IGNORED

The most hyped City player ever.

Major Isewater

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

4 on debut, hat-trick v Cov on Boxing Day, in between not a lot else.

But he scored the goal v Liverpool - my first game (Cov was my second), so he was alright in my book. ?

He was top player to be fair but i seem to remember one game when Clive Whitehead was ripping the full back a new one.

Clive stuck 4 or 5 crosses perfectly on Joes head ( Heading being Joe's strength) and he headed the lot into the open end.

I haven't read any posts on here but back in the 1970's City had a youngster named Shaun Penney. He was thought of very highly, I understand that City paid for him to go to Millfield School so he could play rather than sit at a school desk.

Got a few first team games but never made it. Went to Rovers and ultimate obscurity.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I haven't read any posts on here but back in the 1970's City had a youngster named Shaun Penney. He was thought of very highly, I understand that City paid for him to go to Millfield School so he could play rather than sit at a school desk.

Got a few first team games but never made it. Went to Rovers and ultimate obscurity.

I assume the obscurity started the moment he signed for the Fewers, rather than when he left them.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

do you think he wanted to stay at coventry for another year and got pd off he couldnt do it? weird how he went from great to non existant over preseason

I think so yes. Was never great for us and found his level with them.

If we turn this into a "promised much, delivered little" then you can add Ryan Kent, Peter Odemwingie, Adam El-Abd, Marlon Harewood, Andre Blackman and a cast of thousands to it.

If the thread is about young players who Otibers have got over-exited by, I'll add Freddie Hinds, John Akinde and Jordan Wynter into the mix. 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In the thread on that quitter Walsh , it was mentioned that he is the most ‘ over ‘ hyped City player ever.

Do you agree ?

Marvin Brown takes some beating . Ten million !!!

Calling Walsh a quitter is a bit harsh..........It's all very well NP saying that he only wants those players willing to come on board of his project, but if Walsh was offered a bad deal, he cannot be called a quitter?  He might well have been happy to stay if the pay and length of contract were decent?   He was phecked over by our appalling medical team, which meant he never got a chance during the season to show his worth.

So Swansea or another good Championship side will now pick him up on a free ..........and we   write of a Million quid, thanks to Ashton and his buddy Rolls.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Calling Walsh a quitter is a bit harsh..........It's all very well NP saying that he only wants those players willing to come on board of his project, but if Walsh was offered a bad deal, he cannot be called a quitter?  He might well have been happy to stay if the pay and length of contract were decent?   He was phecked over by our appalling medical team, which meant he never got a chance during the season to show his worth.

So Swansea or another good Championship side will now pick him up on a free ..........and we   write of a Million quid, thanks to Ashton and his buddy Rolls.

He quit  City , however you look at it that makes him a quitter. 

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dziekanowski. Exceptionally talented, yes. But his actual contribution was negligible really; the hero worship he still gets is out of all proportion. Could have been another Gazza but only matched him in the drinking stakes.

Marcus Stewart for me. I thought he was awful for us after high hopes when he signed. 

David James was a terrible signing and arrived with such fanfare. 

On the flip side, some of our best players signed with little or no hype. Murray came from Aston Villa and was a complete unknown. My first real memory of him is when he tenaciously fought for the ball and crossed for Goater to score v the fewers in the 1997-98 promotion season. Bob Taylor arrive from Leeds (I think) and no-one knew about him - what a player he turned out to be.

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Remember Ben Gladwin? Played amazingly against us and I think there were plenty of people myself included that wanted him to sign for us, all very exciting when we finally got him on loan nothing really happened.... 

injured first game.

At Swindon reminded me of a lower league Chris Waddle.

4 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

You could say both Brown brothers fit into this category. Both were linked with top flight moves and played youth football for England. Aaron I believe was in the same youth team as Owen? He showed glimpses but never even made Championship football did he? 

Ribeiro was another who's career was absolutely screwed by injuries and was hyped to be a top player.

Couldn't believe it when Aaron ended up at Tamworth.....he was better than that..... :whistle2:

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

To be fair to Tomlin he was very good during his loan spell, it was worth buying a ticket just to see him play.

I wouldn't say he was over hyped and he was genuinely great to watch.

Tomlin was this generations Tony Dinning.

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He quit  City , however you look at it that makes him a quitter. 

He had come to the end of his contract.  That's not quitting, it's just not committing to a longer deal.

10 minutes ago, Offside said:

Marcus Stewart for me. I thought he was awful for us after high hopes when he signed. 

David James was a terrible signing and arrived with such fanfare. 

On the flip side, some of our best players signed with little or no hype. Murray came from Aston Villa and was a complete unknown. My first real memory of him is when he tenaciously fought for the ball and crossed for Goater to score v the fewers in the 1997-98 promotion season. Bob Taylor arrive from Leeds (I think) and no-one knew about him - what a player he turned out to be.

Didn’t we pay £225k plus Carl Shutt for SuperBob? In 1989 for a third division outfit that was quite an outlay and Shutty was not a bad player either.

Luckily Bob Taylor lived up to the price tag, and then some, resulting in us making a massive £75k profit on him when he left for WBA, of course, he went on to do nothing for them at all so great piece of business.

Should have let his contract run down and “got value on the pitch”.

Give me strength.

I do not think its a stretch to say that in this day and age, we would have been fighting off bids of £10-12m plus for him if the start of the 90/91 season was now.

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

cant remember his name but we also borrowed some ginger left back from man city. he was proper dog shite too

Ryan McGivern. Bright white hair. 

Once saw him in syndicate at the bar, with potentially the biggest roll of £20 notes I’ve ever seen. 

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Yep was in the old Dolman Hall, even had t-shirts for it. Think @Dave L might have run the presser for it. 

Not guilty your honour. I did run a fans tribute to Brian Tinnion in the Dolman around that time which you may be confusing it with. That was a fun night. Tins reenacting his Liverpool goal using members of the audience and Geoff Twentyman as The Kop.

13 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Ryan Kent, Michael Bridges, Marcus Stewart, Lois Diony, Jonathan Leko, Gustav Engvall, Nicky Hunt, Tony Dinning. 

Those are the only ones I can think of. 

And look at how Ryan Kent is doing now. One if the Rangers 'Invincibles' and still only 24.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

The argument could be made for Danny Rose to be fair. Scored in the North London derby in April, joined us in September, went back to Spurs in February. Obviously went on to be a top player, but was shi** here.

He quite obviously couldn't be arsed and played like an utter shitehawk in his time with us. Contrast him with Caulker who arrived at the same time & their attitudes and application couldn't have been more different. Caulker looked like a future England captain. Rose looked like a future England scarf seller. 

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

He quite obviously couldn't be arsed and played like an utter shitehawk in his time with us. Contrast him with Caulker who arrived at the same time & their attitudes and application couldn't have been more different. Caulker looked like a future England captain. Rose looked like a future England scarf seller. 

From memory Danny Rose came down here a bit big-time, insisted he was not a left-back, and insisted on playing left-wing thinking he was Ryan Giggs whilst getting less interested every week.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

There were far worse than Penny to be fair but I do recall the promise he bestowed upon us followed quickly by hype and then deflation. All rather sad really 

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

I was expecting big things with Nicky Hunt.

To say things didn't quite work out is an understatement to say the least !

That's the kiddy.... His entire body stance suggested he had a hip problem or one leg shorter than the other.... I am sure Rolls was working him part time at home before he joined City. Has to be.

Bo Andersen the keeper came with some decent pedigree and a bit of a fanfare from Denmark. Seem to remember he looked about 5 foot 6 inches tall - don’t get me wrong, many have shrunk in front of the goalmouths at Ashton Gate but he seemed soooo short.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

But as he is under 24 if we offered him a contract don't we get compensation ?

Archived