IGNORED

The real deal

where's the joy

You just know deep down in your bones that our time is coming.

Two top class appointments as Manager and CEO.

Wholesale clear out of the sick and wounded; fans coming back, a line up that is based on a 3-5- 2, (just like Cotts) and a recruitment plan to hire talent.

scouting for players that we see once every 5 years or so who can actually play and possess a first touch

A supply of ready made youngsters we are cooing about and we haven't seen the leading contender Sam Bell at his best yet.

But the happiest bit is that our beloved owner can't be arsed with the slow route anymore.

He's ready to get to the premiership, bump up the club value and either sell to get his money back or sit back and enjoy the ride. 

We have more potential than Leicester, far more than Swansea, Bournemouth or`Brentford; so why not us this time?

Look what Barnsley are doing with a change in formation and tactics and no money

Can't wait to get next season's party started........

up the football league we go

Nice to see a positive topic. 

I feel the next 2-3 years will be an opportunity for us to really push. 

But next season I feel we will be a 'work in progress' and would be surprised to see us back in the top 10.

As for more potential than Leicester...I'm not sure about that, but clubs like Leicester certainly give clubs like ours genuine hope. 

We have a higher ceiling than Burnley for example, but I'd love to see us follow in their footsteps.

COYR

9 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Wholesale clear out of the sick and wounded; fans coming back, a line up that is based on a 3-5- 2, (just like Cotts) and a recruitment plan to hire talent.

scouting for players that we see once every 5 years or so who can actually play and possess a first touch

A supply of ready made youngsters we are cooing about and we haven't seen the leading contender Sam Bell at his best yet.

But the happiest bit is that our beloved owner can't be arsed with the slow route anymore.

He's ready to get to the premiership, bump up the club value and either sell to get his money back or sit back and enjoy the ride. 

We have more potential than Leicester, far more than Swansea, Bournemouth or`Brentford; so why not us this time?

Look what Barnsley are doing with a change in formation and tactics and no money

Fair play love the optimism but its going to be bumpy for a bit i think  

13 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

I hope you’re right, but I’m not sure that Barnsley is the example to use. 

You say their success comes from a change of formation and tactics, but according to an article in the FT at the weekend that’s the opposite of what happened, and what they attribute their success to. They have a philosophy, a strategy, a playing style, and tactics that they don’t change when they change managers. They’ll only appoint a new manager who is willing and able to sign up to what’s in place. 

We seem to be doing the polar opposite: a full scale clear out, change of personnel, tactics, recruitment, the lot. I’m not saying that’s wrong: just that it’s not going to be a ‘quick route’ and it’s certainly not what Barnsley have done - unless the FT has got it wrong.

https://www.ft.com/content/a2724840-9851-4900-b331-e4be9247f7ed

I share you optimism but feel it'll take time.  Happy enough with how things are starting off and just going on some of the rumours we are obviously going full steam at securing a technical director/DoF to kick start recruitment.

I like that we are working behind the scenes identifying talent rather than just posting a vacancy on linked in and applying a thorough and rigorous process for the CVS that trickle in.  

At the level we operate the people we need will be known in football circles to be good at what they do.   And there are plenty of people to speak to that will have worked with them from whom we can get an opinion.  Football is a pretty small worked really. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s the hope that kills you. We got a massive overhaul within the club never mind the players. I wouldn’t expect too much next season. 

Not to mention the experience of the last 40 years!

I have absolutely no idea what next season will bring.

At present I have very little idea of the calibre of players we are after, our budget or even what formation we will play.

We were the worst side in the division based on results in 2021 & so apart from appointing an experienced manager who talks a lot of sense & has shown already that he is prepared to make huge changes, I have nothing to base too much optimism on.

By the start of August at least we will know the answers to a couple of these questions.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

You say their success comes from a change of formation and tactics, but according to an article in the FT at the weekend that’s the opposite of what happened, and what they attribute their success to. They have a philosophy, a strategy, a playing style, and tactics that they don’t change when they change managers. They’ll only appoint a new manager who is willing and able to sign up to what’s in place. 

We seem to be doing the polar opposite: a full scale clear out, change of personnel, tactics, recruitment, the lot. I’m not saying that’s wrong: just that it’s not going to be a ‘quick route’ and it’s certainly not what Barnsley have done - unless the FT has got it wrong.

We haven’t had a manager for 5 years who had a clearly defined and settled formation/ strategy of their own. Let alone worrying about tactics changing when managers change.

It’s the hope & expectation that always eats at you…

I would look at Norwich as the sort of model to strive for…in and out of the Premier league, even dropped down to league one I recall…but always bounce back. 
A lot of us here drool over Brentford, no success like Norwich when it comes to the top flight. 
Our fan base is similar…but not the 20k season ticket holders.  But Bristol blows away Norwich, I have family there. 
With the appointment of NP, new CEO, Interesting incomings, what’s not to be excited about.  No more clubs in the bag when it comes to players. Quality not quantity. 

We need a DoF to implement a lot of that. I also think Pearson will stick to 4 2 3 1 as is preferred formation.

We have certainly cleared a lot of players out, but those left are not comprising a team pushing for a top half finish at present. Our recruitment is going have to be pretty good.

Think the next 18 months will see a big transformation in the team / players, and then maybe, just maybe we can push on....

I'll go into this season optimistic as always (where's the fun otherwise? :D) but I'd be pretty pleased with 12th-14th next season considering we'll be bedding in lots of new players and staff. Expect a few games where we're really good, accept a few games where we're really shit. Don't get in too much danger of the drop and kick on from there. 

Nige says he thinks 3 years is a realistic time frame to get promoted, that would be a perfectly ok start in my opinion.  

15 hours ago, italian dave said:

Change of tactics implies we had some in the first place!

I'm not sure it's the polar opposite - we have a plan off the field, but no clear direction while on it. That's an essential change we need to make if we're ever going to be successful and stop filling our squad with players that we don't really want. 

We had a mass clear out and broke up the squad when Cotts was dismissed. 5 years on and we nearly went back to div. 1 . I think we are in this for the long haul. But I so want to be positive. Its not easy being a City fan.

1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Change of tactics implies we had some in the first place!

I'm not sure it's the polar opposite - we have a plan off the field, but no clear direction while on it. That's an essential change we need to make if we're ever going to be successful and stop filling our squad with players that we don't really want. 

But our (off field) recruitment is the reason we end up with players we don’t want. Generally teams have a squad of 24+ giving with the aim of having a like for like replacement for each position. It sometimes feels like we ended up with two separate sides each suited to an entirely different formation!

Look, I wasn’t really trying to make a point about whether or what tactics (or other plan) we had. Just simply that we are embarking on a complete overhaul of strategy and personnel and that Barnsley are not a good example of a side who’ve done that and got instant success. That’s where the polar opposite suggestion came from.

We need to put it right, and I really hope NP is the person to do it. Because otherwise we risk going back into that routine we had pre GJ where we change managers every year and (unlike Barnsley) that goes with a whole change of strategy, tactics, personnel every time, and that will get us nowhere. 

1 hour ago, marmite said:

We had a mass clear out and broke up the squad when Cotts was dismissed. 5 years on and we nearly went back to div. 1 . I think we are in this for the long haul. But I so want to be positive. Its not easy being a City fan.

Strange,,, I could have sworn that I read (on here) that anyone who ever made a contribution to any success LJ had was a “Cotts signing” ?

Id suggest we were closer to going back to Lge 1 before Cotts’ dismissal than we were after though. 

Last time we appointed a top class manager was Coppell and we know how that went. Anyone who thinks this is a short rebuilding job is deluded i think most would take mid table next season playing an exciting brand of football.

Next season WILL be interesting, there are a lot of clubs looking to have an overhaul brought about the financial impact of covid. It really will be down to how quickly the respective managers can get their squads to gel. In our case I feel the timing is crucial to have a major overhaul. Having an experienced manager with a clear vision really gives us, at the very, least a fighting chance. Personally, I feel its an incredibly hard job to undertake with so little time between now and the start of next season. 

No one should underestimate the task in hand. Without those fortuitous early wins we would have been relegated as crippled with injuries we were by far the worst side in the league.

I am looking for us to be fitter, more robust and be able to dictate and control the games better.   

Holding our own and in mid table is what a realistic outcome would be for me and would represent a fantastic turnaround considering the shambolic state we were left with. A lot, of course largely depends on the type of personnel NP can bring in both on and off the field.

Yes, next season WILL be interesting. 

18 hours ago, where's the joy said:

a line up that is based on a 3-5- 2, (just like Cotts) and a recruitment plan to hire talent.

As someone with a frame of reference that stretches beyond the last few years, I've seen 3-5-2 used disastrously. 

It's the players that count, not the system.

19 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Happy pills, I remember them! ;)

Go on @where's the joy, I'm with you pal!

We're going up! :drunk2:

COYR

18 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Sorry to say we do not have Leicesters potential ......winning the prem and all that.

Yep, we have been a 2/3 tier yoyo club for 35 years now. A load of money has been spent of facilities, but it will take a miracle for us to even get in the premier league, let alone win it.

Archived