IGNORED

The most hyped City player ever.

Major Isewater

16 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Probably in the minority here but I thought that guy we signed from Celtic under Gary Johnson was pretty crap - the one who had played in the champion's league for them - Paul Hartley was it? He was the one who's beard growth was about the best thing about him!!!

To be fair the Celtic fans did say at the time we got him that his legs had gone.  

Each to their own, I thought Hartley was the best passing Midfielder we had since Tinnion. Was superb at spotting Maynard's runs in particular

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

We could certainly done with some of his qualities this season, that’s for sure!

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Each to their own, I thought Hartley was the best passing Midfielder we had since Tinnion. Was superb at spotting Maynard's runs in particular

Agreed, from what I remember he had a bit of aggression. One time tried to headbutt the opposition player whilst holding the ball when the ref gave a 50 50 decision to them. He had decent ability on the ball and decent technical ability scoring a free kick on one or more occasions.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Hartley oozed class, as did Sno. We didn't get to see either for long enough.

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I got pelters here for saying that, never did see what others did. Mind everyone was at their Pitman love in stage and I got pelters for that too. 

You get pelters for a lot of things tbf. Sometimes I think certain people just like to be in the minority for the sake of it. 

31 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Probably in the minority here but I thought that guy we signed from Celtic under Gary Johnson was pretty crap - the one who had played in the champion's league for them - Paul Hartley was it? He was the one who's beard growth was about the best thing about him!!!

To be fair the Celtic fans did say at the time we got him that his legs had gone.  

Each to their own, I'm still waiting for the club to replace him!

Depends exactly how you're going to measure someone as being overhyped. 

If you're measuring it by hype on here vs what they achieve in their career, then it's going to be someone who was touted as a top prospect as a youngster, but ended up dropping into local non league football. 

The level we were playing at at the time would also play a part.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Depends exactly how you're going to measure someone as being overhyped. 

If you're measuring it by hype on here vs what they achieve in their career, then it's going to be someone who was touted as a top prospect as a youngster, but ended up dropping into local non league football. 

The level we were playing at at the time would also play a part.

You could say both Brown brothers fit into this category. Both were linked with top flight moves and played youth football for England. Aaron I believe was in the same youth team as Owen? He showed glimpses but never even made Championship football did he? 

Ribeiro was another who's career was absolutely screwed by injuries and was hyped to be a top player.

50 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Sorry mate have to disagree.

“Zico” had genuine quality in a fading side. The two passes for two Maynard goals at home v Middlesbrough were the stuff of dreams.

Very high quality intelligent operator and a shame we did not have him when we were better.

53 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Funnily he's exactly the type of player I'd love us to sign this summer.

Shirt untucked and covered in mud about 10 mins into every game. Aggressive, experienced, and a great pass. I remember on his debut (I think) an opposition player went down easily, Hartley walked up, roughly pulled him to his feet, then wandered away with a smirk... Just what we've been missing!

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I got pelters here for saying that, never did see what others did. Mind everyone was at their Pitman love in stage and I got pelters for that too. 

Both Hartley and Pitman were genuinely very good footballers utilised poorly by our club.

Interesting what makes a good footballer to some.

Hartley was a forward thinking, mobile midfielder with a great first touch and a very good range of passing, who could also handle himself physically as well as being a dead-ball thinker and a team organiser.

Pitman was a classy, instinctive first-time natural finisher, with intelligence and guile, and incredible movement and touch.

I find it hard not to think of either as good footballers but it is a game of opinions I suppose!

3 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Who was that Egyptian player we very nearly almost signed?? Massive hyping, 100+ pages on here..

Emad Moteab. Actually had the story he'd signed on the OS, Uncle Pete (supposedly) posting on here from a cab in Cairo or something... can't remember the name he used to use now but we are going back over 10 years! Was a great saga on OTIB though.

edit: Think it was "yessir" https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/profile/6233-yessir/ 

14 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Aye game of opinions indeed, and love your descriptions. However neither really applied here for me

Pitman stuck on the wing and failed to show for us what he was about, in and out of the side and did faff all. Step too far at the time, sadly. 

Never got the Hartley love, especially when our midfield was absolutely bobbins with him in it. Blood, guts and Thunder only as his legs had gone wasnt enough but people liked that. He was a fish out of water here though and not in a positive way. 

The Peterborough train station story was lovely though. 

7 in 7 wasn’t if for Pitman when played through the middle? What you have described is a failure of management and selection, not the player. Pitman offered far more than what you suggest - “Step too far” - 20 goals in 36 starts for us, a strike-rate we would be over the moon with now.

Hartley - “blood, guts and thunder only”?!?! I must have mis-construed this as it is so far off it must be a mistake. “A fish out of water”? I am not sure I have been here long enough to know when I am being kidded but wow! 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One overhyped player that springs to mind - Tomlin.

To be fair to Tomlin he was very good during his loan spell, it was worth buying a ticket just to see him play.

I wouldn't say he was over hyped and he was genuinely great to watch.

11 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Aye game of opinions indeed, and love your descriptions. However neither really applied here for me

Pitman stuck on the wing and failed to show for us what he was about, in and out of the side and did faff all. Step too far at the time, sadly. 

Never got the Hartley love, especially when our midfield was absolutely bobbins with him in it. Blood, guts and Thunder only as his legs had gone wasnt enough but people liked that. He was a fish out of water here though and not in a positive way. 

The Peterborough train station story was lovely though. 

Pitman was absolutely lethal going through the middle, yet another player almost always played out of position by the manager. He was/is a natural goalscorer, always knew where the back of the net was and his consistent record across his career speaks for itself. Think that's a harsh review of Hartley as well, thought he looked too good for this level and he did very well at Aberdeen afterwards before retiring, but each to their own.

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Pitman was absolutely lethal going through the middle, yet another player almost always played out of position by the manager. He was/is a natural goalscorer, always knew where the back of the net was and his consistent record across his career speaks for itself. Think that's a harsh review of Hartley as well, thought he looked too good for this level and he did very well at Aberdeen afterwards before retiring, but each to their own.

Spot on. As I have just said in my edited my post. Brett Pitman hit 20 goals in 36 starts for us. Thats the sort of return from a first whistle we have been dreaming about for 8 years!!

Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm not going over stuff that's a  nearly decade old or more. 

Istr I did the stats analysis at the time for them both and from memory Pitman was bobbins

I'll see what I can dig out. 

Ha ha! Not going over stuff over a decade old? You criticised both players in a thread called “Most over-hyped city players ever”? Both players clearly should not be in this discussion so bit unrealistic to expect not to be challenged on it!

Do not trouble yourself too much digging out statistic analysis - I have eyes and like to think I know football, and 20 in 36 starts from my centre-forward is good enough stats for me.

Pitman did return to the 12/13 season out of shape and vastly out of form. Over hyped? Probably not, he had a fair few critics about his lack of effort on here as much as he had praise about his lethal finishing (which he was). He was decent in 2010/11 and during 11/12 good only in spells. 12/13 we got rid because he was out of shape, and didn't want to be here.

Neither over hyped or under hyped, just another player who did well elsewhere and should have done better here.

5 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nah, already did it in my post, 0 in 11 amongst others for the season under discussion. 

It's there again. 

Soccer base for the season under discussion

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=40540&season_id=141

Hope that helps

I mean the board get's tidied up now and again, and Im sure there's more discussion elsewhere to be had

If you want to go over it again and again and again and so forth and so on. 

Please do have a great day whilst the 'reminiscing' get's revisited.

Odd exchange but thanks.

Going to have to firmly agree to disagree with you on this one. You have been active on the forum for 11 years by the way?! Thought you must have been quite new based on your numbers.

Have a good one.

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Tomlin, Bridges, Stewart, Trundle were all far more over hyped than Liam Walsh

I would disagree with you 

Tomlin is a very good player, his ego gets in the way.

Bridges and Stewart had quick movement and could read the game quickly and were just too good for the rest of the team.

Trundle cost a million and it was his goals that got us to the Championship play off final.

So no, I don't believe any of these examples were overhyped.

Someone mentioned Evander Sno.

He too was a brilliant player when played in the right position, the trouble was Gary Johnson played him right wing a lot of the time.

Tony Dinning fits your example better.

53 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

You could say both Brown brothers fit into this category. Both were linked with top flight moves and played youth football for England. Aaron I believe was in the same youth team as Owen? He showed glimpses but never even made Championship football did he? 

Ribeiro was another who's career was absolutely screwed by injuries and was hyped to be a top player.

Aaron played quite a few games and was a regular towards the end of our Championship relegation season in 99. That said he ended up at Swindle so I take your point!

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Steve Jones, who we signed from Charlton, had a super hyped suntan 

If I remember correctly, the tan wasn't super hyped as it was truly as dark as was rumoured (albeit may have come from a bottle!). What was hyped was his footballing ability!

Archived