IGNORED

J. Semenyo to Cardiff

HappyClapper

Jai, Antoine’s brother is about to sign for Cardiff according to Gregor. Came through SGS as well. Powerful full back apparently. Report claims we haven’t bothered to look at him but premier league clubs have been sniffing.

Poor scouting or Gregor on silly season?

So Gregor mentions City’s youth internationals but while talking about Antoine’s 17 year old brother he omits mentioning anywhere in the article City’s 17 year old right back whose played an age group up for Wales u18’s this season and City’s u23’s…? 

Gregor’s shot and missed here or just having to write something today but leaving out City’s own young rb as a reason we may not have signed the lad is poor 

23 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So Gregor mentions City’s youth internationals but while talking about Antoine’s 17 year old brother he omits mentioning anywhere in the article City’s 17 year old right back whose played an age group up for Wales u18’s this season and City’s u23’s…? 

Gregor’s shot and missed here or just having to write something today but leaving out City’s own young rb as a reason we may not have signed the lad is poor 

Thanks for this Lrrr. Who is the young RB you mention? Do you think that’s why the club released Harper?

1 hour ago, HappyClapper said:

Jai, Antoine’s brother is about to sign for Cardiff according to Gregor. Came through SGS as well. Powerful full back apparently. Report claims we haven’t bothered to look at him but premier league clubs have been sniffing.

Poor scouting or Gregor on silly season?

Maybe Antoine warned him.

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

100%.

Seems an unnecessarily sneery article to me.

At a time when our recruitment record, injury issues & the decisions that allowed so many players to be out of contract at the same time all are fair game, to criticise the club on a young player, when it is pretty much the only thing that has gone well in the season just ended, is frankly bizarre.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we haven't checked on him, presumably Ashton's database doesn't cover SGS ...do we even have "boots on the ground" anymore or is it all done from behind a screen?

Where do you think we spotted Antoine then?

15 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Thanks for this Lrrr. Who is the young RB you mention? Do you think that’s why the club released Harper?

Harper is a left back normally and City have Pring/Nurse who've both played league football and then Soady who was included with in the community game 1st team pre-season game a couple of years ago so rated as well, add Dasilva is only 23 City are stocked for young LB's is likely why.

As Jon mentions the young RB is Leeson

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we haven't checked on him, presumably Ashton's database doesn't cover SGS ...do we even have "boots on the ground" anymore or is it all done from behind a screen?

Well we have had players from both SGS and Mangotsfield, and I've no doubt SGS themselves make local clubs aware of any talent. Perhaps the club felt that they already had enough young players vying for the same position. Its no good for either the club or the individual  recruiting someone just or the sake of it.

I was under the impression we had links with both SGS and Bristol Central Youth?

Surprised to see we missed out Jaiden Wilson, who's gone to Chelsea. I don't know anything about him but it's surprise we're not in for the top prospects on our doorstep, seeing as we're supposedly the top pro club in the region. Not sure what to make of that. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

I was under the impression we had links with both SGS and Bristol Central Youth?

Surprised to see we missed out Jaiden Wilson, who's gone to Chelsea. I don't know anything about him but it's surprise we're not in for the top prospects on our doorstep, seeing as we're supposedly the top pro club in the region. Not sure what to make of that. 

How do we know we weren't?

Unfortunately I'm not sure that we could compete against the likes of Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

How do we know we weren't?

Unfortunately I'm not sure that we could compete against the likes of Chelsea. 

My point was about our supposed links with BCYFC and SGS, and why Cardiff and Chelsea have stolen a march on local talent. Was it a case of these two weren't on our scouts' radar, just like it was with Jack Butland signing for Birmingham from Clevedon United? That's what I'd want to know from that article. 

I agree with your point about not being able to compete with Chelsea, but I'd like to think - for example - if Wilson is a "top centre-back prospect" he'd have been in our academy a while ago due to our links with BCYFC.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I thought he played against us in a match arranged for training purposes and was noticed that way although I'm not 100% on my recollection. Several years ago I think.

It was a genuine question - do we still watch all levels or is our recruitment identification model mostly via video and stats. I don't know the answer.

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

I thought he played against us in a match arranged for training purposes and was noticed that way although I'm not 100% on my recollection. Several years ago I think.

It was a genuine question - do we still watch all levels or is our recruitment model mostly via video and stats. I don't know the answer.

As I understand it, the number of scouts we have has dwindled.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Just a brief correction on this one GC. City didn’t really ‘spot’ Antoine at SGS. He was more ‘brought to City’s attention”, by one of the City supporting coaches at SGS. 

On some of the wider points, anyone at SGS or Mangotsfield will be fully known to City. We won’t ‘miss’ anyone from here. More likely that we have players currently in those positions throughout the age groups and didn’t see this one as a ‘fit’. 

Also - to quell this one even further, I know some folks who’ve seen a lot of Mango’s and seen Jai play numerous times and he’s not particularly stood out. I think he’s one of those players who’s being looked at due to his ‘athleticism’ rather than his technical ability, so would be what you’d term in old money as “very raw”, so he’ll need a fair bit of work to reach a necessary level. We probably think the players we already have in his position are more advanced for their age. 

39 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

younger Brother signs for rivals.....why am I reminded of Kevin and Gary Mabbutt 

I think we ended up with the wrong end of that one. Although we wouldn’t have believed it after Kevin’s hat trick at Man Utd.

The one contact I had with Gary is when he was as a surprise guest to hand out the medals at a Bristol schools cup final. 
We lost, then realised we weren’t getting a medal but a certificate and then it was going to be presented by Bristol Rovers Gary Mabbutt!!!

The triple whammy was too much for us to take and we all launched our certificates in the air and trudged off in extreme disappointment.

Our PE teacher was mortified.

Let's just remember that whilst we may have lost this particular player to a rival we have also seen Bell, Conway, Scott, Pearson, Britton and Towler all of a similar age and all getting minutes at a level which is so far in excess of Southern League (Western Division) football it's untrue. Make no mistake, you have to be a very good player at that age to play in the Southern League but, again, don't forget that Bell, Conway, Britton and Pearson were all performing on loan in higher leagues than Mangotsfield play over the last 12 months. One or two of those players are likely to be a part of our first team squad next season and the rest probably on football league loans. Not exactly a sad indictment of our youth policy.

I know Tinnion gets out and about and we were certainly looking at Ryan Jones who was at Weston Super Mare and is now at the Tesco Bags but you cannot hoover up every young player in the region and have a squad of about 46 unhappy players therefore you have to make a judgement call on whether the lad you are looking at has the same level of ability and potential as his equivalent in the Academy/Under 23's (who incidentally won their league this season). Maybe our youth teams are finally at a level where the bar is now set quite high to get in?

Some slip through the net and a lot more end up doing nothing of note proving you were right all along to pass up the opportunity on them.

Bit of a stupid comment from Gregor when you look at the performance of our youth section in recent times.

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

younger Brother signs for rivals.....why am I reminded of Kevin and Gary Mabbutt 

Gary ever get a chance with us?

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Gary ever get a chance with us?

Archived