IGNORED

The most hyped City player ever.

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Ryan Kent, Michael Bridges, Marcus Stewart, Lois Diony, Jonathan Leko, Gustav Engvall, Nicky Hunt, Tony Dinning. 

Those are the only ones I can think of. 

Blimey, Nicky Hunt! I remember him being talked about as an upgrade on Bradley Orr because of his Premier League experience, but crikey he was woeful for us. 

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Marcus Stewart for me. I thought he was awful for us after high hopes when he signed. 

David James was a terrible signing and arrived with such fanfare. 

On the flip side, some of our best players signed with little or no hype. Murray came from Aston Villa and was a complete unknown. My first real memory of him is when he tenaciously fought for the ball and crossed for Goater to score v the fewers in the 1997-98 promotion season. Bob Taylor arrive from Leeds (I think) and no-one knew about him - what a player he turned out to be.

I think Taylor was hounded out by leeds boo boys or that was the rumour at the time 

there lose was our gain 

Kevin Mabbutt at the time got an enormous amount of hype.

Granted he was talented but in terms of buzz around him back then the PR machine was in overdrive

Sponsored TR7, his own fan club, how many BCFC players can claim a hat trick at Man U?

Good looking boy with girls falling over themselves for him, turns out to be gay

How city is that?

Lee Trundle suffered from the tactical ineptitude of GJ (who I love) as much as his own physical shortcomings. Probably should have been the loan striker with Noble, Sproule and McIndoe around him in a 4-2-3-1. Or swap Noble with Adebola and put Trundle in the playmaker role. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Ryan McGivern. Bright white hair. 

Once saw him in syndicate at the bar, with potentially the biggest roll of £20 notes I’ve ever seen. 

i stand corrected ,i remember it being bright,thats what told you he lost the ball again

10 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Everyone was excited when we announced Michael Bridges and Marcus Stewart -  They were supposed to be the dream team - didn't quite work out that way.

Dog shit had a part in that though 

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

Kevin Mabbutt at the time got an enormous amount of hype.

Granted he was talented but in terms of buzz around him back then the PR machine was in overdrive

Sponsored TR7, his own fan club, how many BCFC players can claim a hat trick at Man U?

Good looking boy with girls falling over themselves for him, turns out to be gay

How city is that?

The girls were gay ?

Has anyone mentioned Taylor Moore after he goes 2 games without costing a goal?! Until about last Xmas, the way some went on about him you’d think Van Dijk was being left out of the side!!

Top of the hat though to:

Joe Morrell

Liam Walsh

Andreas Weimann (who seems to have become De Bruyne since his injury)

5 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Bo Andersen the keeper came with some decent pedigree and a bit of a fanfare from Denmark. Seem to remember he looked about 5 foot 6 inches tall - don’t get me wrong, many have shrunk in front of the goalmouths at Ashton Gate but he seemed soooo short.

Remember someone saying to me that he must have looked much bigger in the catalogue..

He was Ronnie Sinclair short & in an early game (think it was a friendly to help settle him in) got chipped from miles out.

9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

His last game before signing was for England at the World Cup, his first game for us he got 3 put past him v Millwall if I remember correctly! ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Its all about opinions. I can't recall another City goalkeeper saving TWO penalties in a match but David James did.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Still have that 5-0 in the sunshine, East end open again. 

For 1 game at least we had promise.. 

I assume you have the wrong season and you are thinking of the Lee Amigos vs Notts County in 03/04 season, 5-0 opening day win in the heat.

2005 they joined and can never remember a 5-0 win with those 2 up front. 

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

With a name like Bo Andersen he probably went back to furniture design. Always a good fallback if you're a Dane.

.......or a good flatpack if you’re a Swede.

14 hours ago, havanatopia said:

That's the kiddy.... His entire body stance suggested he had a hip problem or one leg shorter than the other.... I am sure Rolls was working him part time at home before he joined City. Has to be.

Over 500 league games though, and still playing last season in National League North at the age of 37.

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Danny Haynes worthy of a mention? Came from Ipswich with a huge reputation.  

Had a sensational game at home to West Brom though when we beat them 2-1.  I think little Lee scored the winner in that one.

Anyone remember Steve Johnson?  Big striker signed from Wigan for £40,000 in 1985 amid much hype, but only played 21 games for us, scoring three, before returning to the North. 

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In the thread on that quitter Walsh , it was mentioned that he is the most ‘ over ‘ hyped City player ever.

Do you agree ?

Marvin Brown takes some beating . Ten million !!!

That’s unfair, Marin was unlucky, it just didn’t  work out for him.   England youth player great prospect.  Let’s not for forget,  Danny Wilson’s team also had good quality strikers at the club. Hard to break through.  He had one chance hit the post.  Then we never saw him again.

I remember a conversation I had with other ex players of that time and friends of Marvin.  We talked about that match what would of happened if that shot went in...  It could of been a different outcome.  Some players make it, most don’t.  He still played at a good level.

14 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone remember Steve Johnson?  Big striker signed from Wigan for £40,000 in 1985 amid much hype, but only played 21 games for us, scoring three, before returning to the North. 

Yes, I am THAT old. Cooper only ever seemed to sign midgets as strikers, so he brings in this lump. First touch of an Ocean Liner. 

Went to Chester and then bloody scored against us, I know, I was there...

PS thought it was £30k? And that was Cooper's highest fee. To think we got Alan Walsh for £18.5k or something...robbery...

Archived