IGNORED

Conway, O. Edwards, Towler & Pearson sign new deals

Unan

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is why to a large extent we move players quickly into the next group ahead of time.  The u23s isn’t really u23s but u20s, and made up with several who are u18s (Scott, Benarous, etc).  That stops the log-jam, and a conscious club policy from hearing Tinnion, Probert etc.

Could we run two Under 23 sides?

One in the current set up.

Another to play friendlies against first teams of our local semi pro club's like WSM, Taunton, Bath etc?

Selective half season loans to League's One/Two and National leagues?

Whatever we do, it will never be a perfect pathway and the more good graduates to Championship football we create, the more we will have to move others on. Too old for City at 27 years? ?

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So the answer to make them Championship ready, according to your post, is to not play them in the Championship?

A strategy that's already lost a number of promising players because we havent played them and wrecked the likes of Vyner etc. 

If they're good enough, play them. No romanticism in that whatsoever and those that have played have shown they're good enough, and need games at this level. 

I get that your post shows concerns, however developing other teams players as opposed to our own has actually cost us longer term. 

Now we can can blood our own, it makes sense to, fiscally, development wise as well as solving a multitude of issues. 

I, like any on here, remember a clutch of youth players forming the nucleus of Dicks' promotion winning team 

A couple of decades later Alex (you never win anything with kids) Ferguson`s decade of success was founded on the group of youth players coming through together. 

I'm not suggesting our lads are as good as Dicks' players or Fergie's class of 92/3  but none disgraced themselves when exposed to possibly the most abysmal City team for a long time. 

The financial climate might impact heavily on clubs' transfer plans this summer. If, as a result, more clubs are forced to use young players then I think we will be much better placed than most. 

It looks as though the academy set up is one of the 5 pillars that has worked. Perhaps because Ashton had little to no involvement in it!

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It looks as though the academy set up is one of the 5 pillars that has worked. Perhaps because Ashton had little to no involvement in it!

How very date you! Mark Ashton INVENTED academies. All of them. Everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

I thought all the 23’s we saw last season looked capable in this league. Now we got quality coming through we need the right blend of experience to bring out there best.  As we’ve heard many years ago you don’t win anything with kids. Yes of course some might drown.  It was difficult last for them in a struggling side, that’s history now learn from It and move forward.  Exciting to see, one can’t wait to watch these lads develop next season into championship players. The key for me is having the right blend.

I didn’t think that about most of them at all. It’s no criticism of them - they were asked to do something they weren’t quite ready for. They’ll be a little better next season but they are unlikely to be Championship ready. (eg 20+ starts and performing at a consistently high level). They might play bit parts but that’s all it will be for most of them, especially if we want to avoid a massive struggle.
The quality of summer recruitment and the fitness and form of returning players will be the two biggest factors next season, not the kids.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So the answer to make them Championship ready, according to your post, is to not play them in the Championship?

A strategy that's already lost a number of promising players because we havent played them and wrecked the likes of Vyner etc. 

If they're good enough, play them. No romanticism in that whatsoever and those that have played have shown they're good enough, and need games at this level. 

I get that your post shows concerns, however developing other teams players as opposed to our own has actually cost us longer term. 

Now we can can blood our own, it makes sense to, fiscally, development wise as well as solving a multitude of issues. 

That's my point - they're not good enough. Yet. They played because we had little to lose/choice. 

You do have to manage a young player's development. Semenyo and Bakinson had significant game time last season because they've been developed by loans and time (although Semenyo still gets pelters on here from some, saying he's not this, that or the other. I think he's at a decent level now because he's been given time to develop).

The Championship is a very tough league (highly-competitive, good standard, 46 gruelling games). Loaning players to get used to league football is not a bad policy. Or we could just thrown in all the kids, say how great it is to see so many Bristol lads playing, and watch us get relegated...

As for Vyner - he started 38 games at 23yo last season. I'm not sure what your point is.

Great news that young players are being offered longer contracts and because of the injuries this season have been blooded in the first team, couple of questions though...

Are there rules around squad sizes and do academy graduates count towards that number?

I know these lads were more played out of necessity than anything this season, but are you of the view that not having fans in the stadium probably made that a bit easier for them?

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Great news that young players are being offered longer contracts and because of the injuries this season have been blooded in the first team, couple of questions though...

Are there rules around squad sizes and do academy graduates count towards that number?

I know these lads were more played out of necessity than anything this season, but are you of the view that not having fans in the stadium probably made that a bit easier for them?

25 man squad list.  U21s are excluded, e.g. Massengo was on the u21 list last season.

Heres last seasons squad list as at the end of the Jan window to give you an example.

8D443F32-899D-424C-8C38-E07F71FB63C8.thumb.png.93851c61b2729aed90de7da016ee7d86.png
5770EF67-E5B6-4592-82A1-8C434DBCD8E9.thumb.png.01b32ed4ac9a68974a1ea2035fc3fd5e.png

5 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

When I started on a graduate training programme, they said it was a development path to Board level.

Why didn't they just appoint me to the Board? I could have learned whilst working.

8 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Thanks for the false equivalence there. 

However to answer your point, specifically, that's what the academy is, to learn the job, or did that sailent point go over your head... ? 

It's "salient", and the academy is the equivalent of a training scheme. Those players come out never having played men's football. 

And my point was EXACTLY what you were suggesting.

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Didn't read like it tbh. However there you go. 

If your post suggested nursing where people have on the job training in different placements or, loans as it were whilst learning, you may have had a point. 

However, once you've learned the skills, tactics fitness etc and played youth football you've already done that work and been assessed reviewed and updated or released etc. 

Football isnt all that complicated as a rule and once trained players should then be able to, er, play. Playing league 1 to get champs experience is a misnomer the only way to actually get that is by playing in it. 

But isn't the point of loaning our youngsters out to give them some experience of playing 'mens' football, rather than U23 or even U18?

I don't think there is any suggestion that by playing in League One they might gain Championship experience. 

Archived