IGNORED

Steven Davies under the cosh podcast

pride of the west

My understanding of the baldock signing at the time was that we were still owed money from West Ham for Nicky Maynard and they offered us Sam baldock at a reduced rate in return for us wiping that debt. So presumably baldock’s market value was say £5m, and they offered him to us for half that and we obviously thought that was too good to refuse rather than wait for the rest of the Maynard cash. Could’ve been rubbish terrace talk though. 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

McInnes always likes to spin it that he failed here because he wasn’t backed & we were a mess.

Fact is he spent all his funds on strikers & brought in a right load of shite from Scotland (Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Stephen McManus, Jody Morris) for the rest of the positions that needed filling.

His main problem and his eventual sacking was because he chopped and changed almost every match - we had zero continuity defensively. That said with the defenders he had and bought in it was no surprise he couldn’t find the right combination

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Some very funny stuff in the podcast about Phil Parkinson.  Apparently he once told Steve Davies on a Monday that he would be in the team on Saturday, but when Friday came along he wasn't in the team when it was announced.  He was furious and went to see Parkinson, who was managing Blackpool at the time, and reminded him that he had been told he would play, and Parkinson simply turned to his board, which had the team laid out in a 4-4-2 formation, took a midfielder out, put Davies in and changed it to 4-3-3!

Alby said similar things too.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was Lansdown who decided to blow the budget on forwards instead of addressing our defensive frailties.  

That said, McInnes was offered Flint by Lansdown but he didn't fancy him. He was then offered to SOD a few months later and he said yes (despite whinging about the transfer fee!)

No doubt Lansdown did indeed have the final say. 
Just saying that a certain person was overseeing the recruitment during that summer, so it’s no surprise to me that things went a bit disjointed. 

Re Flint, and Sods comments, remember mate, I was in the managers office the day before we signed him, so I know exactly what sod thought of him, but he just wanted us to push for a slightly better deal. 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Guess who was running the recruitment team that summer.......... I’ll give you a clue - he’s currently house hunting in Suffolk. 

Davies makes reference to both him and Baldock coming in and seemingly we were chasing both of them hoping 1 would sign, but they both ended up signing. 
I don’t think DMc had the sign off on that! 

A mistake repeated a few years later when we enquired to the England FA about 2 of their coaches, needing one but ending up with both. 

Glad that ******* charlatan has gone. 

Seriously?!

******* hellfire.

Speaks briefly about his time at City in part 2 of Undr The Cosh podcast on YouTube.

When McInnes approached Davies he explained the board had given him 3 million to get a striker and a centre half and that he was his man. Davies signed from Derby for 1 million leaving 2 million for a defender. The day he signed his contract along came Sam Baldock also signing on.

He states that McInnes had spent all of his transfer money on two strikers rather than getting some defenders in.

Soon after he spoke about Blackburn coming to Ashton Gate and winning 5-3

”It was me and Sam Baldock upfront, Albert Adomah on the right, Yannick Bolasie on the left. You’re telling me you couldn’t just stand there and tap them in? It was brilliant as a forward but defending wise we were f****** hopeless. We’d concede 3 or 4 goals every week but it was his decision to buy the players he did and was part of the reason why he was sacked.”

“If you’re a championship manager at the time you’re thinking he’s (Davies) just scored 15 for derby and he’s (Baldock) just scored 20 for West Ham there’s 35 goals put them upfront and try to outscore everyone else but we didn’t we were like a f****** sieve at the back.”

Bristol City talk 41 mins in. Also talks about McInnes telling Jody Morris to turn down the St Johnstone job to be player coach at City and pretty much left him to rot in the reserves.

9 hours ago, JS said:

Soon after he spoke about Blackburn coming to Ashton Gate and winning 5-3”It was me and Sam Baldock upfront, Albert Adomah on the right, Yannick Bolasie on the left. You’re telling me you couldn’t just stand there and tap them in?

Except for the fact that he never played a single minute with Bolasie and was only here for 3 days before Bolasie left. 
Perhaps the drink affected his memory..... 

Archived