.

Probably in the minority here but I thought that guy we signed from Celtic under Gary Johnson was pretty crap - the one who had played in the champion's league for them - Paul Hartley was it? He was the one who's beard growth was about the best thing about him!!!

To be fair the Celtic fans did say at the time we got him that his legs had gone.  

13 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Sno was a fantastic footballer, who should have done much better. As you say, GJ only played him wide, no doubt to accomodate LJ, IIRC ? :facepalm::facepalm:

12 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Probably in the minority here but I thought that guy we signed from Celtic under Gary Johnson was pretty crap - the one who had played in the champion's league for them - Paul Hartley was it? He was the one who's beard growth was about the best thing about him!!!

To be fair the Celtic fans did say at the time we got him that his legs had gone.  

Yeah I completely disagree with you on that tbf. Thought he was class for us and potentially could have stayed if not for GJ throwing in LJ instead of him.

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah I completely disagree with you on that tbf. Thought he was class for us and potentially could have stayed if not for GJ throwing in LJ instead of him.

We could certainly done with some of his qualities this season, that’s for sure!

Archived