IGNORED

Fam always wanted to stay

CyderInACan

I think the actual terminology was "one of the best" contract offers we have made.

As many have said, I am sure it was a very good offer, and in light of the market and footy revenue at the moment, I suspect the club is quietly glad he did not sign it.

I am sure his decision making has been influenced by the multiple greedy agents and hangers-on we understand that he has, I suspect they have all over promised and will under deliver in terms of his earnings, but no worries as I am sure the agents pockets will be well lined as always...

As for his performances, I don't think this years shockers were down to him being on the beach, I think he has always been very hit or miss, he goes through phases of being unplayable to being simply unable to play football. He has games where he is everywhere and others where he is invisible... I suspect he will ever be thus!

I also think we can do better for the money and firmly remain trusting in NP to get most of these calls right. i think if NP had seen Fam as essential, he would still be here.

16 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I am sure his decision making has been influenced by the multiple greedy agents and hangers-on we understand that he has, I suspect they have all over promised and will under deliver in terms of his earnings, but no worries as I am sure the agents pockets will be well lined as always...

Surely It's in their interests to get him to be up front in wanting to leave but signing a new deal with intent to get the best transfer fee the club can get?

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree. No doubt Fam would've liked to stay but I also suspect him and his representatives (and there are several) know that he can earn more money elsewhere, including a hefty signing on fee.

Instead of looking for controversy, we might just have to accept this situation came down to basic economics. 

⬆️ This.

Fam might have 'wanted' to stay, but he was made an offer and didn't sign. Or the terms he asked for were unreasonable. It's an uncertain market, he bluffed, City didn't buy it. 

Enjoy Teesside. 

44 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Could it be the case that Ashton hasn't been "bending the truth", but has simply been outright lying to us?

Fam's comments also suggest that the players may not think much of Ashton. Could this be why we've struggled to sort a deal with Walsh (and others)?

I'm a bit shocked by just how comical/farcical some of the stuff now coming out about Ashton is. Surely, as Mark Ashton's direct superior, huge questions have to be asked about Jon Lansdown following all this?

Or could it be that Fam isn't being fully truthful? Or it's a bit of both - the club and player couldn't agree. 

Both parties move on.

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Or could it be that Fam isn't being fully truthful? Or it's a bit of both - the club and player couldn't agree. 

Both parties move on.

This is the most likely position I think not sure I believe either of them and either way I am not disappointed he’s gone. 

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

⬆️ This.

Fam might have 'wanted' to stay, but he was made an offer and didn't sign. Or the terms he asked for were unreasonable. It's an uncertain market, he bluffed, City didn't buy it. 

Enjoy Teesside. 

Pretty much how i see it, he says he always wanted to stay, and if we offered 1 million signing on fee and 50k per week im sure he would have stayed. However clearly apart from signing for us 4 years ago he has no affinity for us, and will move in to whoever pays him the most...

ashton is a charlatan, but fam has done very well out of bristol city and him coming out saying how much he loved it while running his contract down to secure a bigger contract elsewhere leaves a bitter taste, they can both **** off as far as im concerned.

14 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

⬆️ This.

Enjoy Teesside. 

So by that then, in January, the person responsible for tying down a £5.3m asset to a contract, or getting a compensatory fee for him if he was not going to sign had no idea and left it to a game of chance and bluffs?

Sorry don’t buy that.

Surely we know or should know through him and his representatives what it would take for him to say. The basics of economics make that affordable or not. It becomes a yes or no and the balance of decision should always be with the club if they were doing their jobs properly.

If we did not want him to stay, or could not afford what he wanted, then decisiveness and leadership was needed to sell him or drop him from the squad.

The “value on the pitch”, “one of our best ever contract offers” farce is not laughable in hindsight and was clearly a face-saving stand-point for a deficiency in Ashtons duty in the role. It also meant all the other players who we now know were not offered contracts must have been scratching their heads.

The day Johnson left (rightly), in hindsight, has set about a chain of embarrassing decisions made by this club, sadly, but predictably mainly due to the “House of Cards” that Ashton had built.

And whilst I am at it, I believe Fam should have gone anyway a couple of years ago when it was obvious he was never going to get 20 goals a season and blew hot and cold. Seems harsh based on his goal return and likeability but all in all not sure he was ever value for the money or loyalty we showed him.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Fam gets no credit for how he performed over his last month in the side but did anyone seriously believe Ashton when he said he was offered the biggest contract in our history? On more than say, Kalas?

**** off, you lying permatanned manual manipulator.

Again, we go back to the mental side of the pro footballer's life. It's easy from the outside in

How would you feel in your job if your employer is lying about the situation to make you out as the bad guy? Motivated? Probably not.

It's easy to say he "downed tools" because he didn't want injury or something but imagine you've made your dream move to the UK, you've established yourself as a bit of a fan favourite, made it into an illustrious list of top goalscorers and then suddenly you're turned on and made out as a scape goat? Now your future is in doubt, you might not only have no job but you might have to uproot and move country again?

Maybe the reason he continued to appear so much in the first team is because he did genuinely want to play, or because the people picking the team knew he wasn't at fault?

Could be any twist of events here, Fam could easily be lying or selective with the truth, I guess we'll never know but if Ashton was lying then I don't necessarily blame Fam for his lack of focus/motivation/"effort" whether it was intentional or not.

TBFK , or perchance his agent, clearly has an over-inflated opinion as to his talents. Whatever game he was playing or (as since Xmas) wasn't I sincerely trust it doesn't work in his favour.

Bye. We move on better without you.

The contract situation is what it is. I'm sure we made him a good offer, I'm sure he received better, I think it's worked out best for everyone to be honest. What does grate slightly is the complete lack of effort made once the January window closed, for all the talk of "I wanted to stay", he didn't exactly put in the performances of someone desperate to earn themselves a new deal.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, his first priority is and should be his own career, but he can't have it both ways. The bitter comments on Twitter are strange tho, I've never been 100% convinced by Fam but he's been a good servant for the club and managed to score quite a few goals with absolutely no service (although he did love to miss an open goal).

Let me be clear on this OTIB, Mark Ashton is a charlatan. Even Gregor McGregor is saying Ashton would’ve had a nightmare interview the next time he spoke to the media, as there were so many car crashes at the same time.

let me be clear, Watkins, Walsh, Diedhou, adelekun, Weimann, Baker Hunt  etc all came in under the fantastic human that is Ashton. To get a grand total of £0 back, its apocalyptic. Millions spent, some Of these players contributed nothing whilst here, and leave on a free. 

I believe Fam 100%. The way a lot of players downed tools always suggested to me that there was something far more sinister at the core of the clubs problems. Walsh leaving also suggests to me that a) Ashton was lying about “looking him in the whites of his eyes” b) he had enough of the circus. Best mates with Williams, so thank god the jobs for the boys team has gone, else he would’ve been next out the door.

shambles of a man, shame on us for letting him tear our club down for his own gain. Good luck Ipswich 

16 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Can you blame him? If he did want to stay then its hardly motivating not to be offered a contract and hear that the top man offered you the best thing since sliced bread knowing it was all bollox. I know who I believe.

Irrespective of your viewpoint on Ashton or Diedhiou he was a then record signing coming to the end of his contract. Presumably his agents would have negotiated a substantial contract in the first place so I would think its fair to say that a contract of of a similar size would have been on the table in January to protect the club's investment. I think Ashton making the offer public knowledge was in the hope of an inducement to sign. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't come out and said anything about the contract at the time so the impression is that he's quite happily left it to his advisors. He's stated now that he wanted to stay but performances on the pitch [where it really matters] tell a different story.

Whether he gets a better deal elsewhere in this country remains to be seen especially in this covid climate but my thoughts are that he will get a better deal in the far east. He could've signed with an agreement to move on at the end of the season with the club protecting their interests if he really wanted to.

I don't blame the bloke for trying to get the best possible deal and the only sure fire way he could do that was by being out of contract and moving on. In doing so the club misses out on any transfer money so all this " I really wanted to stay"  I would take with a pinch of salt. It would've been far better him saying I really enjoyed my time at City

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah I suspect there’s a bit of truth and a bit of exaggeration in each story, I expect Famara wanted to stay……. At the right price which we probably thought was more than we felt he was worth.

the line of biggest contract city have offered could easily be Ashton embellishing but I can’t see it having been a small offer we made

What constitutes an offer then?

If he wanted to stay that much, firstly he could have signed a contract months ago, and secondly he could have given a bit of effort since the window closed.

Trying to make himself look better now he has no club? No offers on the table?

I defended him many times, 2nd half of the season is unforgivable though.

11 minutes ago, Taz said:

If he wanted to stay that much, firstly he could have signed a contract months ago, and secondly he could have given a bit of effort since the window closed.

Trying to make himself look better now he has no club? No offers on the table?

I defended him many times, 2nd half of the season is unforgivable though.

Its for this reason and many others on here that it is just unsatisfactory and unsavoury all round.

This is the clubs fault, once the player missed a deadline (not that there appeared to be one) for signing, you sell or discard from the matchday club.

We were left with an out of contract, out of form, unhappy centre-forward, through professional incompetence, which we then compounded by basically saying he would start every week regardless “value on the pitch”.

Complete shambles.

He's not the first player to mentally leave the club a bit early and he won't be the last.

Pearson still played him until we were safe, which suggests he isn't quite as useless as a number of people make out.

Personally speaking, I wish him well and thank him for his goals and in particular that long period of toiling on his own up front with no service under Johnson.

25 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Played for himself the last 6 months.

Not the team.

Simple as that.

Didn't do himself or anybody else any favours though. 

I get the not busting a gut to put himself in harms way with regards to picking up an injury, but at least put in some effort.

During his time here, he did well, and scored some very good goals. Unfortunately the last 4 months will be all some remember him by. That unfortunately, is completely on him.

Given how rapidly 11 players were released last week we haven't had 'goodbye' threads like when a player is sold and usually has their own thread. Think it's worth saying Fam has been a great servant of this club and provided many great moments over the last 4 seasons. Stopped performing at the end, maybe to do with Ashton p'ing him off, but that aside he's been very good and an important part of our squad that has become established in the second tier.

Thanks Fam. I'll miss our man from Knowle.

Ive always said that for all of fans’ criticism - poor first touch etc. - defenders must hate playing against him, as he’s an awkward player.

The problem with a player like Fam, is that with him in the team it tends to dictate the way the team play going forward. In particular, when we are struggling his presence up front makes the big hoof out of defence an all too easy option.

That we (MA) made  mistake in not getting a fee for him clear. As for missing him, I quite liked him as a player and he often had a thankless task playing up front as a lone striker, but  think Pearson will get us playing a little differently, and hopefully more dynamically, with different striking options.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't know. Who knows what really was going on and what contract he was offered? It's not always to do with money, the terms and conditions could've been bad. It's made me sad now…:crying:

I think it is usually always  about the money.

What a surprise. Fam outs Ashton for the smarmy, bullshitting liar he really is. It was only a matter of time before someone lifted the lid. 

Regardless of whether Fam wanted to stay, his performances since Boro away were a disgrace IMO. 

Archived