IGNORED

Fam always wanted to stay

CyderInACan

48 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

According to his “goodbye” tweet, anyway. I find that hard to believe given his nosedive in effort towards the last few months of the season. Or am I being harsh!?

01488C74-5D9D-45D0-817F-B18DD6E6B13C.png

I don't know. Who knows what really was going on and what contract he was offered? It's not always to do with money, the terms and conditions could've been bad. It's made me sad now…:crying:

Fam gets no credit for how he performed over his last month in the side but did anyone seriously believe Ashton when he said he was offered the biggest contract in our history? On more than say, Kalas?

**** off, you lying permatanned manual manipulator.

Something completely disingenuous about everything to do with this.

Lets not forget that this information was given to a Sky commentator over a coffee and released during the Norwich game. Not through Radio Bristol, or Gregor, or the official site, and Mark Ashton was quoted directly.

As I have said before and I will say again, Ashton appears to have dropped a lot of plates during the time he was brokering his escape plan to Ipswich, and I can only imagine the view of the players on him. Absolutely disgraceful that he can paper over what he has done here and not be held to professional account.

And with all of this it just goes to show that none of us will ever know what goes on behind the scenes.

Old skinheadface has made an assumption like I have seen posted on here about Fam definitely wanting to leave just because we have heard one side of the story.

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Lets not forget that this information was given to a Sky commentator over a coffee and released during the Norwich game. Not through Radio Bristol, or Gregor, or the official site, and Mark Ashton was quoted directly.

As I have said before and I will say again, Ashton appears to have dropped a lot of plates during the time he was brokering his escape plan to Ipswich, and I can only imagine the view of the players on him. Absolutely disgraceful that he can paper over what he has done here and not be held to professional account.

I agree with you however our owner gave him a free reign to run the club as he saw fit, he would have been watching the Norwich game and new what was being said so he is just as culpable. 

Just now, frenchred said:

I agree with you however our owner gave him a free reign to run the club as he saw fit, he would have been watching the Norwich game and new what was being said so he is just as culpable. 

Agree, in the best case scenario SL was trusting of a professional that pulled the wool over his eyes, I hope this is the case and it feels like once SL took a look behind the curtain he was horrified, hence the massive changes.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The thing is, I have the impression that Fam might have wanted to stay, but that his "agents" or those with a vested interest in him wanted a move to maximise their commission.

Agree. No doubt Fam would've liked to stay but I also suspect him and his representatives (and there are several) know that he can earn more money elsewhere, including a hefty signing on fee.

Instead of looking for controversy, we might just have to accept this situation came down to basic economics. 

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Yep, someone said to me at the time, he didn’t just let that slip to Gary Weaver at Norwich, he did it for a reason.

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Absolutely.  We can put a lot of blame at Ashton’s door, but instruction comes from above.

Maybe Diedhiou wanted to stay but he didn’t exactly bust a gut to prove it since January did he.

Would be interesting to see if he tries to come back to City if he doesn’t get fixed up with a new club. 

As for his comments on Ashton not offering him  ‘the biggest contract ever’ , how would he know what that was? 

I am certain that he was offered excellent terms to stay but he thought he could do better elsewhere so good luck to him.

Next.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Maybe Diedhiou wanted to stay but he didn’t exactly bust a gut to prove it since January did he.

Would be interesting to see if he tries to come back to City if he doesn’t get fixed up with a new club. 

Can you blame him? If he did want to stay then its hardly motivating not to be offered a contract and hear that the top man offered you the best thing since sliced bread knowing it was all bollox. I know who I believe.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree. No doubt Fam would've liked to stay but I also suspect him and his representatives (and there are several) know that he can earn more money elsewhere, including a hefty signing on fee.

Instead of looking for controversy, we might just have to accept this situation came down to basic economics. 

Yeah I suspect there’s a bit of truth and a bit of exaggeration in each story, I expect Famara wanted to stay……. At the right price which we probably thought was more than we felt he was worth.

the line of biggest contract city have offered could easily be Ashton embellishing but I can’t see it having been a small offer we made

Could it be the case that Ashton hasn't been "bending the truth", but has simply been outright lying to us?

Fam's comments also suggest that the players may not think much of Ashton. Could this be why we've struggled to sort a deal with Walsh (and others)?

I'm a bit shocked by just how comical/farcical some of the stuff now coming out about Ashton is. Surely, as Mark Ashton's direct superior, huge questions have to be asked about Jon Lansdown following all this?

I think Fam enjoyed his time here, is equally a good player and nice guy. 20 years ago he probably stays here its a different world these days so off he goes to the highest payer. I wish him all the best and don't understand any of our fans wanting to get into a Twitter argument.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah I suspect there’s a bit of truth and a bit of exaggeration in each story, I expect Famara wanted to stay……. At the right price which we probably thought was more than we felt he was worth.

the line of biggest contract city have offered could easily be Ashton embellishing but I can’t see it having been a small offer we made

did we actually make one?

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Could it be the case that Ashton hasn't been "bending the truth", but has simply been outright lying to us?

Fam's comments also suggest that the players may not think much of Ashton. Could this be why we've struggled to sort a deal with Walsh (and others)?

I'm a bit shocked by just how comical/farcical some of the stuff now coming out about Ashton is. Surely, as Mark Ashton's direct superior, huge questions have to be asked about Jon Lansdown following all this?

Now coming out?  Been being said by some (me included) for a good few years….some as far back as 2012!

A mixture of "stuff coming out now", and "stuff I'm personally finding out about now", if I'm being more accurate.

e.g.

- I didn't know about the Head of Sports Science only having the experience of a few months at Stevenage. Others may have known.

- I don't think anyone had such strong evidence of Ashton simply lying about contracts as this though.

I can't remember as much controversy about him in his first few years here. Maybe I was just a bit out of the loop with it back then. 

Archived