IGNORED

The most hyped City player ever.

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

Marcus Stewart.

I have a vague memory of there being a press conference where fans were invited. Either that or I snuck in on my way to school ?

Yep was in the old Dolman Hall, even had t-shirts for it. Think @Dave L might have run the presser for it. 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Probably in the minority here but I thought that guy we signed from Celtic under Gary Johnson was pretty crap - the one who had played in the champion's league for them - Paul Hartley was it? He was the one who's beard growth was about the best thing about him!!!

To be fair the Celtic fans did say at the time we got him that his legs had gone.  

You will be very much in the minority there. Paul Hartley was class. He didn’t need legs with his positioning and passing range. 

3 hours ago, grifty said:

I don't think anyone overhyped Walsh. He's a player who was Coventry's Player of the Season in League 1 in a season they got promoted, and he played in a way that many people want a midfielder to play that we haven't had or seen in a long time. From clips and feedback from Coventry fans, he seemed to be a genuine playmaker, good passing range, and a bit tenacious in his tackle despite his small stature.

What people wanted, was to see if he could translate this into our championship team so we could have someone in midfield who would possible dictate play, or move the ball forward quicker, or show a bit of steel. THAT is why people wanted to get him fit or back in the team or even sign a new contract, because of the potential of a useful player being part of the squad. No-one thought we had a prime Pirlo sat on injury table.

Agreed. As @petehinton said on the OSIB podcast, if you discount that he was already our player, essentially the two best players in League One last year were Ivan Toney and Liam Walsh.

Brentford signed Toney and we ‘signed’ Walsh. 

It’s crazy what has transpired since, but people had good reason to be excited by signing arguably the best midfielder in league 1 last year, who helped guide Coventry to promotion.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Each to their own, I thought Hartley was the best passing Midfielder we had since Tinnion. Was superb at spotting Maynard's runs in particular

Indeed. He came across as a really good pro aswell, always used to give 100% i thought. I can see Nige bringing a Hartley type midfielder in this summer to be honest, it’s players like that we are crying out for IMO.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Agreed. As @petehinton said on the OSIB podcast, if you discount that he was already our player, essentially the two best players in League One last year were Ivan Toney and Liam Walsh.

Brentford signed Toney and we ‘signed’ Walsh. 

It’s crazy what has transpired since, but people had good reason to be excited by signing arguably the best midfielder in league 1 last year, who helped guide Coventry to promotion.

Sorry, he was shite

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry, he was shite

How was he shite?

I certainly can’t say he was brilliant for us but i’m struggling to see how he was shite?

Again, we essentially signed one of the 2/3 best players in League One last year. What’s not to like about that?

14 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. He came across as a really good pro aswell, always used to give 100% i thought. I can see Nige bringing a Hartley type midfielder in this summer to be honest, it’s players like that we are crying out for IMO.

He had the aggression and stature of Tommy Doc and the passing and vision of Tinman. Was disappointed he didn't sign for another season.

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Tomlin, Bridges, Stewart, Trundle were all far more over hyped than Liam Walsh

Lee Trundle for me. Wasn't needed, was old, cost a packet and did very little. Remembered for one goal, that's it.

Why take one touch, when you can take 3 (and slow the game down) (so that you can keep up with it)

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

You will be very much in the minority there. Paul Hartley was class. He didn’t need legs with his positioning and passing range. 

And fans will say he was a leader on the pitch, something that has been lacking recently.

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

How was he shite?

I certainly can’t say he was brilliant for us but i’m struggling to see how he was shite?

Again, we essentially signed one of the 2/3 best players in League One last year. What’s not to like about that?

How many games did he play for us in how many years ? And to pre-empt the obvious response of how wonderful he was when out on loan. How could he not do the same in a City shirt. He was crap. I know it, you know it, and at last the club have realised it. Bye bye, Ooo Roo & good riddance. He stole a wage from us more than most. Hope he loves Swansea if they are indeed daft enough to take him.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I got pelters here for saying that, never did see what others did. Mind everyone was at their Pitman love in stage and I got pelters for that too. 

I always thought Hartley had class, and was quite useful in the tackle. Wonderful player. We never used him correctly; ditto Pitman, who scored shedloads everywhere but here. A born finisher. 

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Same thing happened with Lee Trundle.  Scored for fun for Swansea, so where does GJ stick him ..... out on the right wing, in spite of a total lack of pace.  

Another in a long line of square pegs in round holes during GJ’s tenure and makes you wonder what we’d have seen if they had been played in their rightful positions.

Although, to be fair, the goal he scored against Scunthorpe from just that sort of position was a cracker.

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

How many games did he play for us in how many years ? And to pre-empt the obvious response of how wonderful he was when out on loan. How could he not do the same in a City shirt. He was crap. I know it, you know it, and at last the club have realised it. Bye bye, Ooo Roo & good riddance. He stole a wage from us more than most. Hope he loves Swansea if they are indeed daft enough to take him.

As always Tone, I admire your candor ?

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Trundle cost a million and it was his goals that got us to the Championship play off final.

I thought it was Dele Adebola's goals that were the important ones. Never has a player been more aptly named than "Trundle" - frequently overtaken by glaciers.

9 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Joe Royle. After scoring 4 on his debut he scored about a dozen in a hundred bloody games.

4 on debut, hat-trick v Cov on Boxing Day, in between not a lot else.

But he scored the goal v Liverpool - my first game (Cov was my second), so he was alright in my book. ?

16 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

cant remember his name but we also borrowed some ginger left back from man city. he was proper dog shite too

Ryan McGivern.

The argument could be made for Danny Rose to be fair. Scored in the North London derby in April, joined us in September, went back to Spurs in February. Obviously went on to be a top player, but was shi** here.

Just now, Selred said:

Ryan McGivern.

The argument could be made for Danny Rose to be fair. Scored in the North London derby in April, joined us in September, went back to Spurs in February. Obviously went on to be a top player, but was shi** here.

Don't recall McGivern ever being 'hyped'.

Or did I miss that post?

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Don't recall McGivern ever being 'hyped'.

Or did I miss that post?

I agree, although he was touted as a professional footballer which I guess was hyped for his ability, or lack of.

Archived