IGNORED

Steven Davies under the cosh podcast

pride of the west

Really interesting that. Interesting McInnes allegedly had £3.5m to spend on a striker and a centre back. Davies turns up, expecting another CB to come in, and see's Sam Baldock :laugh:.

He makes a point that attacking-wise, we were pretty decent, and I don't think we realised what we had at the time in himself and Baldock, with Bolasie and Adomah on the wings. But with our defence at the time (Fontaine, Nyatanga, Foster, Wilson, etc) we were lacking hugely.

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Really interesting that. Interesting McInnes allegedly had £3.5m to spend on a striker and a centre back. Davies turns up, expecting another CB to come in, and see's Sam Baldock :laugh:.

He makes a point that attacking-wise, we were pretty decent, and I don't think we realised what we had at the time in himself and Baldock, with Bolasie and Adomah on the wings. But with our defence at the time (Fontaine, Nyatanga, Foster, Wilson, etc) we were lacking hugely.

You’re not giving justice to the absolute leviathan that was Ryan Mcgivern

35 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Good to know we weren't all going crazy thinking we needed a defender and not another striker at the time after all.

These type of podcasts always make me laugh. 90% of the information is recalled completely incorrect ?

Like how at Blackpool they had two foreign goalkeepers as their only substitutes for their season opener (swore on his Daughters life and all!), everyone was blowing but they couldn't make a sub... turns out they had 4 substitutes and only made one...

Oh and our flying winger Bolasie that gave Baldock and Davies brilliant service for the season... Bolasie with his one appearance before moving to Palace...

Why spoil a good story with the truth, ey!

5 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

These type of podcasts always make me laugh. 90% of the information is recalled completely incorrect ?

Like how at Blackpool they had two foreign goalkeepers as their only substitutes for their season opener (swore on his Daughters life and all!), everyone was blowing but they couldn't make a sub... turns out they had 4 substitutes and only made one...

Oh and our flying winger Bolasie that gave Baldock and Davies brilliant service for the season... Bolasie with his one appearance before moving to Palace...

You do realise Bolasie made 23 appearances? 

But on the Blackpool stuff, even if senior players weren't registered surely they could have stuck academy players on the bench? 

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You do realise Bolasie made 23 appearances? 

But on the Blackpool stuff, even if senior players weren't registered surely they could have stuck academy players on the bench? 

I'm talking about the season Steven Davies was here. He played the 23 the season before.

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Bolasie was only with us for 1 season?

Yeah the 2011-12 season, he scored a goal v Coventry at home to help us seal our safety.

Season after 2012-13 he left for Palace. The same season Steve Davies joined. In the podcast above Davies talks about the service he and Baldock received from Adomah and Bolasie in the season he was here... but Bolasie never made an appearance with Davies because he had already left.

Just find it amusing some of the stories these ex pros seem to imagine up (see it time and time again ?) Harry Redknapp the worst for it

9 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Yeah the 2011-12 season, he scored a goal v Coventry at home to help us seal our safety.

Season after 2012-13 he left for Palace. The same season Steve Davies joined. In the podcast above Davies talks about the service he and Baldock received from Adomah and Bolasie in the season he was here... but Bolasie never made an appearance with Davies because he had already left.

Just find it amusing some of the stories these ex pros seem to imagine up (see it time and time again ?) Harry Redknapp the worst for it

Got it cheers, had it in my head for some reason that Davies and Baldock were both here for the season before not sure why, despite the fact Davies talked about McInnes leaving.

1 hour ago, RonWalker said:

Good to know we weren't all going crazy thinking we needed a defender and not another striker at the time after all.

McInnes always likes to spin it that he failed here because he wasn’t backed & we were a mess.

Fact is he spent all his funds on strikers & brought in a right load of shite from Scotland (Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Stephen McManus, Jody Morris) for the rest of the positions that needed filling.

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

I was thinking the same. Had to look up that Blackpool season opener; Davies wasn’t even playing that day! 

Some very funny stuff in the podcast about Phil Parkinson.  Apparently he once told Steve Davies on a Monday that he would be in the team on Saturday, but when Friday came along he wasn't in the team when it was announced.  He was furious and went to see Parkinson, who was managing Blackpool at the time, and reminded him that he had been told he would play, and Parkinson simply turned to his board, which had the team laid out in a 4-4-2 formation, took a midfielder out, put Davies in and changed it to 4-3-3!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

McInnes always likes to spin it that he failed here because he wasn’t backed & we were a mess.

Fact is he spent all his funds on strikers & brought in a right load of shite from Scotland (Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Stephen McManus, Jody Morris) for the rest of the positions that needed filling.

Guess who was running the recruitment team that summer.......... I’ll give you a clue - he’s currently house hunting in Suffolk. 

Davies makes reference to both him and Baldock coming in and seemingly we were chasing both of them hoping 1 would sign, but they both ended up signing. 
I don’t think DMc had the sign off on that! 

A mistake repeated a few years later when we enquired to the England FA about 2 of their coaches, needing one but ending up with both. 

Glad that ******* charlatan has gone. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Guess who was running the recruitment team that summer.......... I’ll give you a clue - he’s currently house hunting in Suffolk. 

Davies makes reference to both him and Baldock coming in and seemingly we were chasing both of them hoping 1 would sign, but they both ended up signing. 

A mistake repeated a few years later when we enquired to the England FA about 2 of their coaches, needing one but ending up with both. 

Surely you just pick one, you only get 2 if you want 2? It's not FIFA, you can say oh we got our first choice lets move on....

Although Davies, Baldock, Heaton, Cunningham, Anderson were all decent signings to be fair!

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was Lansdown who decided to blow the budget on forwards instead of addressing our defensive frailties.  

That said, McInnes was offered Flint by Lansdown but he didn't fancy him. He was then offered to SOD a few months later and he said yes (despite whinging about the transfer fee!)

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He really did take the piss. What a waste of a wage that was. 

Archived