IGNORED

The real deal

where's the joy

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I have absolutely no idea what next season will bring.

At present I have very little idea of the calibre of players we are after, our budget or even what formation we will play.

We were the worst side in the division based on results in 2021 & so apart from appointing an experienced manager who talks a lot of sense & has shown already that he is prepared to make huge changes, I have nothing to base too much optimism on.

By the start of August at least we will know the answers to a couple of these questions.

It's intriguing, isn't it?

We've probably never had a close season where recruitment is so important.

Nige with the right players = happy days.  Nige with the wrong players =  hello again League One.

There are so many gaps to be filled. Even question marks hanging over the worth of some of the retained players.

Some close seasons I've hardly looked at Otib. This one, I'll be following it closely for transfer news and rumours. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

But our (off field) recruitment is the reason we end up with players we don’t want. Generally teams have a squad of 24+ giving with the aim of having a like for like replacement for each position. It sometimes feels like we ended up with two separate sides each suited to an entirely different formation!

Look, I wasn’t really trying to make a point about whether or what tactics (or other plan) we had. Just simply that we are embarking on a complete overhaul of strategy and personnel and that Barnsley are not a good example of a side who’ve done that and got instant success. That’s where the polar opposite suggestion came from.

We need to put it right, and I really hope NP is the person to do it. Because otherwise we risk going back into that routine we had pre GJ where we change managers every year and (unlike Barnsley) that goes with a whole change of strategy, tactics, personnel every time, and that will get us nowhere. 

I think the basic principles of trying to buy players that increase in value and getting more from the youth are sound and certainly something we haven't done enough of in the past. It's too basic on its own though. As you say, we can end up with 2 almost completely different sides at times. Other than the keeper, every position has a multitude of qualities, attacking, defending, speed, height, strength etc. If attacking fullbacks are really important to our style of play, we need a couple of attacking fullbacks, not one attacking fullback and another great defender, but can't get past the halfway line!

Players are moving on for sure and we're getting a new Chief Exec, but if we can push recruiting to a style further up the priority list, this could be the start of something really good.

Feels like we're in a really peculiar position. On the one hand, I'm feeling just as positive as OP regarding the managerial, CEO and (rumoured) DoF appointments. It feels like we're getting real experts in to perform well in clearly defined roles.

On the other hand, we were the worst team in the league for large parts of last season (as supported by some abysmal stats), and have just let about half our squad go for free. I can see neutrals making a strong argument for us being a real relegation favourite for next season.

I think, as Person suggested, this will be more of a slow build over the next few years - Rome wasn't built in a day. Midtable with our backrooms staff sorted and some signs of greater potential will be a good (and realistic) season for us in 2021/22.

22 hours ago, where's the joy said:

We have more potential than Leicester, far more than Swansea, Bournemouth or`Brentford; so why not us this time?

As an aside:

Glad to see OP being very bold about our potential. I agree that we have more potential than many clubs that have been in the prem (including some who have been there for a number of years). Perhaps wouldn't say we have more potential than Leicester, but roughly the same potential? Sure, why not? (Granted I don't see us having the potential to win the Premier League, but realistically Leicester didn't either - as nice as it was, it was practically an act of God). 

Think it's really important that we don't play ourselves down - it really frustrates me to see our fans say things like "we're only Bristol City, we should be happy with Championship football". We're the biggest team in the 6th or 7th biggest City in England. If we don't have potential for growth, no one does!

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

As an aside:

Glad to see OP being very bold about our potential. I agree that we have more potential than many clubs that have been in the prem (including some who have been there for a number of years). Perhaps wouldn't say we have more potential than Leicester, but roughly the same potential? Sure, why not? (Granted I don't see us having the potential to win the Premier League, but realistically Leicester didn't either - as nice as it was, it was practically an act of God). 

Think it's really important that we don't play ourselves down - it really frustrates me to see our fans say things like "we're only Bristol City, we should be happy with Championship football". We're the biggest team in the 6th or 7th biggest City in England. If we don't have potential for growth, no one does!

We're as big as we aspire to be

On 17/05/2021 at 22:37, GrahamC said:

I have absolutely no idea what next season will bring.

At present I have very little idea of the calibre of players we are after, our budget or even what formation we will play.

We were the worst side in the division based on results in 2021 & so apart from appointing an experienced manager who talks a lot of sense & has shown already that he is prepared to make huge changes, I have nothing to base too much optimism on.

By the start of August at least we will know the answers to a couple of these questions.

And back down to earth we go ?

On 18/05/2021 at 07:38, Fiale said:

We need a DoF to implement a lot of that.

My thoughts exactly.

No single manager should really be doing this or we get into a cycle of changing everything again when we have to appoint the next one. Next step in the club's (and SL's) evolution hopefully.  

Given NP's success in building the foundations at Leicester, albeit with help, I'm hopeful he can do the same here.  But I don't think it's the right model long-term. 

Archived